What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not sure why I haven't revisited this one since my initial pour but... I pulled out the Russells Reserve 1998 for the first pour tonight and have about 2 ozs in a tumbler right now.  Better than I recall from the first pour but that's likely just me.  Going to slow sip it and see where we go

AHHHH tragedy!!!!!!! I just knocked over my glass and spilled 2oz of freshly poured OWA on the ground!!  :'(

some HW double rye. anyone else noticed the current bottles don't say a mix of 2 and 16 year anymore?

bought 4 of the old 2/16 batches last year when I noticed that. Haven't compared them to the newer ones, but one had to figure they'd run out of 16 year Barton rye sooner or later.

1 hour ago, bourbs bro said:

AHHHH tragedy!!!!!!! I just knocked over my glass and spilled 2oz of freshly poured OWA on the ground!!  :'(

The 5 second rule does not apply to bourbon! :lol:

On topic!  I'm sipping some OF1920 while watching a little college basketball.

1 hour ago, bourbs bro said:

That is alcohol abuse!

While watching the Blues hockey game I'm revisiting my RY10SB after a couple weeks. I'm FINALLY getting a little bit of those sweet and leathery notes others have mentioned. Still not great but not quite the hot mess it was when I opened it.  Let's go Blues!

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

Revisiting the 15' 4R SmB, wow, it continues to blow me away. 

Cheers! 

Will.

It is great, isn't it?  It is one of best LEs that I've personally tasted.

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

It is great, isn't it?  It is one of best LEs that I've personally tasted.

Another great release from Mr. Rutledge, hopefully, i have another one in the bunker. Personally, it's one of my favorite too, from the nose to the finish, really amazing.

Cheers! 

28 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Another great release from Mr. Rutledge, hopefully, i have another one in the bunker. Personally, it's one of my favorite too, from the nose to the finish, really amazing.

Cheers! 

Amen, brother!

The 2015 I found to be a close cousin to the 2013.  Both are exquisite!

One of the few bottles I won't share with anyone!  :)

4 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Amen, brother!

The 2015 I found to be a close cousin to the 2013.  Both are exquisite!

One of the few bottles I won't share with anyone!  :)

Never had the chance to taste the famous 125th anniversary, but I'm not complaining, I was lucky to score two 2015. 

4 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Got off work early today, so a pour of 1792 Full Proof and SB forum time to kick off the afternoon.

Can't find this one in Europe, how is it? Apparently, lots of people find it great. 

Cheers!

Will. 

Just now, Masset1982 said:

Can't find this one in Europe, how is it?

Well, as someone who loves all things 1792, I would say it is good, but not a favorite by any means.

You know how with some high proof stuff, people describe it as drinking smooth and can't believe its such high proof?

Yeah, not with this.  Its hot and slightly mean at first.  After sitting a bit the alcohol vapors dissipate slightly and the flavors start to show, but I would never say its an easy to drink dram.

Water and 1792 do not get along well either.

What's funny is that during my tour at Barton, I kept looking around, thinking about what a disorganized mess their distillery is compared to the other 8 I visited.

I think their whiskey kind of follows that profile too.  It's just a weird animal.

There's a reason why the common small batch blend is a really good bottle...

36 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Well, as someone who loves all things 1792, I would say it is good, but not a favorite by any means.

You know how with some high proof stuff, people describe it as drinking smooth and can't believe its such high proof?

Yeah, not with this.  Its hot and slightly mean at first.  After sitting a bit the alcohol vapors dissipate slightly and the flavors start to show, but I would never say its an easy to drink dram.

Water and 1792 do not get along well either.

What's funny is that during my tour at Barton, I kept looking around, thinking about what a disorganized mess their distillery is compared to the other 8 I visited.

I think their whiskey kind of follows that profile too.  It's just a weird animal.

There's a reason why the common small batch blend is a really good bottle...

Great description, thanks. 

Visiting a US distillery is on my bucket, which one did you prefer ? 

38 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Great description, thanks. 

Visiting a US distillery is on my bucket, which one did you prefer ? 

Buffalo Trace has the most beautiful grounds / property and some of the best (free) tours.  The ghost tour at night gets you into Col. Blanton's mansion....

2nd choice would be Four Roses.

After the RR1998 last night I stayed with WT and poured some Masters Keep and enjoyed both quite a bit.  Tonight it's a store selection of HMK10BIB I got a few years ago and hadn't opened yet for the opening pour

11 minutes ago, beasled said:

FR SmBLE 2016. Hideous neat. Lush with water. Cheers!

I have not tried 2016 but I can't imagine it being "hideous"?!  I know previous batches were far from that, with or without water.

12 minutes ago, beasled said:

FR SmBLE 2016. Hideous neat. Lush with water. Cheers!

I'm sorry, but that's absurd.  However, I respect your personal taste preferences.  :)

Ok hideous might be stretching it but i honestly cannot find anything positive to say about it neat. Its hot, its uber sweet, its got next to no profile, but with water I think its a fine pour. 

20 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I have not tried 2016 but I can't imagine it being "hideous"?!  I know previous batches were far from that, with or without water.

Its very different to the 2015 I'll give you that! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.