What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, don't you just love cold days?  Can't do yard work.  Laundry's already done.  What I gonna do?

Started with a light pour of OE BIB 7yr - that mushroom, wet leather, leaf mold finish has me absolutely captivated - makes me feel like I'm doing yard work while I'm watching old movies on TV.  THEN, had a short pour of WT RB Batch 3 (108.2 proof) with a small ice cube taking it to about 103.  After a few hours (like, 2), I snuck a before-dinner pour of CR "Hand Selected Barrel" 103 proof with a cube (to continue to reduce the bunker, of course).

Two thoughts on all this.  

(1) How ELSE would barrels be selected - by arrow shot into the dark?  By random algorithmic manipulation of the rickhouse inventory? I wish.

(2) Somebody ought to limit the amount of demerara sugar/molasses/royal jelly CR is allowed to add to its quasi-limited editions.  When I am craving a sweet whiskey (but not TOO sweet), the CR HSB does hit the spot on a cold day.  Maybe those persons in Gimli who made this know something after all.

Some SAOS SB 10yr with the lovely Lady Raven to start the evening off in a boutique hotel. Next is dinner with a nice red we brought and then more bourbon. Love date nights like this!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Trying out a new bottle of Wild Turkey Decades tonight.  My first impression is very good.  I love the extra proof. 

IMG_1187.JPG

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Trying out a new bottle of Wild Turkey Decades tonight.  My first impression is very good.  I love the extra proof. 

IMG_1187.JPG

Very nice. Never heard of that one.

Starting with OBGH tonight. Better than some of the reviews I have read. A pleasant surprise. 20170128_194326.thumb.jpg.1dfa9aa3dc9c8f

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Some of this tonight. Giving it another try, tonight better than the other night.

IMG_0721_zpsoa2tnoz3.jpg

Several got together for good food and REAL GOOD whiskey. I'm glad they reached low enough to grab me.:)

image.jpeg

Edited by FacePlant

It was the KU Jayhawks vs Kentucky in college hoops late this afternoon. Seemed like a good reason to settle down with a pour of Booker's. Good bourbon and a good game.

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Several got together for good food and REAL GOOD whiskey. I'm glad they reached low enough to grab me.:)

Nice line up FP. Good friends, good food and good bourbon make for good times. It doesn't matter where you're on the totem pole. ;)

Cheers! Joe

1792 Full Proof private store selection tonight and last night.  I really love this stuff.  There's a certain satisfaction when you stumble across an under-the-radar giant killer that tastes as good as some other whiskies that are twice the price.

Edited by Kepler

6 hours ago, LCWoody said:

IMG_1187.JPG

I didn't know it had been released here yet.  Is this a US bottle or an import?

Had a pour of 2016 THH and ORVW this afternoon.  The THH blew it away. The nose was great..especially on the empty glass. Cotton candy.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I didn't know it had been released here yet.  Is this a US bottle or an import?

I picked it up here at a local store. 

11 hours ago, FacePlant said:

image.jpeg

Awesome!

Out running some errands and stopped into Harry and Izzy's for a pour.  They had a bottle of 2016 OF Birthday getting low, went with that for $17.  He dumped the last 4-5oz into a rocks glass, I can't complain.  Half way through it :D

IMG_0462.JPG

Edited by Nm0369

Killed a store select Dickel 9. Then had a sweet pour of Blanton's SFTB. If not for the numbing on the roof of my mouth, I'd never suspect it was 127 proof. A tiny bit of water and it is perfect. 

Running low on that 15´ Stagg, hopefully some 16´ is on the way home. 

Cheers! 

Will.

IMG_8062.JPG

Popped open a new bottle of MM Private Select this afternoon. This one is a vanilla bomb with a hint of wood. Maker's has hit out of the park with 46 and now this, they are both dangerously drinkable. 

Been on the scotch most of the evening. Having a pour of EHT SiB. Nice change of pace. Cheers all! 

Enjoyed a WT101 neat tonight.  Nice oak character and a nice finish.  It was the first pour of the $20 handle from Trader Joe's and I'm going to have to get another bottle while this crazy sale continues.

Its been a weird bourbon day. We had some hot chocolate with bourbon cream earlier today while putting away the last of Christmas.  Then I had a pour of ETL because I ended up with another bottle yesterday so the rationing relaxed. Now I'm having a Sazerac made with Baby Saz and Herbsaint..also because I ended up with an extra Baby Saz yesterday, too. Might have capacity for one more cocktail or pour while watching the NHL all star game(s).

Had a HH BiB for lunch, EC NAS in the afternoon, and then an EW BiB for dinner. 

Edited by poli_sci_prof

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.