What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Passed on KC 2001 @ $149

Me too, even tho' it was a Batch #3 @ $125.  And I also passed on a HWMWND Act 4, Scene 2 @ $84.99.  Gotta' save up for that 2015 Saz18 (heh, heh) - got to try a 2007 Saz18 last night and woof!   That S-W juice is some tasty dram, eh?   :lol:

On 10/12/2016 at 1:53 AM, Golzee said:

I wouldn't worry about a few years down the road, there is a lot of bourbon being made as we speak, with a lot more plans in the works.  The best is yet to come...

"A few years" goes by pretty quickly in the bourbon world and often not for the better, so I've learned not to take much for granted.  Just a few years ago, the shelves in liquor stores in NY and NJ had ample supplies of ETL, OWA, EC12, Vintage 17, 10 year old EWSB, W12 amongst others, now virtually unattainable, NAS, or gone.  I rest easier knowing that I am bunkered up for the near future,  or apocalypse depending on how one views my bunker.

I passed on OB Whoop & Holler @ $189.99.  I own and enjoy several other OB releases but this one is too much.  I mean I winced when I paid $130 for Lost Prophet (twice).

Jason

Passed on one of the newer "Orphan Barrels", the Whoop & Holler. This is the 28yo Dickel whiskey which may or may not be bourbon depending on your particular point of view. For me it is, presuming it spent all that time in new oak (or at least started in new oak in which case I guess it legally should indicate it was finished in something else if that is the case). It does say "American Whiskey" on the label and not Tennessee whiskey and of course it is Diageo (and it's an "orphan") so who really knows?

I know some reviews say it isn't overly oaked but I just didn't want to spend the money on another potential beaver pelt...

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

I rest easier knowing that I am bunkered up for the near future,  or apocalypse depending on how one views my bunker.

...Or... How one views the upcoming November election.  

I use that last term in the very broadest possible way, since this won't be one that a great many of us will want to remember as an opportunity to elect anybody we actually wanted to see in the White House.

Note: Sorry for the thread drift... all the way into PR&C, maybe.

FWIW, the JD website today has pictures of a JDSB 100 proof with a white label and a 150th Anniversary with a painted label @ 100 proof.  However, if you are buying, look closely - while picking up some VOB BIB today, I saw a "150th Anniversary" JD with a black label @ 86 proof on the counter.

IN SUM, the majors are making so many shiny object products nowadays that I'm starting to pass on them ALL and sticking to the basics.  Well, at least until I taste them.  Then, I, too, get drawn to shiny objects.

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Passed on one of the newer "Orphan Barrels", the Whoop & Holler. This is the 28yo Dickel whiskey which may or may not be bourbon depending on your particular point of view.

Good information tan. G Dickel is my favorite TN whiskey. I overpaid for some of the 17yr but the 28yr comes at an even steeper price. At $200 all in I'd have to pass also.

While in search of a Rebel Yell 10 YO, I noticed a RRSB Rye for $69.99 before tax.  I had been wanting another one but not at this price.  I'm glad I've got six old version WT Rye 101 in the bunker.  

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, Golzee said:

I guess my glass is half full.  All major distilleries are ramping up production, with new distilleries producing and older ones starting again.  It may take a few years, but, there will be a surplus of bourbon aging at some point in the not too distant future.  I have read on this site of a bourbon glut after the 70s (most of the dusty bourbon that people covet), why won't it happen again?

I mean, you're right and I totally agree that another bust will inevitably come. But when? In the meantime I have no qualms about stocking up on the top value SKU's out there. And I'm not talking about the flood of $50 NAS "hype" bourbons that are popping up seemingly on a weekly basis.

Many things but specifically the new Jeffersons very old bourbon finished in Rum Casks. At $75 that wasn't going to happen. Just not that curious.

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

Many things but specifically the new Jeffersons very old bourbon finished in Rum Casks. At $75 that wasn't going to happen. Just not that curious.

I got the email from Sherlocks on that, and scanning down I thought "Hm . . . kinda intereating . . . " and then I got to the punchline:

Only $74.99

My definition of "only" and theirs apparently widely tremendously - making it an easy pass for me as well.

