What Bourbon did you pass up? Summer 2016

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed an EWSB 2006....oldest I've seen on the shelf. Was 22.50...I'd rather buy a 750 or OWA I think....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Passed on W.L. Weller Centennial (Frankfort) for $140. I probably would have purchased it if it were Louisville.  

On August 20, 2016 at 0:34 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed an EWSB 2006....oldest I've seen on the shelf. Was 22.50...I'd rather buy a 750 or OWA I think....

What years are better than others.? 

What years are better than others.? 

Not sure.....I'd be interested in this as well.

Every one is a single barrel and every palate is different so there is no clear answer to me. As with most things related to bourbon these days there is a tendency to say that older versions are better. In the past 2 or 3 years one thing is very clear, the barrels are being dumped at much younger ages. It used to be rare as best I can recall to find one much less than 9.5 - 10 years of age. Now they seem to be getting closer to 8 years. That might be good or bad depending on your fondness for oak character. 

I seem to recall 2003 being a pretty good year among the more recent "vintages".

Edited by tanstaafl2

I've had various SBs from 2002-2005 and they've all been good.  I've not had any of the much younger releases, but I'm sure they're good too.  Typically HH bottles of bourbon don't last long when they get opened in my house though, so I may not be an unbiased reference.

I will say I like it a lot better in the $22-$24 range than the $30+ range.

Edited by garbanzobean

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Every one is a single barrel and every palate is different so there is no clear answer to me. As with most things related to bourbon these days there is a tendency to say that older versions are better. In the past 2 or 3 years one thing is very clear, the barrels are being dumped at much younger ages. It used to be rare as best I can recall to find one much less than 9.5 - 10 years of age. Now they seem to be getting closer to 8 years. That might be good or bad depending on your fondness for oak character. 

I seem to recall 2003 being a pretty good year among the more recent "vintages".

Bruce is absolutely right.    I was lucky enough to identify a certain barrel number of EWSB, Vintage '04; a 'honey' (to my own particular taste buddies) that was labeled as being selected by (probably actually 'for') Meijer's Super Stores in Michigan.    I found a total of 9 bottles from that barrel, at three different local Meijer's branches, and bought 'em all,  within the 5 or six weex that I sought them (not a determined search, just looked whenever I was at a Meijer's).    Every one was excellent; but NOT because of the year.   Because of the particular barrel.     Going back in time with the advantage of an admittedly imperfect memory, I think '02, and '03 Vintages were both 'better' on average than most of the ones after '05 or so.    BUT, you still can find a 'honey' (depending upon your own taste buds), if you're lucky, and it may be from any year. 

I wish a couple things: ONE- I wish the EWSB brand was 100-proof (or at least into the mid-nineties); TWO- I wish I'd kept some of the best bottles of EWSB from '02 & '03, or some samples to do a true comparison.   Might be instructive.

On 8/22/2016 at 8:45 PM, Richnimrod said:

. . . I wish a couple things: ONE- I wish the EWSB brand was 100-proof (or at least into the mid-nineties); TWO- I wish I'd kept some of the best bottles of EWSB from '02 & '03, or some samples to do a true comparison.   Might be instructive.

Just checked - I have one each Vintage 2003, 2004, and 2005 purchased, respectively, in early 2014, late 2014, and early 2015.  The 2003 was almost 11 years old at bottling; the other two were less than ten.  I think the current releases (some lingering 2006 and the 2007 I have not yet seen) were under ten but don't know as I didn't buy them.  All EWSBs are 86.6 proof.

I used to buy two bottles automatically (one for immediate tasting, one for future SBS), and if I liked it, rushed back to buy more from that barrel.  That stopped with the 2005 release.  I was so disappointed with the thinness and lack of complexity of the 2005 and 2006 that I decided not to buy it anymore.  Hence, the single bottles.  For less money, I can buy VOB BIB, EWW (Even Williams White label bonded, you guys) which, although not as satisfying as HH 6yr BIB, has some nice features, OGD BIB or JB BIB, OR for the same money, I can buy HMcK BIB

On an other thread last year (which I did not search for), many of us noted that the drifting down in age was causing the attractiveness of EWSB to drift downward.  We agreed it was good, but we think it was no longer "special" or "outstanding for its price and proof".

Bottom line - I'll watch for a Vintage 2007 and do a SBS with my 2003 just for you guys.

Was out in Washington state and Oregon last week sampling lots of craft beers and wines.  Hit Total Wine & More in Vancouver, WA (it was right across the street from our hotel) to check out their UnObtainium spirits and buy some local IPAs and fine Cabs/Pinots to take home.  Talk about "sticker shock" - the state of Washington has a 20.5% SST (state spirits tax?) tax on top of a 2% SLT (state liquor tax?) tax on top of a 6.5% sales tax!  What's up with that????????

