What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 minutes ago, joboyd said:

McKenna is an exceptional value, especially under $30.

Thanks. The State (ABC) store has it in select stores for $34.99. I think I'm going to stash a bottle to open in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed a HW MWND .....not sure I'll like it...not enough to fork over about 80. I don't care much for my pikesville, which makes me cautious on this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This is a bit of an apples versus oranges comparison. They taste almost nothing alike, so I wouldn't let your opinion of Pikesville scare you off from MWND. Have you tried HW Rendezvous Rye? If not, maybe think about trying that. The MWND is essentially Rendezvous Rye that has been finished in two kinds of additional barrels (French oak and port I think?). That would allow you to try something similar for a lower price point, around $50. I think MWND is worth $80, especially as a seasonal drink around Christmas. And the regular Rendezvous Rye is solid year round. Again, both have a very different flavor profile compared to Pikesville. 

1 hour ago, joboyd said:

McKenna is an exceptional value, especially under $30.

Yes . . . two local stores have it for $27.99 and $28.99 still.  I have passed, but man . . . it's hard to leave it behind.  I keep telling myself I have a couple of backups and that's enough. 

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

This is a bit of an apples versus oranges comparison. They taste almost nothing alike, so I wouldn't let your opinion of Pikesville scare you off from MWND. Have you tried HW Rendezvous Rye? If not, maybe think about trying that. The MWND is essentially Rendezvous Rye that has been finished in two kinds of additional barrels (French oak and port I think?). That would allow you to try something similar for a lower price point, around $50. I think MWND is worth $80, especially as a seasonal drink around Christmas. And the regular Rendezvous Rye is solid year round. Again, both have a very different flavor profile compared to Pikesville. 

I agree with BIB.  Pikesville is a barely legal rye, whereas Rendezvous Rye/MWND is not.  They will have some flavors in common, but not a ton.  Additionally, the finishing they do on MWND makes it pretty unique.  I think my friend summed it up best when I gave him a blind pour of it a couple years ago: "I don't know what this is, but it's f@$&ing delicious.  Seriously, is this even whiskey?"

All that said, $80+ is a lot of money to spend taking a chance.  

I agree with BIB.  Pikesville is a barely legal rye, whereas Rendezvous Rye/MWND is not.  They will have some flavors in common, but not a ton.  Additionally, the finishing they do on MWND makes it pretty unique.  I think my friend summed it up best when I gave him a blind pour of it a couple years ago: "I don't know what this is, but it's f@$&ing delicious.  Seriously, is this even whiskey?"

All that said, $80+ is a lot of money to spend taking a chance.  

Thank you both for the insight...makes it more intriguing, but still feel like I'll take my $80 and hope to find some Weller 12, or ETL etc that I know I'll enjoy.

I passed on a Stagg Jr.   The reviews I have read seem to be 50/50 on it.  I rarely see this one and I kinda wanted it, but I do have one on the shelf that has not been opened.  :o

Edited by Darwin

4 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed a HW MWND .....not sure I'll like it...not enough to fork over about 80. I don't care much for my pikesville, which makes me cautious on this one.

They are nothing alike. You should take the plunge if you're not on a budget.

5 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on 3 1.75L bottles of EC12 today, and there may have been more. I passed because they had it priced at $63 plus tax, and I already have quite a few bunkered already that I purchased at better prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$27 per 750. That's a darn good price for a now defunct 12 year old age stated whiskey. I'd reconsider if I were you. You might wish you had them 3 years from now.

$27 per 750. That's a darn good price for a now defunct 12 year old age stated whiskey. I'd reconsider if I were you. You might wish you had them 3 years from now.

If I didn't already have one open bottle that is almost full and four 1.75L bottles in storage, it would be a no brainer. However, I may still reconsider and go back and pick up at least one and maybe two of them. [emoji848][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

If I didn't already have one open bottle that is almost full and four 1.75L bottles in storage, it would be a no brainer. However, I may still reconsider and go back and pick up at least one and maybe two of them. emoji848.pngemoji3.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd pick them all up if I had the chance. Seriously. I love the 12 year age stated and am meh on the NAS so it's a no brainer for me. A few years down the road we all will be kicking ourselves for not buying more when we had the chance.

