What Bourbon did you pass up? Summer 2016

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cleaned a storage corner in the basement today and put a few more impulse buys from last week in the bunker.  I just have to stop buying stuff.  I have so many stashed down there even I am embarrassed by how many there are.  EDIT - so, I'm passing them all until I empty a few I already have on hand.  EDIT SOME MORE - so, I'm saying this out loud to embarrass myself enough to stop buying for awhile.  I sure hope this works.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Passed on a Bakers with a 90 as the first batch code number.  Does anybody know about Bakers batch codes.  I am wonder if this means it was distilled in 1990.

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Cleaned a storage corner in the basement today and put a few more impulse buys from last week in the bunker.  I just have to stop buying stuff.  I have so many stashed down there even I am embarrassed by how many there are.  EDIT - so, I'm passing them all until I empty a few I already have on hand.  EDIT SOME MORE - so, I'm saying this out loud to embarrass myself enough to stop buying for awhile.  I sure hope this works.

Harry, you need to buy another car.   ...One with a really BIG trunk!    I'm thinking Chevy Caprice from about 1980, or maybe a Lincoln from any era near that one.

As far as having to empty a bunch... I stand ready to assist any man who is truly in need.    I mean what kinda friend would I be, if I let you suffer through this trauma alone and unaided?   PM me for whatever help I can be.   Heeee-He.

Just so I know, how many does it take before embarrassment sets in.

Who wants to give the over/under until harry's next entry in the what bourbon did you purchase thread?

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I can send my wife over to give you "the look". It's pretty effective.......at least for a while....

3 hours ago, Golzee said:

Passed on a Bakers with a 90 as the first batch code number.  Does anybody know about Bakers batch codes.  I am wonder if this means it was distilled in 1990.

Upon digging around SB pages, it seems that Bakers has a batch code like OGD114 has a lot number and that it doesn't change all that often or if ever.

Edited by Golzee

I've got fiddy on Harry caving before the end of the month...  :lol:

....and I've been pretty good of late.  I'm down to only one or two stores per week and only one or two bottles every two weeks (or so)!

Was on vacation last week in northern Wisconsin.  Stopped at the grocery store in Egg Harbor - yeah, that Egg Harbor, for those of you who don't know it (likely almost everyone), it's as big as it sounds - and of course had to check out their liquor section.  They actually had a very nice bourbon/whiskey section - all the regular bottles one might expect in a decent store, plus a couple Orphan Barrels, Noah's Mill, Blood Oath, etc.  Good prices too - the Eagle Rare was $28.  

Anyway, I see a small sign that says there are some bottles that are not on the shelf and to ask if interested.  Of course, my interest was piqued.  I find a guy and make my inquiry, he looks at the selection and says almost everything is on the shelf (making sure to point out the Blood Oath), but they are supposed to be getting some Blanton's in the next day, and probably "Pappy Van Winkle 12 year".  That gets my attention, and I don't even bother playing the know-it-all and pointing out there is technically no such thing as a Pappy Van Winkle 12 year, and don't press too much on why they'd be getting a Van Winkle in the middle of August.  I'm assuming he's not BSi'ng and they actually have, or will be getting, said bottle.  I ask the question you're now all asking as well - how much?

$700.  I just nodded.  Kind of impressed, quite frankly, that the grocery store in Egg Harbor would have a Lot B.  Not vaguely interested at that price.

Passed on a 1792 full proof at 47.99. Not sure if that's a good price or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed on a 1792 full proof at 47.99. Not sure if that's a good price or not.

MSRP is $45.  So, I would call that price reasonable.

MMCS for 39.99.....may go back with the blessing of my better half. I think that's a good deal.

3 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

MMCS for 39.99.....may go back with the blessing of my better half. I think that's a good deal.

damn and that's for a 750ml?  if so, grab a few!

damn and that's for a 750ml?  if so, grab a few!

It was for a 375ml....

2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

It was for a 375ml....

I think that's a normal price. 

