Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fairly sure it is a placeholder; every label approval I've seen for a barrel proofer has something filled in for the proof. Being younger is what makes it "Jr." but being barrel proof is what makes it Stagg.
Or Col EH Taylor.

Isn't it all pretty incestuous anyway? There are two rye mashbills but the same one is used for most of the recent CEHT bourbons, Stagg, ER and pretty much everything that isn't the Age International mashbill as described in the Whiskey Tree, right? The use of the Stagg name is presumably just to capitalize on the BTAC mania. And a way to justify adding a few extra bucks to the price tag!

#1, higher corn BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Col. E.H. Taylor, Geo. T. Stagg

#2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Elmer T. Lee*, Hancock*, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms*, Virginia Gentleman/Bowman Bourbons?

Mostly just a question of age, warehouse location, and the barrel proof they are bottled at, give or take.

And the occasional tornado...

If you are correct that they will use this to increase the price, that would necessarily mean that the BTAC prices would go up. The CEHT Barrell Proof already costs about what Stagg does . . . hence the jokes about 1/2 aged Stagg for the same price. They wouldn't (or couldn't) sell Stagg Jr. for more than Stagg.

as a general rule, i do like unfiltered barrel proof offerings. Overall the EH Taylor line has been mishandeled by BT, IMHO

If you are correct that they will use this to increase the price, that would necessarily mean that the BTAC prices would go up. The CEHT Barrell Proof already costs about what Stagg does . . . hence the jokes about 1/2 aged Stagg for the same price. They wouldn't (or couldn't) sell Stagg Jr. for more than Stagg.

"Nearly a decade" doesn't really inspire confidence, does it? :rolleyes:

Pricing will be key for me. I can get KCSB for just over $30 and at 120 proof and also "nearly a decade" I find it to be a great buy.

I'm hoping for a price at the $50 range or below as well. This kind of strikes me as a Buffalo Trace version of Booker's, which is priced in that range.

I'm looking forward to this, especially if it's UCF, around 10yo, varying CS proofs and approx. $50 price point and a flavor bomb like senior generally is.

Around $50 sounds pretty good to me. Anyone thinking it's going to creep up above that, however?

I would love to see the S-Jr. at a $50 price point,but I see this probably priced in between Blanton's/RHF and the CEHT line myself.I hope the pricing is lower and I am wrong,I was surprised with the CEHT SmB pricing so only time will tell I guess.

on a semi related note, do you think that BT learns any particular lessons from the recent taylor releases in regards to the market and or marketing for such products? i see a good amount of CEHT single barrel around, but the low proof and high price point, north of $50 but usually more like $65, seems to keep most people at bay. The barrel proof and tornado stuff though is a bit harder to find. Maybe because not that much was produced and/or maybe because the demand for such products is there at $65 a pop, i dont know. While we would all love to see stagg jr south of $50, does the fact (my observation/hypothesis for arguments sake) that CEHT barrel proof selling decently at $65 mean that stagg jr will probably be around that amount too?

I won't be surprised to see it the same price as the AC. Hell, wouldn't be that surprised to see it as part of the BTAC. I know the back label doesnt match up with the rest, but is there any indication that this is a separate release?

I believe MSRP on GTS is $69.95. It retails for $72.95 here in NC. If Stagg Jr. is intended to be a readily available product I would suspect it would retail in the $45 to $55 range. That seems to be the price range from other competitive brands in the category... i.e. Booker's, WTKS, RR SBSmB, JD SB, FR1B, WR DO, Bulliet 10, etc... It's certainly a hole in the BT line-up. I doubt they're driving much revenue thru the RHF brand.

I believe MSRP on GTS is $69.95. It retails for $72.95 here in NC. If Stagg Jr. is intended to be a readily available product I would suspect it would retail in the $45 to $55 range. That seems to be the price range from other competitive brands in the category... i.e. Booker's, WTKS, RR SBSmB, JD SB, FR1B, WR DO, Bulliet 10, etc... It's certainly a hole in the BT line-up. I doubt they're driving much revenue thru the RHF brand.

there are continuing rumors (which when I asked, BT would neither confirm or deny) that RHF is being discontinued.

there are continuing rumors (which when I asked, BT would neither confirm or deny) that RHF is being discontinued.

I know this sentiment likely puts me in the minority, based on what I've read here, but this is no loss in my book. On a salesperson's recommendation, I bought RHF on the same day as Hancock President's Reserve. I ended up taking both of them back.

The good news is that thanks to this site, and the whisky tree, I know I can likely pass on the other offerings from this mashbill. I did have my first pour of Blanton's the other night in a restaurant, and it was drinkable, but I wouldn't buy it. BT's other mashbill, now that's another story, and since I've never tasted the Stagg, a junior version (especially if readily available and reasonably priced) would interest me greatly.

I know this sentiment likely puts me in the minority, based on what I've read here, but this is no loss in my book. On a salesperson's recommendation, I bought RHF on the same day as Hancock President's Reserve. I ended up taking both of them back.

The good news is that thanks to this site, and the whisky tree, I know I can likely pass on the other offerings from this mashbill. I did have my first pour of Blanton's the other night in a restaurant, and it was drinkable, but I wouldn't buy it. BT's other mashbill, now that's another story, and since I've never tasted the Stagg, a junior version (especially if readily available and reasonably priced) would interest me greatly.

By and large I agree, but I have had some retailer bottlings of RHF that were stellar, and it is 100 proof, so it has that going for it.

The one I never understood was Hancock Reserve. What's the point of that one? AA is the bottom shelfer, AAA a little higher, ETL is the cheapest single barrel and 90 proof, RHF is SB & 100 proof, Blanton's is SB from a special warehouse, Hancock is SB and what exactly?

Re the taking both of them back, did you mean the store refunded your money after you opened them?

GaRY

Man, I wish I had your diplomacy, sounds like you've established some good relationships.

What's your take on the French whisky?

The Bastille was terrible. I've posted the specifics elsewhere, but I'm really finding search to be ...(mmm, let's see if your diplomacy comment was warranted) uh, unfruitful. Yeah that's the ticket.

I don't remember what I didn't like, as I try to only store positive things in my brain these days. Without opening all of my 90+ posts individually, I can't direct you to the post. If you have a search tip to pass on to me, it would be MUCHLY appreciated, and I'll return the kindness by finding the post.

Man, I wish I had your diplomacy, sounds like you've established some good relationships.

What's your take on the French whisky?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.