What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

My guess it is a typo.  Probably fat fingers... :lol:  Intended RY10yr SiB (Rebel Yell 10yr SiB), I'm sure.

I can't even blame consumption for that one as it was my first pour. Jeeze......

2 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Glad you got a good barrel of the Reb! 

I appear to have lucked out. Fingers crossed for the other bottles I have.

I'm continuing the theme this evening with another pour of RY10yr SiB (and I spelled it right this time!)

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

A few of us Maryland SB'ers met a local BBQ joint and had a great time tonight.  If you count the whole table, we had GTS, THH, ORVW, Lot B, ETL, RHF, W12 and probably a few others that I didn't see. Plus beers and food. Pic is dark but left front going clockwise around the table is garbanzobean (Eric), meadeweber (Jason), jfw (Joe) and then back right working to front is stoopsie (Howie), his buddy Kevin, Charlutz (Charlie) and mdbourbon (Scott). We had a great time and it was good to put faces to names. Thanks fellas!

PS -  pic was just before we left, thus the high incidence of water and lack of whiskey (we drank it all).

IMG_2539.JPG

Good looking crew!  It's nice to see you guys having a bit of fun, and fellowship.  Cheers!

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

In emptying a couple of bottles last week, I vatted the last small remnants of a Lot B and an Old Rip 10 into a 200 ml. That be what I'm pouring tonight. Just like Campbell's Soup. "Mmmm Mmmm Good." :)

Cheers! Joe

Sounds like a good vatting, Joe!

6 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

MMCS is under appreciated in my humble opinion. Reasonable price, good viscosity, flavors. 

I dig it

I agree, it's petty good.

Will.

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Like most wheater's, it definitely gets better as it opens up.

I bought a case of 750's last year when a store had them on sale for $36

:)

At $36, it's clear buy.

:)

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I did try it (MMCS) tonight. Got a heavy acetone like smell on the nose at first. It dissipated a bit was still there some after a while. Other than that I get some sweet smell and then a spiciness (curry?). I dont really get any oak. The mouthfeel is very syrupy and the dominant taste is sweetness. At the end i get a bit of spice and then finally the oak as it fades out. The finish is the most balanced of the whole experience with sweet, spice, and oak all together for a short bit but the palate is so syrupy sweet that its really one dimensional. Way sweeter than i expected. My experience may have been compromised by having some Stagg Jr. just before this.

Nice desciption of it. I'm gonna pour another glass tonight and i'll put the bottle away a for few week and i'll let the oxydation operate. 

I love the Stagg Jr, but it's hard to staste something after that, which batch is it ? 

Cheers ! 

Will.

10 hours ago, Charlutz said:

A few of us Maryland SB'ers met a local BBQ joint and had a great time tonight.  If you count the whole table, we had GTS, THH, ORVW, Lot B, ETL, RHF, W12 and probably a few others that I didn't see. Plus beers and food. Pic is dark but left front going clockwise around the table is garbanzobean (Eric), meadeweber (Jason), jfw (Joe) and then back right working to front is stoopsie (Howie), his buddy Kevin, Charlutz (Charlie) and mdbourbon (Scott). We had a great time and it was good to put faces to names. Thanks fellas!

PS -  pic was just before we left, thus the high incidence of water and lack of whiskey (we drank it all).

IMG_2539.JPG

Awesome!

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

I did try it (MMCS) tonight. Got a heavy acetone like smell on the nose at first. It dissipated a bit was still there some after a while. Other than that I get some sweet smell and then a spiciness (curry?). I dont really get any oak. The mouthfeel is very syrupy and the dominant taste is sweetness. At the end i get a bit of spice and then finally the oak as it fades out. The finish is the most balanced of the whole experience with sweet, spice, and oak all together for a short bit but the palate is so syrupy sweet that its really one dimensional. Way sweeter than i expected. My experience may have been compromised by having some Stagg Jr. just before this.

That is how I feel about it as well, kind of a mess and lots of acetone.  I'm going to go back to it one of these days.

13 hours ago, Charlutz said:

IMG_2539.JPG

That's what I'm talking about!

Cheers, Jeff

15 hours ago, Charlutz said:

IMG_2539.JPG

Hockey, BBQ, bourbon, and friends!  Sounds like heaven...

19 hours ago, Charlutz said:

IMG_2539.JPG

I absolutely love when folks here get together.  And, thanks for the pic with names.  Great to see others in this wonderful community.  Well done fellas!  Sounds like a great time.  No need to explain the water.  I didn't doubt for a millisecond that y'all put a big hurtin' on some great whiskies!!!

Cheers!

No themes tonight. Just mixing it up with bourbons I like. ECNAS first and I'm not getting the oak complexity I've gotten in previous pours this week. Followed with 4RSmB. Singing a very strong tune tonight in a familiar way. Finishing with WTRB 112 and for whatever reason, this is the clear winner tonight. 

4R SmBLE 2016.

Been open a month or so and even with water it's hot as fuck. Kinda hoped it would have mellowed a bit by now. Not entirely unpleasant though.

I'm enjoying a solid pour of Johnny Drum Private Stock tonight. Down to only a few pours left in the bottle.  I can see myself getting another bottle.  

Opened up this bottle tonight, not too bad for $19, definitely not the Signature level, but good for mixing. Let's give it a few more try's as well.

IMG_0702_zpszdn7x0rn.jpg

Been drinking ryes the last couple of nights and started off that way tonight but switched off to EC12 followed by a local ABC store pick of KCSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been raining a lot of late, as the creeks and rivers are full.  In the spirit, I went with Knob Creek SB followed by Rowan's Creek. 

Had another big helping of an ER10 store pick. This is nice and oaky. The sticker on the side says "11 years" which I've never seen on one of these before

48 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Had another big helping of an ER10 store pick. This is nice and oaky. The sticker on the side says "11 years" which I've never seen on one of these before

Nice. Given the supply pressures on BT in general, I'm surprised an ER barrel sat around for an extra year.

6 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Maybe some day. Enjoy!

I wish you can get it, it's a masterpiece.

Cheers!

Will.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.