2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

It was for a 375ml....

no deal then... unfortunately.  750ml have been found for $50 around these parts and when the 375ml first went on sale they were $35.  now you can find them for $30.

11 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

no deal then... unfortunately.  750ml have been found for $50 around these parts and when the 375ml first went on sale they were $35.  now you can find them for $30.

I saw a few in my neck of the woods for 28.99.  At that price, I went ahead and picked one up.

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I saw a few in my neck of the woods for 28.99.  At that price, I went ahead and picked one up.

MMCS is always a good pour and if one can ever find it at a good price (whatever the size of bottle), one should always go ahead and pick that up.

I was out and about this past Saturday running some errands. By happenstance, I found myself in the neighborhood of one of my favorite local stores. Well, since I had a little time, I just had to stop in and see if anything new or on allocation, (Weller in my case)  had somehow managed to show up. No Weller. No ETL.  <_< I did however, spot something I'd never seen before. Virginia Black Whiskey. :huh: I decided to check out their website. I'm not quite sure how to explain their website. More flash and gaudiness than information, but I did kinda get an idea of what it was. Then….

I was checking out Gillman's thread about his visit to the Hiram Walker distillery in Ontario. After reading that entry, I decided to check out his blog a little further. Wouldn't you know it. The previous days entry in his blog was about Virginia Black Whiskey. :o  I pretty much got more from Gary's blog than I did their website. Atta Boy Gary! :D 

For anyone that might be interested, here's the link to the story in Gary's blog. http://www.beeretseq.com/virginia-black-in-more-depth/

Cheers! Joe

ETL at 200 buck a bottle in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.  That's a tough sell even to the hippest of hipsters.  And I certainly ain't THAT although my beard (paired with the trendy specs my wife encouraged me to buy) allow me to move comfortably between hipster and Hassid while in the neighborhood.

-Mike

19 minutes ago, scratchline said:

ETL at 200 buck a bottle in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.  That's a tough sell even to the hippest of hipsters.  And I certainly ain't THAT although my beard (paired with the trendy specs my wife encouraged me to buy) allow me to move comfortably between hipster and Hassid while in the neighborhood.

-Mike

ETL at $200 that's about market price in Williamsburg, isn't it?  I once spent $90 on breakfast for 4 without alcohol in a hipster bar/restaurant.

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I was out and about this past Saturday running some errands. By happenstance, I found myself in the neighborhood of one of my favorite local stores. Well, since I had a little time, I just had to stop in and see if anything new or on allocation, (Weller in my case)  had somehow managed to show up. No Weller. No ETL.  <_< I did however, spot something I'd never seen before. Virginia Black Whiskey. :huh: I decided to check out their website. I'm not quite sure how to explain their website. More flash and gaudiness than information, but I did kinda get an idea of what it was. Then….

I was checking out Gillman's thread about his visit to the Hiram Walker distillery in Ontario. After reading that entry, I decided to check out his blog a little further. Wouldn't you know it. The previous days entry in his blog was about Virginia Black Whiskey. :o  I pretty much got more from Gary's blog than I did their website. Atta Boy Gary! :D 

For anyone that might be interested, here's the link to the story in Gary's blog. http://www.beeretseq.com/virginia-black-in-more-depth/

Cheers! Joe

That's the whiskey that I heard hip hop mogul "drake" is behind/endorsed so you know it sucks

3 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

That's the whiskey that I heard hip hop mogul "drake" is behind/endorsed so you know it sucks

You should read Gary's comments about it before judging. He has a respected palate. I'll admit, it's hard to believe this could be any good so damn Gary for making me consider it. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I'm a sucker for those retro bottles so I'd likely buy one anyway just to get the bottle for use as a future decanter.

Just saw several bottles of ETL for $89 at my local store - they were $29 this time last year.  Ridiculous.  Fortunately, I have six bottles in the bunker as I saw this coming a mile away!

Passed on a WTAS at $299...guess it was heavily discounted since it did not have the wood presentation box (sarcasm)

image.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.