What Bourbon did you pass up? Summer 2016

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on Baby Saz for $29.99.  I probably should have grabbed it, but, I have a few rye whiskies next in line to try and I have seen it semi-regularly. 

Cooper's Craft for $45.  82 proof.... meh.

Agree this is an easy pass for me. Lots of it on the shelves

15 hours ago, Hop said:

Agree this is an easy pass for me. Lots of it on the shelves

Yeah, looks like another shelf turd for B-F, right next to many of the Woodford Master's Collection. They should just stick to trying to make the best Old Forester Signature they can! Jazz up that package if they need to but keep putting good quality whiskey in the bottle far a reasonable price as they are doing now and it will sell!

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:30 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed on a rowans creek today.....may go back and get it. Saw another kcw2001 for 119.99, and a Willett I passed on...funny looking bottle.

I like both Rowan's Creek and the Willet Pot Still (the old single barrel, I have not tried the newer Small Batch).

Edited by Kepler

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, PaulO said:

I know some people like it, but to me Stagg Jr. just isn't a $50 bottle.

That's what I thought when I first opened my bottle of batch #4.  Nine months of air time and a half-bottle later, this half empty bottle is now probably my favorite $50 bottle. I found you have to give it plenty of time and air to come into its own. Granted, this kind of "high maintenance" probably isn't for everyone, but it is rewarding to those who wait.

Passed on a Knob Creek in a 2015 Belmont Stakes bottle. Nothing special about the liquid, just the bottle. 

I have discovered a great little store a county south of me. Stopped in last night for a few bottles and he had the Rhetoric 21 ($109.99) and the Rhetoric 22 ($149.99). Would like to try them before plopping down that much. 

I just picked up a bottle of the rhetoric 22 for $140. I hope it's good. 

As for bottles passed up. I was at a store in Portland Oregon that had 6 bottles of OWA on the shelf for $27. I grabbed one to drink while there, but had no way of getting the rest home to NY. ????

I've passed free samples of that stuff.  No thanks, don't even want to risk a funny taste in my mouth that might linger (shudder).

Within roughly the last month - Yippee-Ky-Yay, KC 2001, Batch, CEHTBP, Rhetoric 22.  Plus about a hundred more.

Passed on a Four Roses PS.  OESF, I think.  I normally buy FRPS sight unseen (bourbon untasted?), but this is from a store notorious for mediocre picks.  Their typical MO is to take whatever the distillery will give them for the best price, but my understanding is that you can't get FRPS anymore without going to Four Roses, so I'm not sure what they did to get this barrel.  It's a new one, with the normal SB emo leather band around the neck instead of the old paper/plastic PS label.

OESF isn't really a recipe I seek out either, to be honest.  

Edited by garbanzobean

I saw the first Ancient Age I've seen around here in a long time; 80 proof plastic 1.75L.  I like that mash bill a lot.  I think it needs a bit more proof and or age.  

passed on several 4RPS because I couldn't remember what I already had at home and what recipes I needed to re-complete having all 10 on hand, 1792 SB, and Port Finish to leave for someone else, and all the usual suspects - seeing a lot of KC2001 sitting on shelves, still seeing a lot of WT Diamond and Masters Keep as well

On 7/26/2016 at 0:24 PM, PaulO said:

I saw the first Ancient Age I've seen around here in a long time; 80 proof plastic 1.75L.  I like that mash bill a lot.  I think it needs a bit more proof and or age.  

I see AA 90 proof occasionally.  I have never had it but have wondered what it tastes like compared to the 10 year. 

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I see AA 90 proof occasionally.  I have never had it but have wondered what it tastes like compared to the 10 year. 

If I saw the 90 and the price was reasonable, I'd probably get one.  I have had it in years past.  Those were bottles I picked up down south in KY or TN.  I recall that I thought it was at least ok.  The ten year has a lot more carmel and vanilla sweetness from the barrel.

I passed on a 750 ml of Wondertucky Bourbon yesterday. A bit pricey ($35.99) for what I perceive to be a fairly young whiskey. The distillery is only about an hour or so away, so I might have to visit there if and when I'm near that area.

Passed up on an ECBP Saturday, was hard to do, as I love that stuff, but have a few in the bunker and a dwindling bourbon budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Barrel Bourbon batch 7.     Even though I enjoyed batch 6, it appears those that have tasted batch 7 say it is disappointing.   Does anyone feel differently ? 

Almost talked a store selling a 2015 FRSmBLE down to $150 cash from $250.  Still significantly over MSRP, but I'm a sucker for that limited release and not too proud to admit it.  Anyway, the owner manager balked at the last minute and tried to act like he really meant $200, so I said thanks for considering my offer, paid for my beer, and left.  That store doesn't get a lot of whiskey nerd foot traffic based on what else they haven't sold through, so I'll probably wear him down eventually.  If not, I'm sure it'll go to a very happy owner at some point.

24 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Almost talked a store selling a 2015 FRSmBLE down to $150 cash from $250.  Still significantly over MSRP, but I'm a sucker for that limited release and not too proud to admit it.  Anyway, the owner manager balked at the last minute and tried to act like he really meant $200, so I said thanks for considering my offer, paid for my beer, and left.  That store doesn't get a lot of whiskey nerd foot traffic based on what else they haven't sold through, so I'll probably wear him down eventually.  If not, I'm sure it'll go to a very happy owner at some point.

No offense, but if I knew where you lived I would buy that for $200 tomorrow before you could make it back.

ive only had 4RLESmB in a bar, I'd kill for a whole bottle. 

Last weekend, passed on Booker's Rye at $399 and $326.  Might someday regret passing on the $326 but since the MSRP of $299 is priced at a real market type price, shouldn't have to pay over retail. Some places just can't help themselves and have to bump it up.

Also passed on ECBP at $89 (!) .... who pays that for this?  If you do it, please stop.

18 minutes ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

No offense, but if I knew where you lived I would buy that for $200 tomorrow before you could make it back.

ive only had 4RLESmB in a bar, I'd kill for a whole bottle. 

It's a free country, who am I to decide what another person does with his or her money?  It's a solid pass at $200.  Even by my internal worth o meter at $150 I'm pushing it for nostalgia's sake.  The store owner could probably sell it for $500 if he were smart enough to have a social media presence.  He's got the whole BTAC, ECBP, and a bunch of other stuff too.

passed on ETL @ $150, Stagg Jr for $80 at a shyster store and some Stagg Jr and EHTSB at regular prices at another store - I'm in good on shape on those so left them for someone else and told the owner good on him for not inflating his prices

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.