What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses Yellow Label tonight, a friend offered me this for my birthday, it's very sweet, it's like the regular small batch but watered down like hell. 

Cheers!

Will.

Enjoyed a recently open 4RPS OBSF I purchased a couple years back. The first pour was just kinda meh, the last couple have been very, very good. I first tasted this one at a GBS event and wasn't blown away. It was OK but not great and I was at a point where I didn't quite trust my evaluation at that point in the evening :).  I rolled the dice and bought some and that first pour was the "meh" pour, now it seems to be hitting me just right. Looking forward to the streak continuing as I have an affinity for the 4R "F"s and I am loving how this one is shaping up.

Starting off big for the weekend.

WT American Spirit.

One killer bird.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey earned his money this week, so it's quickly out to the back patio for an Oliva V Melanio and a big ol' pour of Buffalo Trace....

For starters.... :D

Opened up my KC2001. Like most other reviews, I think it's very good whiskey, but I'm not sure it stands out that much over KC. Now back to bottle-clearing mode and Balcones bourbon, which I decided I don't much care for after all. 

Well there's something to be said for that first pour of the evening on a fresh palate. Enjoying a 4RSmB at the office and it's tasting about as good or better than I can ever recall. Even the finish is super long. I usually start my pours after dinner and we all know how food and whatnot can effect your palate.

(Backdrop for those who care to read further......one of the design teams in our office is working on a huge project for a large company you all know. My friend leads the team. His team has been bugging him for more group design time so he made a deal: start at 4pm on Fridays and he will make drinks for whoever wants them (boulevardiers are the drink of choice). They then go as long as anyone wants to. They get access to the team leader, he gets drinks. I'm not on that team, but it pays to be good friends with the team leader! I just swing by, he pours me a drink or a bourbon neat, and I return to my desk and finish the work week with a nice pour.)

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

Well there's something to be said for that first pour of the evening on a fresh palate. Enjoying a 4RSmB at the office and it's tasting about as good or better than I can ever recall. Even the finish is super long. I usually start my pours after dinner and we all know how food and whatnot can effect your palate.

(Backdrop for those who care to read further......one of the design teams in our office is working on a huge project for a large company you all know. My friend leads the team. His team has been bugging him for more group design time so he made a deal: start at 4pm on Fridays and he will make drinks for whoever wants them (boulevardiers are the drink of choice). They then go as long as anyone wants to. They get access to the team leader, he gets drinks. I'm not on that team, but it pays to be good friends with the team leader! I just swing by, he pours me a drink or a bourbon neat, and I return to my desk and finish the work week with a nice pour.)

Couldn't agree more.  While I may "feel" better as the night goes on, that first pour is special (if not the best, maybe the best appreciated).  Also - apparently I'm in the wrong line of work!!

Finishing tonight with a pour of GTS '14.  Itching for some bourbon after the rye, but needed something to stand out.  Believe I found it!

22 hours ago, Hop said:

Been drinking ryes the last couple of nights and started off that way tonight but switched off to EC12 followed by a local ABC store pick of KCSB

After seeing your stash, you - my friend - can pretty much drink anything you want anytime you want.  :lol:

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

It's been raining a lot of late, as the creeks and rivers are full.  In the spirit, I went with Knob Creek SB followed by Rowan's Creek. 

Drinking in a theme keeps things interesting.  If not, just drinking bourbon will do the same thing.

20 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Had another big helping of an ER10 store pick. This is nice and oaky. The sticker on the side says "11 years" which I've never seen on one of these before

I think it is cool when a store is able to include an age label, especially when it is something out of the ordinary.  I find BT just ok, ER much better.  So, I find the BT #1 mashbill is better with more age.  Of course, I love GTS!

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Now, that's pretty cool.  Nice way to end the work week!

My pour tonight is OF 1920 while watching the Pacers slowing try to catch up to the Kings.  Done wore the dogs out so they are sleeping.  Time to relax.

Edited by mbroo5880i

It figures. Having the last pour from a bottle of Barterhouse and I stumbled upon what makes this whiskey really sing..... pasta with a kick-ass red sauce. For whatever reason the sauce brings out both a sweetness and some dark cherry flavors I've never noticed before.

This bottle was never remotely close to being a favorite and had been open for a couple of years, so it's nice that it finished on a positive note.

My pour tonight is OF 1920 while watching the Pacers slowing try to catch up to the Kings.  Done wore the dogs out so they are sleeping.  Time to relax.

Same here tonight. The OF 1920 hits all the right buttons with me.

ae59788b39aefd55a5fde421196ac0d0.jpg

Haven't uncorked them yet but I picked up a couple of bottles today.

1)  Larceny 92 proof.

2) Knob Creek Single Barrel.  This is the one that really intrigues me.  If was a barrel selected by Packages & More a local liquor store.  It is 13 years & 9 months and 120 proof.  Probably going to try it on Sunday.  After tasting I'll get back and let everyone know what I thought.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

After travelling for the last 8 hours. ...finally made it home to some SAOS SiB 106.8 ....so good. Followed by some BT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Enjoyed a WT101 neat tonight.  Nice oak character and a nice finish.  It was the first pour of the $20 handle from Trader Joe's and I'm going to have to get another bottle while this crazy sale continues.

Buffalo Trace Store pick. Awesome. Dark fruits, vanilla, rye spice, banana, caramel. What more can you ask for?

It figures. Having the last pour from a bottle of Barterhouse and I stumbled upon what makes this whiskey really sing..... pasta with a kick-ass red sauce. For whatever reason the sauce brings out both a sweetness and some dark cherry flavors I've never noticed before.

This bottle was never remotely close to being a favorite and had been open for a couple of years, so it's nice that it finished on a positive note.

The onion in the sauce may be contributing to that sweetness.

I opened my first Old Ezra 7/101 the other night.  Classic heaven hill profile, really tasty.  After my first glass of this, I dumped that bad barrel of EWSB I've been complaining about into my mixer decanter.

Been trying to kill off open bottles but Blanton's has been calling my name so I opened a 375 and am glad I did

On 1/24/2017 at 11:10 PM, Charlutz said:

A few of us Maryland SB'ers met a local BBQ joint and had a great time tonight.  If you count the whole table, we had GTS, THH, ORVW, Lot B, ETL, RHF, W12 and probably a few others that I didn't see. Plus beers and food. Pic is dark but left front going clockwise around the table is garbanzobean (Eric), meadeweber (Jason), jfw (Joe) and then back right working to front is stoopsie (Howie), his buddy Kevin, Charlutz (Charlie) and mdbourbon (Scott). We had a great time and it was good to put faces to names. Thanks fellas!

PS -  pic was just before we left, thus the high incidence of water and lack of whiskey (we drank it all).

IMG_2539.JPG

Aw, crap.  I really wanted to be there.  Thanks for posting.  I printed this out and showed it to my wife.  "SEE?  I coulda BEEN there.":(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.