What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

AHHHH tragedy!!!!!!! I just knocked over my glass and spilled 2oz of freshly poured OWA on the ground!!  :'(

That is an absolute tragedy.

Tonight I drink stiff hot toddys made with Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond.

I'm convinced that Woodford cannot put out a LE that is ever worth buying.

Finished a pour of the new brandy finished, pleasant, tastes like sweeter Woodford, but pretty astringent. Not worth seeking out.

Thankfully, it was a freebie pour.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local store takes some of their BTAC and Pappy allocation and does a tasting night.

So tonight I enjoyed (all 2016 editions):

-VW Lot B (12yr.)

-PVW 15 yr.

-PWV 20yr.

-BTAC Saz 18

-BTAC THH

-BTAC WLW

Favs were WLW & THH

Home now and getting into some Dark Horse Reunion Barrel Strength 100% Rye (114p)

I've been craving high proofers the past week, or so.  Tonight I decided to reach for Noah's Mill, to mix it up a bit.  This bottles been open at least a year, and it's currently in a really good spot for my palate.  Sweet and a bit hot, but otherwise a balanced pour with a satisfyingly lengthy finish. 

31 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I've been craving high proofers the past week, or so.  Tonight I decided to reach for Noah's Mill, to mix it up a bit.  This bottles been open at least a year, and it's currently in a really good spot for my palate.  Sweet and a bit hot, but otherwise a balanced pour with a satisfyingly lengthy finish. 

Ohhhhhh.........don't you go tempting me to take another chance on a KBD product now. Too many disappointments.

Had the last pour from an ECNAS in the new bottle. This was a great bottle from the first through the last pour. I may bunker up a bit on these in case the profile shifts to younger barrels, but for now, it's safe to say they are still delivering.

Now into a 4RSiB from the much heralded ME warehouse location. It's one of the better ones I've had in a while. 

Will follow with a WFE 4yr (Willett distilled). It's a challenging pour. Needs more age.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Will follow with a WFE 4yr (Willett distilled). It's a challenging pour. Needs more age.

Checking back in to say the the WFE 4yr benefits greatly from some water and some exposure. This gives me great hope for what it will taste like at 6yrs and up. 

9 hours ago, beasled said:

FR SmBLE 2016. Hideous neat. Lush with water. Cheers!

8 hours ago, beasled said:

Ok hideous might be stretching it but i honestly cannot find anything positive to say about it neat. Its hot, its uber sweet, its got next to no profile, but with water I think its a fine pour. 

8 hours ago, beasled said:

Its very different to the 2015 I'll give you that! 

I have to say, i'm trying REAL HARD to love that one, but it's hot and the flavors are well hidden, mabye it needs oxydation to shine. Water is helping for sure. Not in the same league as 2014 and 2015.

We are gonna miss Mr. Rutledge. 

Will.

5 hours ago, Justin said:

Just cracked open a 2016 Handy - he's a powerful one!

IMG_1468.JPG

Really nice! 

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Local store takes some of their BTAC and Pappy allocation and does a tasting night.

So tonight I enjoyed (all 2016 editions):

-VW Lot B (12yr.)

-PVW 15 yr.

-PWV 20yr.

-BTAC Saz 18

-BTAC THH

-BTAC WLW

Favs were WLW & THH

Home now and getting into some Dark Horse Reunion Barrel Strength 100% Rye (114p)

Seems like a great night, WLW is always a winner.

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Buffalo Trace has the most beautiful grounds / property and some of the best (free) tours.  The ghost tour at night gets you into Col. Blanton's mansion....

2nd choice would be Four Roses.

Buffalo Trace has free tour (i assume, no testing at the end ??) I love them both BT and FR are on my list next time i 'll go to the US.

Will.

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

I have to say, i'm trying REAL HARD to love that one, but it's hot and the flavors are well hidden, mabye it needs oxydation to shine. Water is helping for sure. Not in the same league as 2014 and 2015.

We are gonna miss Mr. Rutledge. 

Will.

I'm about a third of the way through the bottle and I suppose a more succinct way to describe it would be 'a hot mess'.

As mentioned water certainly does help a lot.  

After a Whisk(e)y Wednesday tasting of The Glenlivet NASs (Founder's Reserve, Nadurra First Fill & Oloroso) and Aberlour (16 & 18), had a dram of '15 FRSmBLE followed by a nice pour of '14 OFBB.  Surprisingly, neither bourbon was "Oh WOW" good last night as they have been in the past.  The FR was tasting "meh" with a very short finish and the OF was very sweet, almost syrupy.  Maybe the scotch was throwing off the palate last night - certainly hope so.   <_<

2 hours ago, beasled said:

I'm about a third of the way through the bottle and I suppose a more succinct way to describe it would be 'a hot mess'.

As mentioned water certainly does help a lot.  

How far are you taking the proof down? I guess it's substantial, to get such a drastic shift in flavor profile?

Picked up some Jim Beam Double oak.

Never had it before.

Very easy to drink.

Quite sweet. Very rounded mouth feel..soft. Quite a bit of carmel....bordering on the toffee side. Definitely some oak there..but not the type of oak you get from longer aged whiskey. This oak flavor is more of the darker char/oak variety rather than lively woody/oak. There is some spice in there..but not much. Pretty low rye% for sure. Almost reminded me of a wheater. The finish I found to be very quick..too quick for me. I find to get all of what this pour has to offer, you really need to hold it in your mouth a while..maybe give it a swish or two.

Then the flavor lingers for a while and some of the spice comes out. Extremely gentle stuff. I like the flavor a lot actually. I really think upping the proof on this one could make it a real stand out. But at 43% the flavors don't stay around long enough. A BIG step up from JBW.

I just finished a Devil's cut also. The JBDC had a much longer finish (little higher proof too). The DC also was less sweet, more spicy, and more had lively woody oakiness.

This JBDO is definitely the softer, sweeter, gentler Beam.

4 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Buffalo Trace has free tour (i assume, no testing at the end ??) I love them both BT and FR are on my list next time i 'll go to the US.

Will.

You get the free tasting as well even though it's a free tour - even better!

Just now, JPK said:

Picked up some Jim Beam Double oak.

Never had it before.

Very easy to drink.

Quite sweet. Very rounded mouth feel..soft. Quite a bit of carmel....bordering on the toffee side. Definitely some oak there..but not the type of oak you get from longer aged whiskey. This oak flavor is more of the darker char/oak variety rather than lively woody/oak. There is some spice in there..but not much. Pretty low rye% for sure. Almost reminded me of a wheater. The finish I found to be very quick..too quick for me. I find to get all of what this pour has to offer, you really need to hold it in your mouth a while..maybe give it a swish or two.

Then the flavor lingers for a while and some of the spice comes out. Extremely gentle stuff. I like the flavor a lot actually. I really think upping the proof on this one could make it a real stand out. But at 43% the flavors don't stay around long enough. A BIG step up from JBW.

I just finished a Devil's cut also. The JBDC had a much longer finish (little higher proof too). The DC also was less sweet, more spicy, and more had lively woody oakiness.

This JBDO is definitely the softer, sweeter, gentler Beam.

My thoughts on the JBDO are almost exactly the same as yours now that I've had about 1/4 of the bottle. At first I was disappointed but I had a generous pour in a rocks glass the other night and it's sweetness started to shine through.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.