What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On November 6, 2016 at 6:56 AM, Charlutz said:

Passed on FRLESmB2014 at $250. I love the 2015 and was looking for 2016 and would have possibly considered talking to the owner about it for 2016, but I'm relying on the not so great reviews of 2014 at that price. If it was at retail price I'm buying any FRLE I come across. If marked up 150%, I'm less willing to take a chance. 

I have to say that there is no way I would pay MSRP for the 2014 small batch again, let alone any markup level. I really did not like that edition at all. And I wouldn't pay $250 for the 2015 or 2016 vintages either

On 11/6/2016 at 8:03 AM, Hop said:

Passed on OWA, EHTSmB, and ETL at a lottery yesterday - could have had chances at them but since I've already got all on a shelf I let others who might not have their chances

Even though I have most of these somewhat easier to find allocated bottles myself, I still go to the lotteries,

and if I win a bottle, I make sure it goes to someone who will drink it.  Even just one bottle saved from a flipper is well worth my time.

I love how as soon as the few bottles of rare stuff (winkle, btac, weller 12, 4R limiteds)  disappears @ the lottery, half the crowd (flippers) immediately leaves.

Then the 15-20 or so true customers are left and usually get some pretty decent allocated bottles with ease.

On 11/5/2016 at 4:52 PM, BigRich said:

You nailed it on the single barrel difference. One of the things I love most about whiskey is the barrel to barrel nuance. You can get great ones but also a stinker every now and again. Those who know me know my love and devotion to Rutledge era Four Roses. For quite sometime if you said it could be bad I would've called you a damn liar. However when the GBS picked a couple a few years back one of the selection barrels was just bad. As much as the whiskey was bad I think I found myself learning or at least reinforcing the true breadth of the single barrel nuance. Kinda cool. At least to me.

Totally agree on the 4R.  I also subscribe to the "Rutledge can do no wrong" way of thinking.  But alas, there was that one bottle I didn't much care for.

As much as I love 4R, I've noticed that my palette often changes how the flavors display themselves.  The "F" yeast bottles seem to be the worst for me.  Some days I can't get enough and other days I want no part of it.

On another note, I'm one bottle of OBSQ away from my dream of trying all 10 side by side by side... :)

Passed on Blantons @. $74.99  in a SC store while traveling today.     Would have picked up a couple for the bunker if it had been in the low low $50s.  

On 11/7/2016 at 8:50 PM, BottledInBond said:

I have to say that there is no way I would pay MSRP for the 2014 small batch again, let alone any markup level. I really did not like that edition at all. And I wouldn't pay $250 for the 2015 or 2016 vintages either

Huh, my 2016 FRLESmB cost me $94.99 OTD - guess I'd rather be lucky than good???   ;) 

Passed on a 1.75 OWA @ $52 since I have 3 750's bunkered and I see OWA pretty regularly. Grabbed a OGD 114 instead...

Passed on Michter's 10 today. I know they are hard to find, but just couldn't justify the $119 price tag in my head. Oh well, I'm sure I will find something else to spend the money on.

Also passed on Michter's 10 year for $120.00  Also passed on ETL at a good price because I already have plenty.  Maybe that was dumb and I should have taken advantage of the chance to stock up. Oh well. 

Passed on Stagg Jr. 132.5 for $52. Fair price, but it's prevalent on the shelves now and I want to try or get some intel on batches 5-7 before I buy. I think it's a great sign that Buffalo Trace fixed the flavor and is now putting a lot of it on the shelves. So many of their other labels are scarce that it's good to have a nice premium whiskey from them readily available.

1 minute ago, Charlutz said:

Passed on Stagg Jr. 132.5 for $52. Fair price, but it's prevalent on the shelves now and I want to try or get some intel on batches 5-7 before I buy. I think it's a great sign that Buffalo Trace fixed the flavor and is now putting a lot of it on the shelves. So many of their other labels are scarce that it's good to have a nice premium whiskey from them readily available.

The 132.5 (batch 6) is fantastic. It definitely needs time to open up but after a few weeks it hit its prime. I like it with a splash of water. I know batch 7 hit the shelves in PA so may grab one to place on deck.

7 minutes ago, Tanger11 said:

The 132.5 (batch 6) is fantastic. It definitely needs time to open up but after a few weeks it hit its prime. I like it with a splash of water. I know batch 7 hit the shelves in PA so may grab one to place on deck.

Thanks. That is good to know. I know a couple of stores that have it and can grab a bottle.

I am not seeing it less than 59.99 in Middle Georgia.

1 hour ago, Thig said:

I am not seeing it less than 59.99 in Middle Georgia.

I believe it's $53 at Bootlegger's on Moody Rd in Warner Robins.

I was excited to see Four Roses Elliott's Select on the shelf until I saw that it was $250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Also passed on ETL at a good price because I already have plenty.  Maybe that was dumb and I should have taken advantage of the chance to stock up. Oh well. 

I came to my senses and realized the error of my ways.  I went back to the store and corrected my previous lapse in judgement.  

A local store had their comedy show of BTAC and Van Winkle bottlings again this year with 5-20x inflated prices.  

Also finally found an OF1920 for $59.99, but decided to hold off.

20 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

A local store had their comedy show of BTAC and Van Winkle bottlings again this year with 5-20x inflated prices.  

Also finally found an OF1920 for $59.99, but decided to hold off.

I bet I know where you went.

2 hours ago, ccleve23 said:

Ironically there's still plenty of the other stuff we were PMing about the other day.

16 hours ago, ccleve23 said:

As do I... :) That stuff will sit there for a few months. Maybe 6 or 8. Someone will buy it and they'll continue to mark it up. I don't like the extreme mark up on the LE's or even some of the lesser high profile bottles, but I go there regularly (as I'm guessing you guys do) because there's a lot of stuff at decent prices and the always available 10% coupon makes it a value. The counter people are always real nice. 

Edited by Charlutz

7 hours ago, Charlutz said:

As do I... :) That stuff will sit there for a few months. Maybe 6 or 8. Someone will buy it and they'll continue to mark it up. I don't like the extreme mark up on the LE's or even some of the lesser high profile bottles, but I go there regularly (as I'm guessing you guys do) because there's a lot of stuff at decent prices and the always available 10% coupon makes it a value. The counter people are always real nice. 

Her scotch prices on certain bottlings are amazing, and sometimes she trots out releases that haven't seen the light of day for 10+ years and sells them for pretty reasonable prices.

If you check in regularly, she sometimes drops the BTAC bottles down to only somewhat outrageous prices.  She built up a stock of GTS a couple years back so she dropped prices down to $200, for instance.  Not a price I'd pay, but some people would differ.  I think those days are probably at an end, though.  Yesterday she had THH out for $500.

For the umpteentth time I was able to resist the temptation ( as well as a sales pitch) to buy Griffins Claw.    I'd still give the brand's packaging some sort of award for "presentation over quality", though.

Passed on everything.  A new grocery store just opened South of Greenwood.  Their liquor area is huge.  There seemed to be some interesting stuff (items not usually at the other grocery stores).  I'll definitely go back when I'm by myself.  I had the little man with me, so I just took a quick look.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.