What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Brought in the new year with two of my favorite Bourbons 

IMG_1070.JPG

Nice.  How good is the 1998?  That's one I missed out on.

I've been hitting the LE's pretty hard this past week as I was off work for the holidays. I hit them hard enough to empty quite a few bottles so I wasn't sure if I should open some new ones for New Year's Eve or go with what else was already open. I decided on the latter and went with a Russell's Reserve SiB Rye private selection and a RRSiB Bourbon private selection that are both from a group I'm a part of and these are both fantastic whiskeys that hold their own against what I've been drinking all week. Finishing with some ECBP as we are still 45 minutes away from midnight here on the west coast.

Lost a bet with a coworker and had to take him to lunch - among other things we each had a pour of willett 23 "my brown bunny"...followed by another - pretty incredible stuff ( not pleasant paying for it but a bet is a bet )...at home, the wife and I have been drinking a Binnys pick FR barrel proof which, at $59.99, is close to beating many LE's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy New Year from the west coast. Still working on that ECBP as well as the customary mini bottle of cheap champagne that we crack once a year this time of year. 

8 hours ago, Richdel said:

Thanks for the full back story.  I never heard of, much less tasted Weller Centennial.  But if the SB Blend was meant to mimic Weller Centennial, then Weller Centennial must be some good bourbon.  I thoroughly enjoyed the SB Blend, even more so when I followed it up with Henry McKenna BIB for the first time.  Those two bourbons were polar opposites to my taste.  The peppery rye finish of Henry McKenna BiB was way to heavy for my liking, especially after the SB Blend.  I think the HMcM BiB needs to tasted on a night when I can give it my undivided attention.  Again, did not know the origins of SB Blend, so sorry if I offended anyone with the use of PMP.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Richdel, that's silly, call it whatever you want.  Somebody here 'slapped my wrist' so to speak,  when I first posted on this site for the same thing.  In fact, let's say it together just to be rebels:  "Poor Man's Pappy".  Haha, sorry.

Whoever decides to mix this (or any other mixture at home with whatever liquid they choose) can call it whatever they want, because it's "intended" to taste like whatever that person wants it to be.  Unless Sazerac decides to register the blend themselves, I think it's open season, that's the nature of home mixing. :-)

Not trying to get in on the name strife, but one interesting difference between when I joined and now (a mere 2.5 years later I think?) is that the SB blend was very common to see in the "what are you drinking" threads, appearing multiple times per day, but it seems like Weller products are too heavily allocated now for so many to be experimenting with blending them.  Not calling anyone right or wrong because it's bourbon and who cares, but I appreciated @flahute taking a moment to provide interesting historical trivia to a poster who clearly wasn't aware of that particular Blend's history.  That's one of the things I love about SB.  Folks will bend over backwards to explain themselves to newer posters.  That's how I've always felt, at any rate . . .

Personally, the only bottle of Weller 12 I have seen on shelves since I resumed my bourbon habit in recent years was going for $86.99.  OWA used to be more common, but has since dried up.    Speaking of which, a spot on my shelves opened up the other day.  Might be time to seek out the recent dump of OWA or WSR and see how they taste.

Edit: Incidentally, I had Stagg Jr for my lone NYE pour of bourbon last night.  I think my palate was off because the scotch I tried first tasted meh.  Regardless, Stagg Jr. powered through and delivered the goods.  It felt slightly washed out, but I'm not sure any other bourbon could have made it through the fog at all.  Great stuff.

Edited by garbanzobean

Oh all the wonderful Weller Centennial talk.

Even before a read this thread I decided to start 2017 with a Weller Centennial.  Oh the nose, the mouth feel, the wonderful sweetness, and the finish.

It's best before coffee and breakfast.  Resolve to try bourbon this way this year.  You won't be disappointed.  

42 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Oh all the wonderful Weller Centennial talk.