Passed by a Balcones bourbon for $90.  Also glad I grabbed the Stagg Jr the other day for $60 because I saw it for $70 today.

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

Passed by a Balcones bourbon for $90.  Also glad I grabbed the Stagg Jr the other day for $60 because I saw it for $70 today.

Have you tried any iteration of balcones? I'm tempted to try it out but not at $90. Wish I could find it at a bar somewhere first.

10 minutes ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Have you tried any iteration of balcones? I'm tempted to try it out but not at $90. Wish I could find it at a bar somewhere first.

Yea, I don't care for any balcones product except the straight bourbon actually. All I get from their non-bourbon whiskeys is corn, corn, and more corn. The bourbon has an intense smokiness to it that I like on a cold day (but not as smoky as the brimstone or whatever their campfire concoction is that is too overwhelming for me). It's not an every day pour tho, and wouldn't be even at a lower price point.

After reading through the past weeks submissions on this thread I'll offer this opinion...

If you like EC12 and you see bottles on the shelf at a fair price buy 'em. This is literally an all time classic bourbon that I don't believe we'll see again, and if we do it won't be at the reasonable price it can still be found at now. How many of us would gladly welcome the opportunity to go back in time and pick up a case of the old paper labeled Weller bourbons or Old Forester BiB or any other dozen or more favorite offerings that have gone away or evolved into something less satisfying for more money? The time to buy is when you see it. I've bunkered a couple dozen bottles at $25 a pop and am confident I'll have no regrets.

Back on topic... I passed on Stagg Jr yesterday for $52 choosing to go with OWA for half that amount instead.

Passed it all up, can't buy alcohol in Dublin GA on Sunday. Even in a restaurant. Talk about backwards people.

Passed on ECBP for $70 at several stores today. I've bought several cheaper at other stores recently, so I wasn't willing to pay up to get these today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passed on some EC12, some of which I will probably go back for. Also saw some EWSB 2004 but again it was overpriced for my taste at $32+ tax. 

Passed on some EC12, some of which I will probably go back for. Also saw some EWSB 2004 but again it was overpriced for my taste at $32+ tax. 

I'd go back and get both of the EC12 styles you mentioned in the other thread. Those are really good prices. I'd also be a buyer of the EWSB 2004 vintage too, just because I don't have any and the price is within the high end of the price range around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stopped into a local store hoping to find this year's HWMWND, the new Rebel Yell SB, and W12 (along with the 2016 release of Founder's Backwoods Bastard).  Struck out on all counts.  There was a mixed case that came in though that had 3 bottles of Baby Saz and 3 bottles of Stagg Jr.  I have enough in the bunker of each, so I passed.  Several store employees seemed really excited to get those six bottles from BT, which is just a sign of the times I guess.

Jason

On 10/11/2016 at 7:35 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed a HW MWND .....not sure I'll like it...not enough to fork over about 80. I don't care much for my pikesville, which makes me cautious on this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I was put off last season by the price (80-90) but tried some from ACT III at a bar while on vacation and enjoyed it a lot, to the point that I decided to look for an Act IV when they came out. I got one for close to 90 this season which seems to be in the historic range at least as compared to last year. Try a bar pour first as they should be available for awhile now unless that too has become some sort of collectors fetish bourbon.  I put a request

for a bottle in several weeks back and the store is not putting what they got out on the shelf.

1 hour ago, jp_stargazer said:

I stopped into a local store hoping to find this year's HWMWND, the new Rebel Yell SB, and W12 (along with the 2016 release of Founder's Backwoods Bastard).  Struck out on all counts.  There was a mixed case that came in though that had 3 bottles of Baby Saz and 3 bottles of Stagg Jr.  I have enough in the bunker of each, so I passed.  Several store employees seemed really excited to get those six bottles from BT, which is just a sign of the times I guess.

Jason

the few Binny's stores I've been to have had RY10SB in stock, might be able to get the one closest to you to order it for you if they don't have it in stock.

While searching for Weller and RY10(and not finding any), passed on more EC12 (age on back) for $38 and Blanton's for $52.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.