What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had some of the BT bourbon cream over ice last night and really enjoyed it. Spiked it with some BT and enjoyed it even more. Then I tried BT over ice and added the bourbon cream on top. Too much bourbon I think on that last one as it curdled the cream a bit. Still drinkable but a bit chewy. :)

16 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I had some of the BT bourbon cream over ice last night and really enjoyed it. Spiked it with some BT and enjoyed it even more. Then I tried BT over ice and added the bourbon cream on top. Too much bourbon I think on that last one as it curdled the cream a bit. Still drinkable but a bit chewy. :)

I was thinking about that first move.  Thanks for your commitment to the scientific method! 

The weather is getting cold out here, I need something strong to warm up, '15 GTS is perfect in this situation.

Cheers! 

Will

Picked up a couple of bottles of this little beauty last September during my visit to Four Roses.  Very elegant, fruity and refined.

IMG_4669.jpg  IMG_4670.jpg

Had a pour of Booker's 25th. I have a bit of a cold and was thinking I needed something to power through that. Unfortunately the cold won and the pour tasted bland, not like I'm used to with this beast. Wasted pour

6 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Picked up a couple of bottles of this little beauty last September during my visit to Four Roses.  Very elegant, fruity and refined.

IMG_4669.jpg  IMG_4670.jpg

Very Nice!

A nice pour of Elijah Craig 12 Yr. Old Barrel Proof (Batch 6) (140.2 Proof). Nice Sweetness!

IMG_0594_zpsdnhiiazj.jpg

Having a glass of a KC store select by Wine Merchants. I was not very impressed by this one. It's not bad, just not what I was expecting for $37.

12 hours ago, Charlutz said:

LOL at this and Steve's comment just below it. 

Tonight, KC 9yr.

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

Happy Birthday to both of you as well!

On 12/29/2016 at 9:12 PM, Thig said:

Celebrated my 60th birthday 12/27 so happy birthday to us Christmas babies.

Happy birthday, I know the feeling of being a Christmas baby as well <_<, started off the night with a Willett old fashioned. Now enjoying Highwest Campfire, love that whiskey!

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Had a pour of Booker's 25th. I have a bit of a cold and was thinking I needed something to power through that. Unfortunately the cold won and the pour tasted bland, not like I'm used to with this beast. Wasted pour

Maybe it didn't meet your taste needs.  But, did it make you feel better?  If so, then it might not have been totally wasted.  ;)

Last evening, ECBP Batch 3. Tonight, ECBP Batch 9. As I determined previously, the winner between the two of these is quite clear. Batch 9 is noticeably better to my taste. Batch 9 is simply more dialed in--more complex, more flavor, more sweetness. Batch 3 is heavy on the molasses. I am glad I have several more of the more recent batches around.

My go to for last week: Blend of 80% OWA and 20% RR single barrel rye. Absolutely perfect for my palate. 

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

. . . Tonight, KC 9yr.

THEN, I saw Rich's post RE: SB HHSS #2 of which I have only an inch or so left and got depressed.  So, I turned on MICH vs. FLA ST (with the sound off so neither the Mich Fight Song nor the Fla St tomahawk chant stick in my head for the next four days) and poured some KC NAS which has shown up here.

Great game.   Not bad bourbon.

12 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

The weather is getting cold out here, I need something strong to warm up, '15 GTS is perfect in this situation.

Cheers! 

Will

GTS is good for all situations, but it goes down extra warm on a really cold day. I thought the '15 was a really good iteration of Stagg.

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Oh man.......in situations like these, you gotta do a test pour to see how things are working before you commit to the full pour.

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

SB HHSS #2 tonight after dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done good sir. I finished a bottle recently and have not yet worked up the gumption to open my second (and last) bottle.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THEN, I saw Rich's post RE: SB HHSS #2 of which I have only an inch or so left and got depressed.  So, I turned on MICH vs. FLA ST (with the sound off so neither the Mich Fight Song nor the Fla St tomahawk chant stick in my head for the next four days) and poured some KC NAS which has shown up here.

Great game.   Not bad bourbon.

Tell me more about this KC NAS. I'm well stocked on the age stated but need to know if I can slow down my consumption of it by mixing in the NAS. (Not actual mixing just to be clear, but alternating bottles)

Finished off the last of a bottle of OWA, then some HMCK BIB SB (that's too long!), and finishing off the night with some Willett Pot Still. Should have had these in reverse order. The Pot Still is like water after those.

Enjoying 1792 Full Proof private selections.  Much  better than the standard off the shelf Full Proof.  Compared the 1792 PS to WT Rare Breed RB-03 108 proof and the 1792 won out.  

4 hours ago, flahute said:

GTS is good for all situations, but it goes down extra warm on a really cold day. I thought the '15 was a really good iteration of Stagg.

Oh man.......in situations like these, you gotta do a test pour to see how things are working before you commit to the full pour.

Well done good sir. I finished a bottle recently and have not yet worked up the gumption to open my second (and last) bottle.

Tell me more about this KC NAS. I'm well stocked on the age stated but need to know if I can slow down my consumption of it by mixing in the NAS. (Not actual mixing just to be clear, but alternating bottles)

You're right, It's my second bottle of Stagg, the first one was the 2013 which was great but this one is perfection.

Cheers!

Will

It was a 1792 night as I'm still working on open bottles - finished a 1792FP which opened shelf space for the store pick I just got to replace it and continued my work on 1792 High Rye which since I hadn't had a pour in a couple of days allowed me to pick up the rye notes I was missing earlier

work - a thankless job but we all have our crosses to bear... :) 

Last Night's roll call: OFSig -- both from my old and newer bottles, when the Hawks were ahead of the 'Canes; Baby Saz, when the Hawks blew the lead; Crown Barrel Select to soften the blow; Canadian Club Classic 12 to wallow in defeat and 'cause I wanted more pancakes and syrup before zzzzzzzz.....

The older bottle of OFSig continues to be an all time fave.  May have to make one last purchase this year and go get a 1920, as folks say it has a similar profile to the Olde Sig.

11 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

So, I turned on MICH vs. FLA ST (with the sound off so neither the Mich Fight Song nor the Fla St tomahawk chant stick in my head for the next four days)

That's funny.  Still, neither are as bad as Oklahoma's, they play their damn Boomer Sooner song after every single f'n play. 

I was watching tv in bed last night with a pour of SAOSSB. It's a 9 yo 122 proof barrel that I've liked ok, but not better than that. It has no depth or complexity, just a lot of tobacco and spice.  

I'm trying to kill the bottle. I added a little water to it and it opened up some. I've done that before. I fell asleep with about an oz left in the glass.

Woke up this morning and didn't feel like getting out of bed so turned on Game of Thrones, which made it feel like Sunday night and an appropriate time for a whiskey. I wrestled with the idea a bit but was catching wafts of the whiskey and decided to work on the glass. It was really nice! Not as harsh as usual and along with the wood, tobacco and spice, I actually caught some caramel and vanilla to smooth it out. Question is whether it was the water, air time or time of day. More research is definitely needed but not sure how many mornings I can have a bourbon before 8a. Is there an enabler in the house? Special Reserve? :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.