What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started last night with a pour of RHF, then moved on to some ECBP, then to some 4rLE (2015), ...then I did a vat of ECBP / RHF about 80/20, what a unique nose , and the taste was pretty darn good as well! Finished the night off with a pour from a fresh bottle of CEHT SB. Game over....3am bed time!

17 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

A nice pour of Elijah Craig 12 Yr. Old Barrel Proof (Batch 6) (140.2 Proof). Nice Sweetness!

IMG_0594_zpsdnhiiazj.jpg

This is really nice! 

A couple of pours tonight. 

The first one was 2015 FR SmB LE, than a pour of JD Traveler Select which was very nice. Later I'll have some WLW 2015 to finish to night. 

It's 8 pm here in Belgium, so I'm gonna wish to all a happy new year. 

Cheers ! 

Just poured some Buffalo Trace bourbon cream on ice with a healthy splash of Old Ezra 101.  Quite tasty, reminds me of a White Russian but better.

Henry McKenna BIB with the Peach Bowl.  Bama down by 7, and Washington has a guy named Van Winkle on their team...Uh oh, Tide...  ;)

Been fighting a cold the last two weeks, so decided on RHF as my "welcome back" pour.  Apparently premature on the recovery front (or at least for my taste buddies).  Ready to be done with 2016

Trying a Poor Man's Pappy.  1 ounce of W12, .5 tsp water, then fill to 1.5 ounces with OWA107.  Pretty darn good.  Now I need a pour of W12 to see if 

I need to continue on this course or is W12 good enough to stand on it's own.  Good thing I am home for the evening.  Tide defense looks awfully tough. 

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Henry McKenna BIB with the Peach Bowl.  Bama down by 7, and Washington has a guy named Van Winkle on their team...Uh oh, Tide...  ;)

Minnick tweeted about this earlier and wondered if he preferred wheat bread to rye bread.

2 hours ago, Richdel said:

Trying a Poor Man's Pappy.  1 ounce of W12, .5 tsp water, then fill to 1.5 ounces with OWA107.  Pretty darn good.  Now I need a pour of W12 to see if 

I need to continue on this course or is W12 good enough to stand on it's own.  Good thing I am home for the evening.  Tide defense looks awfully tough. 

Since you are newer here, you likely don't the history behind this blend. It was invented right here on these pages and was intended to replicate the now defunct Weller Centennial. It's called the SB blend. It was co-opted by a blogger along the way who called it poor man's pappy which is a misnomer because it was never intended to be anywhere close to that.

Having a good pour of EHT Seasoned wood 

Happy New Years 

image.jpg

Edited by LCWoody

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Since you are newer here, you likely don't the history behind this blend. It was invented right here on these pages and was intended to replicate the now defunct Weller Centennial. It's called the SB blend. It was co-opted by a blogger along the way who called it poor man's pappy which is a misnomer because it was never intended to be anywhere close to that.

Thanks for the full back story.  I never heard of, much less tasted Weller Centennial.  But if the SB Blend was meant to mimic Weller Centennial, then Weller Centennial must be some good bourbon.  I thoroughly enjoyed the SB Blend, even more so when I followed it up with Henry McKenna BIB for the first time.  Those two bourbons were polar opposites to my taste.  The peppery rye finish of Henry McKenna BiB was way to heavy for my liking, especially after the SB Blend.  I think the HMcM BiB needs to tasted on a night when I can give it my undivided attention.  Again, did not know the origins of SB Blend, so sorry if I offended anyone with the use of PMP.

Now having a great pour of Michters 20y. I think this is a 2014 bottle it's been open for several years. 

IMG_1066.JPG

Edited by LCWoody

On 12/29/2016 at 7:01 PM, Justin said:

Any chance you can divulge the barrel numbers of the good and the meh?

The meh bottle is gone now so i don't have that number but the good barrel is 4744182. 