Even before a read this thread I decided to start 2017 with a Weller Centennial.  Oh the nose, the mouth feel, the wonderful sweetness, and the finish.

It's best before coffee and breakfast.  Resolve to try bourbon this way this year.  You won't be disappointed.  

I haven't had a pre-breakfast pour in a couple years, but I can verify that it is one of the finest space-time locii for bourbon enjoyment.

The fact you consider me "wrong" and yourself right just underscores that you don't get it.  Nobody is "wrong" here.  My point is that nobody owns a home mixture, so trying to claim it is pointless and futile.  Who's to say who was the first to blend them anyway.  

What's "wrong" is trying to mix a 12 yr product and a 5-7 yr product and have any expectation that they will taste like a higher proof 15 year product. That's the fallacy of PMP. And while nobody has claimed ownership it IS undisputed that the 60/40 blend of OWA to W12 was concocted on SB. That's not futile or pointless. And Blake on bourbonr was called out on it when he made his PMP post. He admitted that he got the blend recipe here and belatedly gave credit to SB.com for it. 

But at the end of the day you mix what you want and how you want and call it what you want. But if you mix 60/40 then it's a fact that you get 100 proof and with a flavor profile very similar to 10 yr BT wheated. And that's what it was intended to do. 

Nice.  How good is the 1998?  That's one I missed out on.

Next to Wild Turkey Tribute (15y) and RB 1991 110p, it's the best WT bourbon I've had. Very good. 

Edited by LCWoody

Every ounce of last night's lineup is owed to the folks who have taken time out to share their experience and love of great bourbons on this forum.  Started with the FRYL and Fever Tree Ginger beer, which I find to be a perfect combination, both wallet wise and taste-wise.  Then moved on the the OF1920, which, for me, tasted every bit as good as its most enthusiastic backers have been saying.  Loved that chocolate and cherry note -- incredibly easy to drink but it certainly lets you know it's there.  Finished with the 1792 Full Proof, which was also outstanding.  I can't believe how smooth it is for a 125 proof bourbon.  

Again, my thanks to this forum -- great pours all around!   

nye.jpg

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I haven't had a pre-breakfast pour in a couple years, but I can verify that it is one of the finest space-time locii for bourbon enjoyment.

I got a chuckle out of that expression.  So true.

30 minutes ago, Steve L said:

Every ounce of last night's lineup is owed to the folks who have taken time out to share their experience and love of great bourbons on this forum.  Started with the FRYL and Fever Tree Ginger beer, which I find to be a perfect combination, both wallet wise and taste-wise.  Then moved on the the OF1920, which, for me, tasted every bit as good as its most enthusiastic backers have been saying.  Loved that chocolate and cherry note -- incredibly easy to drink but it certainly lets you know it's there.  Finished with the 1792 Full Proof, which was also outstanding.  I can't believe how smooth it is for a 125 proof bourbon.  

Again, my thanks to this forum -- great pours all around!   

Now that's a line up I can easily see myself enjoying in the near future! 

4 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

What's "wrong" is trying to mix a 12 yr product and a 5-7 yr product and have any expectation that they will taste like a higher proof 15 year product. That's the fallacy of PMP. And while nobody has claimed ownership it IS undisputed that the 60/40 blend of OWA to W12 was concocted on SB. That's not futile or pointless. And Blake on bourbonr was called out on it when he made his PMP post. He admitted that he got the blend recipe here and belatedly gave credit to SB.com for it. 

But at the end of the day you mix what you want and how you want and call it what you want. But if you mix 60/40 then it's a fact that you get 100 proof and with a flavor profile very similar to 10 yr BT wheated. And that's what it was intended to do. 

Not sure the SB blend can even be called "Poor Man's Pappy" any more as the 12 year is not priced  for the poor man anymore as well as the OWA in most regions.

13 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Brought in the new year with two of my favorite Bourbons 

IMG_1070.JPG

I'm curious about the WTMK, I can get it for €240, is it worth it ? 