So a bottle of $109.99 Black Maple Hill Oregon Rye (ok, ok - it's not bourbon I know) total price is $135.37 before the final sales tax.  Yes, I passed on any bourbon purchases.   :angry:

Good thing they didn't have any PVW or BTAC bottles in the back room . . . . .  ;)

And I thought Taxachusetts was bad.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.   :(

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling corrections

C'mon now...don't exaggerate. The sales tax is rolled into that 20.5%, not separate, as far as I know.

...And I'm pretty sure the sales tax at that location is more like 8.9%...

Edited by GrPeMi

9 hours ago, GrPeMi said:

C'mon now...don't exaggerate. The sales tax is rolled into that 20.5%, not separate, as far as I know.

...And I'm pretty sure the sales tax at that location is more like 8.9%...

Um, ok.  So sue me!   :P

But they did recommend some fine craft beers and a couple of great pinots.  Came home with a suitcase full of cold beer that was still cold when we got back to Boston.  Too bad we can't get ANY of the beers at home.  Had to "settle" for a couple of Rogue 7 Hops 4-paks here in Beantown.  Life is still good!   :lol:

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling and grammar corrections.

Checked one store this weekend in Wisconsin, and then had EWSB 2007, and a EWSB 2008 on the shelf.  Bottling dates were 22 days apart .  Sad to see the reduction in barrel aging for this product.  I have several 2004 bottles from a store select that I enjoyed.  Not sure what to think of this.

Passed this up at the Duty Free shop after getting some feedback from others. Didn't sound like something I'd enjoy. 

FB_IMG_1472582411158.jpg

3 hours ago, PappyStagg said:

Passed this up at the Duty Free shop after getting some feedback from others. Didn't sound like something I'd enjoy. 

FB_IMG_1472582411158.jpg

Hmm, peated bourbon. Well HW Campfire worked, at least for some people, so who knows. Seems a bit pricey though what is likely pretty basic Beam bourbon that has been having a dalliance with the dark side!

Been a while since I posted, kinda like the notion on being back among you guys.  Passed CEHT SmB ($40) and SiB ($63), ECBP ($68 I think) today.  Some of these things are hanging around on the shelves in stores I frequent - taking that as a good sign for longer-term availability.

After seeing these bottles on the top shelf, it was painfully obvious this store is not for the whiskey enthusiast :D

top shelf.jpg

Hmm, peated bourbon. Well HW Campfire worked, at least for some people, so who knows. Seems a bit pricey though what is likely pretty basic Beam bourbon that has been having a dalliance with the dark side!

Yeah but in a weird way it worked. I got periodic enjoyment out of it but it was rare. It took me years to finish the one bottle I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2016 at 9:39 PM, Vosgar said:

After seeing these bottles on the top shelf, it was painfully obvious this store is not for the whiskey enthusiast :D

top shelf.jpg

Amazing they chose those to put the "bottle locks" on.... :) 

Passed on some WT80 (while dusty, it is that way for good reason as far as I'm concerned!), and a $80 ETL.  Oddly enough, they had Blantons for $60 (which is a sad commentary on the market I think).  

On 8/31/2016 at 10:01 PM, Hop said:

Amazing they chose those to put the "bottle locks" on.... :) 

Maybe that was to keep the clientele from opening one and drinking it while shopping further down the shelf.  Interesting that they didn't care about the JB Apple.  

Passed on Knob Creek 2001.  $150 is just too much for a bottle with ho-hum reviews.  LE Beam juice would probably make me break my $100 cap if its something truly special, but this is not it.

7 minutes ago, miller542 said:

Passed on Knob Creek 2001.  $150 is just too much for a bottle with ho-hum reviews.  LE Beam juice would probably make me break my $100 cap if its something truly special, but this is not it.

I did buy one @ $133 plus sales tax IIRC.  I agree with your sentiments.  I am a basic KC bourbon fan (not so much the rye or the BP as basic 100 proof KC hits my upper age limit @ 9 years - I'm averse to oak in Chardonnay so . . .) so buying ONE bottle was almost required for me.  I'm glad I did, but I won't buy another - I'll use the $133 to buy more basic KC @ $22 per 750 on sale.

Frankly, one of the things I LOVE about straightbourbon is - enough of us buy all sorts of stuff and comment on it that, after reading a few thousand posts, I pretty much just know who has a palate that matches mine and who doesn't, so if somebody from EITHER of those postings groups like/dislike something or think it is/is not worth the price, I can take a flyer/not fly and be pretty sure I won't get burned/miss out too often.

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

"...

Frankly, one of the things I LOVE about straightbourbon is - enough of us buy all sorts of stuff and comment on it that, after reading a few thousand posts, I pretty much just know who has a palate that matches mine and who doesn't, so if somebody from EITHER of those postings groups like/dislike something or think it is/is not worth the price, I can take a flyer/not fly and be pretty sure I won't get burned/miss out too often."

Yes indeed, and since where I live isn't the first to get new releases - I've already gotten a lot of input.  People here keep it real.

parkers heritage collection 24 yr. 100 BIB for 249.99. I passed but almost pulled the trigger really fast when he told me it was 70.99....darn it

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.