What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, mike9903 said:

$80 for sourced whiskey finished in port barrels seems a bit ridiculous to me, would rather save my money for something else is all. 

And the good news is...  there's plenty else out there! 

While I've never purchased a HW product myself, many here show great love for at least some of them.  Given that I seem to have plenty of local made whiskey to drink, I don't really feel that I'm missing out on too much. 

While I reserve the right to change my mind sometime in the future, I respect your current position...

... as I hope, anyone would mine! 

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

And the good news is...  there's plenty else out there! 

While I've never purchased a HW product myself, many here show great love for at least some of them.  Given that I seem to have plenty of local made whiskey to drink, I don't really feel that I'm missing out on too much. 

While I reserve the right to change my mind sometime in the future, I respect your current position...

... as I hope, anyone would mine! 

I am trying to stay away from, "Oh this is hard to find I MUST buy this" trend that I have fallen into. If I try it and really like it and I will put it on my list to find at some point, but until then I can live with passing on it. 

1 hour ago, mike9903 said:

I am trying to stay away from, "Oh this is hard to find I MUST buy this" trend that I have fallen into. If I try it and really like it and I will put it on my list to find at some point, but until then I can live with passing on it. 

I totally respect that position. The fear of missing out leads to a lot of blind purchases of expensive whiskey that may not be worth it. I've certainly been there. The discipline to abstain from that practice is hard to stick by in the current market.

The only thing I would say about your original position is to judge each sourced whiskey on it's own merits alongside the knowledge of it's source (or likely source) in order to also judge the merit of the price being charged. 

Some are not worth the price when you realize the source distillery makes a near identical brand for much less. Some are closer in price and are OK values.

Midwinter's Night Dram, while sourced, has a really old rye whiskey component in the mix (a since discontinued 16 year old rye from Barton). The finishing in port and French oak barrels is not emulated by anyone else (for a mix like this). High West is forthcoming with their sources. All of these factors are why many members here love this whiskey. I am one of them and I'm generally deeply skeptical of sourced whiskey.

If you can, try this in a bar. You may decide to buy that bottle next time. 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

If you can, try this in a bar. You may decide to buy that bottle next time. 

That is the plan! 

Spending $300 on Parker's Heritage 10 has really reigned me in and caused me to be a little more choosey on what I buy now...

Passed on Old Forester Birthday @ $300. Also passed on Buffalo Trace @ $34.99. Wasn't that $25 a bottle last time I looked? Eagle Rare has been creeping up of late as well. now north of $35, I guess the age statement comes into play. 

Passed on a shelf full of BT since I already have 4 in the bunker.   I also left 5 OWAs on the shelf for others and bought 3.  

Passed on a 1.75 L of KCSmB on clearance at $50....have quite a few in the bunker already...but at that price second guessing my decision today. ????

Yikes.  Buffalo Trace at $35 is horrible.  We get it for $20, I need to stock up...

I still find BT everywhere in the low to mid $20 range and ER is still around $30 or a bit above. I'm also starting to see large stocks of Blanton's in stores at less than $60, so I don't think there is any need to stock up on those brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still find BT everywhere in the low to mid $20 range and ER is still around $30 or a bit above. I'm also starting to see large stocks of Blanton's in stores at less than $60, so I don't think there is any need to stock up on those brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed on the blantons.....seen more of it around the last month or so. Told my local LS yesterday it looked like they hit the blantons lottery......now I need them to hit the BTAC lottery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Passed on Yellow Stone LE @ $109... Just didn't know enough about it... Plus I was picking up a Thomas H. Handy Rye and a W12... 

On 10/27/2016 at 9:25 AM, Redslayer said:

Passed on a 1.75 L of KCSmB on clearance at $50....have quite a few in the bunker already...but at that price second guessing my decision today. ????

Good move. Last winter I bought two handles of KC at the Phoenix Costco for $35 each. $50 might be a "clearance" price some places. Then again, I am often guilty of passing up a good price that is not a great price.

Stopped in a small town ABC (NC state controlled) yesterday and was really surprised by their selection, didn't buy anything as I was well stocked on what they had but a good selection is a good selection.  They even had their own bottling of Jefferson's which surprised me.  Rutherfordton NC for those of you interested

On 10/23/2016 at 6:16 PM, mike9903 said:

$80 for sourced whiskey finished in port barrels seems a bit ridiculous to me, would rather save my money for something else is all. 

Would you jump for HWMWND @ $65.99 OTD?  Act 4, Scene 3 is flying off the shelves for winter enjoyment right now!   YMMV.   :lol:

Would you jump for HWMWND @ $65.99 OTD?  Act 4, Scene 3 is flying off the shelves for winter enjoyment right now!   YMMV.   [emoji38]

Absolutely, I would go as high $80 if I could just find one in my area.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Absolutely, I would go as high $80 if I could just find one in my area.

Same here. I haven't seen a single one.

On 10/28/2016 at 0:43 PM, Flyfish said:

Good move. Last winter I bought two handles of KC at the Phoenix Costco for $35 each. $50 might be a "clearance" price some places. Then again, I am often guilty of passing up a good price that is not a great price.

Dang, that is a great price...if you do the math, about $15 for a 750ml...quite the deal...even at $50 it's less than $22 per 750.  

Passed on Michter's 10 year, 2 bottles of of ECPB 136 #12, and the same two bottles of 1792 Port Finish that have been there for about 2 months

Passed on Michter's 10 year, 2 bottles of of ECPB 136 #12, and the same two bottles of 1792 Port Finish that have been there for about 2 months

You're passing on some bottles a lot of us would love a shot at, hope you are passing because they have them priced them too high.

I passed on Michter's 10 at a surprising number of stores within the last few days. Has anyone heard if they have increased their volume recently? Saw it at some places I would never have expected.

20 hours ago, Thig said:

You're passing on some bottles a lot of us would love a shot at, hope you are passing because they have them priced them too high.

No, just don't need.  If anyone is in the Henderson, KY/Evansville, IN area  I will tell you where they are located.

34 minutes ago, rcs86 said:

No, just don't need.  If anyone is in the Henderson, KY/Evansville, IN area  I will tell you where they are located.

It's good to resist those hoarding impulses and leave some things on the shelves for others. More of us should remember to do that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.