25 minutes ago, Richdel said:

Thanks for the full back story.  I never heard of, much less tasted Weller Centennial.  But if the SB Blend was meant to mimic Weller Centennial, then Weller Centennial must be some good bourbon.  I thoroughly enjoyed the SB Blend, even more so when I followed it up with Henry McKenna BIB for the first time.  Those two bourbons were polar opposites to my taste.  The peppery rye finish of Henry McKenna BiB was way to heavy for my liking, especially after the SB Blend.  I think the HMcM BiB needs to tasted on a night when I can give it my undivided attention.  Again, did not know the origins of SB Blend, so sorry if I offended anyone with the use of PMP.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

It was co-opted by a blogger along the way who called it poor man's pappy which is a misnomer because it was never intended to be anywhere close to that.

Richdel, that's silly, call it whatever you want.  Somebody here 'slapped my wrist' so to speak,  when I first posted on this site for the same thing.  In fact, let's say it together just to be rebels:  "Poor Man's Pappy".  Haha, sorry.

Whoever decides to mix this (or any other mixture at home with whatever liquid they choose) can call it whatever they want, because it's "intended" to taste like whatever that person wants it to be.  Unless Sazerac decides to register the blend themselves, I think it's open season, that's the nature of home mixing. :-)

^^^I'd agree with you, but you probably paid more for you're last W12 than anyone here ever paid for a Weller Centennial!;)

56 minutes ago, Richdel said:

Nobody was offended, so no worries about that. More information is always better than less information.

24 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Richdel, that's silly, call it whatever you want.  Somebody here 'slapped my wrist' so to speak,  when I first posted on this site for the same thing.  In fact, let's say it together just to be rebels:  "Poor Man's Pappy".  Haha, sorry.

Whoever decides to mix this (or any other mixture at home with whatever liquid they choose) can call it whatever they want, because it's "intended" to taste like whatever that person wants it to be.  Unless Sazerac decides to register the blend themselves, I think it's open season, that's the nature of home mixing. :-)

If you thought you were slapped on the wrist, that's on you.

You can call it what you want, so long as you are OK with being wrong.

In fact, I've decided that I don't prefer the name Kepler for you so I'm going to call you wrong from now on.;)

(Hopefully you know that I'm joking with you.)

Edited by flahute

13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^I'd agree with you, but you probably paid more for you're last W12 than anyone here ever paid for a Weller Centennial!;)

That's a true statement.....

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

Nobody was offended, so no worries about that. More information is always better than less information.

If you thought you were slapped on the wrist, that's on you.

You can call it what you want, so long as you are OK with being wrong.

In fact, I've decided that I don't prefer the name Kepler for you so I'm going to call you wrong from now on.;)

The fact you consider me "wrong" and yourself right just underscores that you don't get it.  Nobody is "wrong" here.  My point is that nobody owns a home mixture, so trying to claim it is pointless and futile.  Who's to say who was the first to blend them anyway.  

Started the last day of 2016 of with some OFBB '15. Then went out to dinner with some friends and had some EC NAS there at a decent price. Came home, put the kids to bed and have been hitting the HH6BIB before midnight. Now I get to dream about my first pour of 2017. Wonder what I should pick? Any suggestions?

Enjoying some mighty fine 1792 FP PS at home after watching some real dud college football games.  Getting ready to ring in the new year at home, which is coming up in half an hour where I am.

Edited by Kepler

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The fact you consider me "wrong" and yourself right just underscores that you don't get it.  Nobody is "wrong" here.  My point is that nobody owns a home mixture, so trying to claim it is pointless and futile.  Who's to say who was the first to blend them anyway.  

So I see you didn't get the joke. 

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

So I see you didn't get the joke. 

Sorry, now I see your footnote in the parenthesis.  I did miss the joke, guilty as charged, haha.  But, no worries, we're friendly here, and I have always respected your posts and opinions here about whiskey, and hope to continue conversations.  I confess I don't get the thing about SB Blend vs PMP, but I guess I just need to let it go now and get back to enjoying everyone's opinions about all things in the Bourbon world.  Happy New Year to all!  

had a bunch of friends over for a new year's party. tore through some "off your rocker" Booker's, some SAOS 99 proof rye 7 year, some KC 9 year, and some Double Rye High West, followed by some late 70's Beam 86 proof 100 month old decanter bourbon for those who stuck it out til midnight. . Loved the SAOS rye and the Beam most. Love all MGP rye, and love the butterscotchy goodness of 70's bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.