Ive never seen the RR 1998 around here. 

Cheers! 

Will

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

Not sure the SB blend can even be called "Poor Man's Pappy" any more as the 12 year is not priced  for the poor man anymore as well as the OWA in most regions.

Well, no doubt that the cute idea of a W12/OWA mix subbing for unobtainable Pappy went out the window with unobtainable W12. Most folks see Weller 12 about as often as the Van Winkles these days. 

3 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

Well, no doubt that the cute idea of a W12/OWA mix subbing for unobtainable Pappy went out the window with unobtainable W12. Most folks see Weller 12 about as often as the Van Winkles these days. 

To me this kind of solves the dispute about about PMP versus SB blend. Given that Weller 12 is almost a unicorn (and therefore priced pretty high on the secondary), and OWA is rare at the best of times, there should be a new blend given the title poor man's pappy. The SB blend however will always remain a relevant name regardless of price fluctuations. ;p

One of my bourbon buddies hosted New Years last night and treated us to filet mignon, jurassic lobster tails and ER17. I had him over this afternoon for THH and opened my PHC24yo. The THH is one of my favorites and I feel no guilt at paying 3x retail to have it available on my bar. Sure, I wish I could have found it at retail but that wasn't an option. The cotton candy/rye spice mix works for me and I'd had it this year in a restaurant to confirm I wanted it before I decided to pay the premium. 

The PHC is good but I need to spend more time with it. Very oak forward and tobacco. Got subtle vanilla on the back end. It is good. I'm glad I got it. It came to me at $200 all in. I would not pay the $400 I see at the only place near me that has it on the shelf but I suppose that's not saying much. 

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers! 

Will

I love WTMK, around here it goes for $120 up to $150.  I think that's a fair price for a 17-year-old bourbon that isn't watered down. I know some will say that if the proof was higher it might be worth it, but it's a very unique one of a kind bourbon. Obviously its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't see a problem with paying up to $150 for it. 

6 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I love WTMK, around here it goes for $120 up to $150.  I think that's a fair price for a 17-year-old bourbon that isn't watered down. I know some will say that if the proof was higher it might be worth it, but it's a very unique one of a kind bourbon. Obviously its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't see a problem with paying up to $150 for it. 

I'm sure it's great, i'll be on the lockout or this one. 

3 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers! 

Will

That looks like a nice one!

On 12/31/2016 at 1:06 AM, flahute said:

GTS is good for all situations, but it goes down extra warm on a really cold day. I thought the '15 was a really good iteration of Stagg.

Oh man.......in situations like these, you gotta do a test pour to see how things are working before you commit to the full pour.

Well done good sir. I finished a bottle recently and have not yet worked up the gumption to open my second (and last) bottle.

Tell me more about this KC NAS. I'm well stocked on the age stated but need to know if I can slow down my consumption of it by mixing in the NAS. (Not actual mixing just to be clear, but alternating bottles)

Happy New Year, Steve.  Funny you should ask this question.  While watching the Giants-Skins game, I finished off (like, three minutes ago) my first (and only so far) NAS KC.  I've SBS compared it a couple times to a KC 9YR I also recently opened.  Like the switch from VOB BIB 6YR to VOB BIB "6", I have yet to find a significant difference between the NAS and the 9YR.  Said another way, I don't think the difference, so far, is any greater than I get from a KC 9YR I bought last year compared to a KC 9YR I bought this year - "negligible" is the word that comes to mind.

I like your alternating idea.  I, too, have (at recent consumption rates) a multi-year supply of the 9YR.  I'm hoping that, like the VOB BIB, I can be happy with the NAS for the foreseeable future, thus saving my bunkered age stated for my "old age".B)

Drinking a pour from a bottle of FRSB PS OESO, aged 12yr, 2mo.  There's a lot of oak, vanilla, and cherries.  I'm down to the last 1/4 of the bottle and so will be working it down to a bottle kill in the near future.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.