Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I use google to search for Bourbon reviews and if there is one here or over at BE it shows up on google.

I use google to search for Bourbon reviews and if there is one here or over at BE it shows up on google.

The Bastille was terrible. I've posted the specifics elsewhere, but I'm really finding search to be ...(mmm, let's see if your diplomacy comment was warranted) uh, unfruitful. Yeah that's the ticket.

I don't remember what I didn't like, as I try to only store positive things in my brain these days. Without opening all of my 90+ posts individually, I can't direct you to the post. If you have a search tip to pass on to me, it would be MUCHLY appreciated, and I'll return the kindness by finding the post.

Ever since the software change I too have had little success with the advanced search function that used to work like a charm. I often resort to a google search also or gone tediously through prior posts. Just last night I spent too much time looking for an older Jack Daniels post, by another member, but never found the one I distinctly remember.

This is good advice. I like using Google to directly search the forum too. For example Googling "SFS Bastille site:straightbourbon.com/forums" returns one result: the Bourbon in the Movies thread. Your latest posts in this thread will take a little while to get indexed but they will show up there too.

Except, I'll presume, the few topics that can only be viewed by members...you know just in case you want to catch up with the latest rants in PR &C :rolleyes: :grin:.

I've started a thread in the Software Issues subforum to address what now appears to be a functionality issue with the search feature. I'm apparently not the only one having trouble.

What's your take on the French whisky?

With Jim's google idea, I found my previous post on the Bastille:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?5696-Bourbon-in-the-Movies&p=317784&highlight=bastille#post317784

where I said:

"It is most assuredly not bourbon. It's finished in limousin oak casks, and I found it exceeding foul. It's too perfumey, too wine-like, too oaky (but not in the way good bourbon is, more like the way Australian chardonnays were in the mid- to late 80s when all you could taste was young oak). I took it back and got something else."

Stagg Jr....Baby Stagg...... As mentioned by a couple of other members here a while back, take a bottle of GTS, use the dilution calendar to cut it to 100-101 proof, and there you go. Same mash bill as the old ER 101. Maybe there's yet some hope for a quasi Weller Centennial return? :bigeyes:

FWIW, I diluted enough GTS to make a full 750 of Baby Stagg/Stagg Jr last fall. I brought it to the KBF for the gazebo table. Most folks said they liked it. For those of you that attended the gazebo that week, remember Joe's Mystery Whiskey? :grin: Cheers!

FWIW, I diluted enough GTS to make a full 750 of Baby Stagg/Stagg Jr last fall. I brought it to the KBF for the gazebo table. Most folks said they liked it. For those of you that attended the gazebo that week, remember Joe's Mystery Whiskey? :grin: Cheers!

Copying this over from a cooking forum I hang out at. Sounds good to me.

Randy

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12355001000176

Is there a general timeframe between COLA approval/posting and launch? I have to imagine they wouldn't apply too early or too late in order to make sure they had ducks in a row.

Is there a general timeframe between COLA approval/posting and launch? I have to imagine they wouldn't apply too early or too late in order to make sure they had ducks in a row.

COLA approval doesn't even mean it will get launched at all.

Right, but historically, if it does launch, what's the average timeframe? Seems like it was 2-3 months for CEHT barrel proof.

For me, the only question is money. Surely this Junior variation will be more readily available than and correspondingly not quite as good as the original. That's reasonable. But if the price is, say, $50+, I am going to feel ripped off and will be unable to get myself to think about ever buying a bottle.

I wouldn't want the be the marketing staff member that blew that move. Spending the time to design the logos, apply, and then fall through.

Back in the 50's they used to trademark any comic book name that sounded cool (read "tales from the sea") just to protect it. Now I guess as soon as the decision team sees a solid possibility of a brand, they go ahead and nail it down with the government. Nobody wants to have buReaucrazy slowing them down.

For me, the only question is money. Surely this Junior variation will be more readily available than and correspondingly not quite as good as the original. That's reasonable. But if the price is, say, $50+, I am going to feel ripped off and will be unable to get myself to think about ever buying a bottle.

From my anonymous and reliable source...you're going to feel ripped off, plus your surely, should be a doubtful...on it being readily available. And it's going to launch.

Stagg Jr....Baby Stagg...... As mentioned by a couple of other members here a while back, take a bottle of GTS, use the dilution calendar to cut it to 100-101 proof, and there you go. Same mash bill as the old ER 101. Maybe there's yet some hope for a quasi Weller Centennial return? :bigeyes:

I do remember that!! My dad and I both really liked it. Wish I had some of the older ER 101 to do a side by side at some point . . .

From my anonymous and reliable source...you're going to feel ripped off, plus your surely, should be a doubtful...on it being readily available. And it's going to launch.

That sucks . . . sounds like they're going with $50+ in order to push the entire BTAC (or at least GTS) higher. It never sits on the shelf, and I'll bet if the MRC went from $69.95 to $79.95 (meaning actual retail closer to $85), sales wouldn't drop off. If it goes for say $55 or $60, while GTS stays at $70 - $75, I'll be passing until I try it a couple times.

So a big doubtful on it being readly available and it will be north of 50 bones? Are they going to try and squeeze this into the BTAC lineup? Maybe most here wouldn't buy it, but lord knows it would sell. At any rate, I don't see them charging less for this than they do most of the CEHT stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.