51 minutes ago, flahute said:

I'd pick them all up if I had the chance. Seriously. I love the 12 year age stated and am meh on the NAS so it's a no brainer for me. A few years down the road we all will be kicking ourselves for not buying more when we had the chance.

I wouldn't worry about a few years down the road, there is a lot of bourbon being made as we speak, with a lot more plans in the works.  The best is yet to come...

3 hours ago, Golzee said:

I wouldn't worry about a few years down the road, there is a lot of bourbon being made as we speak, with a lot more plans in the works.  The best is yet to come...

True, although I don't think we'll find 12 yr bourbon for the current EC price in a few years.  There will always be more/new bourbons, but it will likely only be more expensive than it is today.  

Then again, by that logic, I'd go broke and not have walking space in my house - so maybe not an advisable strategy :)

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

True, although I don't think we'll find 12 yr bourbon for the current EC price in a few years.  There will always be more/new bourbons, but it will likely only be more expensive than it is today.  

Then again, by that logic, I'd go broke and not have walking space in my house - so maybe not an advisable strategy :)

Yeah... thanks to you guys and my cousin in Lexington I'm currently building large pieces of furniture to house unopened bottles of Whisky... :) Along with Whiskyrexia Nervosa, I may have a slight case of bunker envy...

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Crap. Now I feel like I may have to go back today for some I recently passed on. There are some 1.75s on the shelf near me for $54+tax that I had been resisting. Might as well spend the dough on these and more OWA as I'm not likely to see many of the fall LEs this year to splurge on.

Passed on a 'new' offering, just into my favorite retailer: some iteration of Jack Daniels at 100-proof.    Anybody know what this about?

18 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Passed on a 'new' offering, just into my favorite retailer: some iteration of Jack Daniels at 100-proof.    Anybody know what this about?

I believe this is the 150th Anniversary bottling they just released. I saw it briefly around here for $110.

The single barrel version has been around for some time under the Travel Retail label Silver Select. But that is well under $100. I believe your baby boy even reviewed that on some damn fools website. Now what was that called.....

A friend called and let me know that he picked up a bottle of Four Roses Elliott's Select for his boss, who just got fired, but that the bottle was mine if I wanted it. I've pointed him towards a few rare bottles in the last couple years and he said I deserve first dibs. Of course I said 'no', but it was a nice gesture. 

I passed on several bottles of interest, most notably some KCSB for $39.99.  However, it is worth noting that I ran across both ER and BT, the latter at a CVS pharmacy.  I haven't seen either for a while.  

In Maryland and passed on a Bookers batch distilled in '01, it was interesting to see it on the shelf, at around $52. Also passed a HWMWND at $70. I'm not too familiar with either and it's a flight away from home, so I didn't have much interest in purchasing them.

22 hours ago, Golzee said:

The best is yet to come??  You mean more No Age Stated whiskey at higher prices?  Look at all the great affordable aged bourbons we have lost over the past several years.  The only way that comes back would be after a big bust and the subsequent glut of barrels aging in rickhouses containing whiskey that folks aren't buying.  We may be a long way from that happening.

I agree with Flahute on this.

17 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The best is yet to come??  You mean more No Age Stated whiskey at higher prices?  Look at all the great affordable aged bourbons we have lost over the past several years.  The only way that comes back would be after a big bust and the subsequent glut of barrels aging in rickhouses containing whiskey that folks aren't buying.  We may be a long way from that happening.

I agree with Flahute on this.

I guess my glass is half full.  All major distilleries are ramping up production, with new distilleries producing and older ones starting again.  It may take a few years, but, there will be a surplus of bourbon aging at some point in the not too distant future.  I have read on this site of a bourbon glut after the 70s (most of the dusty bourbon that people covet), why won't it happen again?

10 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

The single barrel version has been around for some time under the Travel Retail label Silver Select. But that is well under $100. I believe your baby boy even reviewed that on some damn fools website. Now what was that called.....

Yeah - if it is the "Single Barrel 100 Proof", and tastes anything like the sample of Silver Select that some damn fool gave me - I'd pick it up.  My notes on that one below

http://whiskeyapostle.com/2016/10/jack-daniels-silver-select/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.