What Bourbon did you pass up? Summer 2016

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a CEHT BP at $105.99.  I don't mind a 10% markup but 50%.  Not buying it. 

28 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Passed on a CEHT BP at $105.99.  I don't mind a 10% markup but 50%.  Not buying it. 

Saw some a couple of days ago for either $79.99 or $89.99. I still have a bottle from a year ago. I'm glad to see it around here though.

Passed on ETL for $51.99 plus tax. One bottle limit! And I really enjoy this bourbon.

Thankfully the bunker has plenty for later! Makes the decision to pass easy.

43 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Four Roses "Elliott's Select" at $399.95.  hah.

WOW!   I'd pass too, at that price, all day long.    I was discussing it with my main retailer yesterday, and he said if he was able to score any, he'd save me one at $160.    I thanked him profusely, and begged him to pass this one onto someone else who he really likes.

Walked into a store I don't frequent too often and they all of a sudden have:

PVW23 - $2,000

Saz18 - $800

Stagg - $600

WLW - $600

No price of the VW Rye. 

I passed. 

EC23 for $250.... yikes!  altho I think that's the normal MSRP for it, right? 

4 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Bookers rye at MSRp of $299. Store actually had two of them in. 

I think that's MSRP. 

I would've also passed. I wouldn't have a year ago. I've changed. Not going to go to those prices anymore.

Passed on 'Blood Oath' for umpteenth time (at any price).   These have been brought down from the top shelf and placed conspicuously on the counter.   Didn't make me reach the ole wallet, though.

^^^^I too, am seeing (and passing on) Blood Oath's that have been placed on the counters.  I'm just not interested...

54 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^I too, am seeing (and passing on) Blood Oath's that have been placed on the counters.  I'm just not interested...

This is perhaps a good sign that people other than us are starting to wise up to the pretty expensive packages.

21 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

EC23 for $250.... yikes!  altho I think that's the normal MSRP for it, right? 

that's about going rate.  I've not had it but curious to see if 2 more years did anything.  there's little difference between the 18 and 21. 

Yesterday passed on ECBP at 69.95.  Also was at one store that had theirs marked up to $189.95 .... geeze what are they thinking.

Also saw some ETL marked up about $25 over normal so passed on that too.

I keep passing on smooth amber contradiction, I loved everything I've ever tryed from them, has anyone smelled it yet and if so, should I stop staring at it, or shut up and buy it.

Breaking bourbon posted a review on it today. Their impression was it was unique, but not well integrated. The reality of the bottle is the straight MGP bourbon is the same thing in the old scout, and the wheat bourbon is their own distillate that isn't quite ready to be released on its own.

I already decided to try it at a bar, but not pick up a bottle for myself.

I keep passing on Breaker Bourbon. From what I can find on the internet it seems to be a 5 year old bourbon contracted by a "craft distiller" in California. $55 asking price just seems too much to even give it a "go".

On 07/08/2016 at 10:13 PM, Kepler said:

Yesterday passed on ECBP at 69.95.  Also was at one store that had theirs marked up to $189.95 .... geeze what are they thinking.

Also saw some ETL marked up about $25 over normal so passed on that too.

I wish i could pass on that. ;)

I passed on WT101 for around $18.50, then I passed on MM at a low, low, low $19 and change. Finally, I had to put off Bernheim's Wheat at $29. All because I have a 1L bottle of WT Rye 101 sitting  and waiting on the special order shelf down the road at a liquor store in Johnson County. I could easily afford any of the first three but since I'm trying to limit myself to buying only one bottle every two weeks or so, I have to choose the one that I haven't seen or tried before in this situation. The 1L bottle is priced competitively with the KC Rye 750ml that's in my cabinet today so I'm going to have to compare just for fun.

On 8/7/2016 at 9:33 PM, NuttyFinish said:

I keep passing on smooth amber contradiction, I loved everything I've ever tryed from them, has anyone smelled it yet and if so, should I stop staring at it, or shut up and buy it.

Well, it's supposedly 7YO high rye from MGPI (Indiana) like SA uses in its SAOS and 2YO wheated bourbon SA distilled and aged.  It's not bad for what it is at $50 per 750ml.  However, I have one bottle of Contradiction but am now waiting for the promised release of SA's homemade 4YO wheated bourbon due out soon (i.e., the older Yearling which came out as a 375ml a few years ago).

Uh, I think I got all that right, but don't bet on it.

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

However, I have one bottle of Contradiction but am now waiting for the promised release of SA's homemade 4YO wheated bourbon due out soon (i.e., the older Yearling which came out as a 375ml a few years ago).

Uh, I think I got all that right, but don't bet on it.

Supposedly SA still wasn't happy with their own wheated bourbon distillate at 4yo so they have been sitting on it a little longer. May be over 5yo before it is released. Whether it will be age stated like the Yearling (or their various MGP selections for that matter) remains to be seen.

OWA at $39.99.  Couldn't convince myself that its better than the 4 or 5 I already have that were considerably less expensive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.