What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spoiler

Not a purchase but my sister and her partner came through for me big time with a crazy Christmas gift of this nice couple of bottles. They have a friend in New Orleans who works for a liquor distributor. I am floored. 

IMG_2515.JPG

Edited by Charlutz

Got a Four Roses Private Selection that was picked by the state of New Hampshire for Christmas. Thankfully my parents paid attention to my not-so-subtle hint that it would be a good gift to get for me.

1225161326.jpg

1225161327.jpg

Never tried Noah's Mill before and found one that looks old. It says 

Symbol of Quality -DSP-KY-78

Batch QBC N 12-26

I paid $43.99.  

Not really a purchase, but family gave me a Booker's Toggie's Invitation to me for Christmas.  I had handed it to them recently and said this would be great.  Looking forward to opening this soon.

My lovely sister gave me a bottle of WT101, gonna be doing a sbs of WTKS and WT101 in the near future.  It was a good Christmas, I hope it was good for everybody else. As John Lennon would say, Happy Christmas. 

On 12/24/2016 at 7:23 PM, Acs2653 said:

Got a bottle of 1792 today. Never had it before and reviews were positive. I found it quite good but it is a bit oily. I didn't mind it at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1792 is one of my favorites.  If you find any private select single barrels don't hesitate. Near perfect in my mind in the $25-30 range.

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

Christmas gifts vs. purchased but still a good haul.

20161225_121326_crop_902x660.jpg

Very Nice!

20 hours ago, Charlutz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not a purchase but my sister and her partner came through for me big time with a crazy Christmas gift of this nice couple of bottles. They have a friend in New Orleans who works for a liquor distributor. I am floored. 

IMG_2515.JPG

Awesome!

20 hours ago, VT Mike said:

Got a Four Roses Private Selection that was picked by the state of New Hampshire for Christmas. Thankfully my parents paid attention to my not-so-subtle hint that it would be a good gift to get for me.

1225161326.jpg

1225161327.jpg

Very Nice!

Picked up a SAOS 11 year at 52.1%. I really like these lower proof SAOS single barrels — they somehow taste older than 10 or 11 years. Not sure why that is.

I was given by my brother and his wife a bottle of Woodford specially selected by Big Red.

I haven't had any Woodford in a long time.  I wonder how this will differ from the regular version?

Anyway, a nice gift, I can't wait to try it.

I went on a spree Christmas eve, and picked up some Walthen's, MMCS, Teeling Single Grain, Forty Creek, and Nicholson 1943 100 pr. 

2x KC 9yr. At $23. Not a KC fan but lots of guests are. Figure was a good price to pick them up at as they are going nas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Finally found some ECBP way out in the west burbs.  Guy was asking 79.99 and I winced as nicely as i could, walked around, talked about all kinds of other bottles.  Started to walk and he offered the ECBP at 69.99, so I threw down for it.  

Can't wait to taste it after reading the many raves here.    

Started to walk and he offered the ECBP at 69.99, so I threw down for it.  

I would be a buyer at 69.99, I have paid more for less. Great bourbon.

2 hours ago, musekatcher said:

I went on a spree Christmas eve, and picked up some Walthen's, MMCS, Teeling Single Grain, Forty Creek, and Nicholson 1943 100 pr. 

I think Nicholson 1843 is under appreciated here. It's a fantastic wheater for the price and I think it blows away WSR and VOB BIB for its price point. Unfortunately most people think I'm crazy for this.  

6 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I think Nicholson 1843 is under appreciated here. It's a fantastic wheater for the price and I think it blows away WSR and VOB BIB for its price point. Unfortunately most people think I'm crazy for this.  

I think your palate/preference is different than many here; that's all.    If DN1843 hits your sweet spot; GREAT!   It is then a bargain for a Bourbon you really like.   Me?   I'm very underwhelmed by it, especially during the last year-plus.   To me the quality has dropped since the label changed.    I do find it quite useful for vatting, however.

Bakers...never had it before.

Edited by Jamie76
Meant to put original post in rye forum.

11 minutes ago, Jamie76 said:

Bakers...never had it before.

I really like Bakers. It would be a regular rotation favorite around $40. Unfortunately,  it typically costs in the mid to upper $40s in Indy. I try to pick it up on sale.  I prefer it over Bookers and about the same as KCSB.

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

Finally found some ECBP way out in the west burbs.  Guy was asking 79.99 and I winced as nicely as i could, walked around, talked about all kinds of other bottles.  Started to walk and he offered the ECBP at 69.99, so I threw down for it.  

A little higher than MSRP. However,  well worth it if it is difficult to find in your area. It was nice that he dropped the price. That's when I would have been tempted to offer him a taste if the store wasn't crowded. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

14 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

The "under appreciated here" has other explanations than just taste. Until recently not many had the chance to buy or taste as it was hardly distributed beyond the St. Louis area. Luxco is now paying it more attention and refreshed the brand with new labels and wider distribution but all still very new.

But also,  for years they ran labels that lied. Saying it was distilled at KY DSP 16 long after it was possible to have been is not something easily forgiven by bourbon nerds. Matter of fact a commenter on Cowdery's blog says the new label continues in violation with how 100 proof is labelled on it. I won't buy it because of the old label deception as small as a brand as it was. 

Great posts guys, hope you had a great holiday and great NY!  The Stagg and Michter's were Christmas gifts from a good friend and family member.  Need to finish off a couple mid - low bottles before I crack these fellas open. 

IMG_2165_zpsssotm3ce.jpg

49 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Yeah WSR is decent, but nothing special imo.  Some guy who works @ a local liquor store seems to think it's the holy grail of Bourbon, I was kind of just scratching my head <_<.  I like it but I'd prefer OWA or MM Cask vs it when it comes to wheaters, heck even Larceny.  I'll still pick up a bottle of WSR though when I see it because it's kind of hit or miss around here.  I'd really love to find a bottle of WLW12 though which I still have not had.

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

Great posts guys, hope you had a great holiday and great NY!  The Stagg and Michter's were Christmas gifts from a good friend and family member.  Need to finish off a couple mid - low bottles before I crack these fellas open. 

IMG_2165_zpsssotm3ce.jpg

Really wish we could get SAOS around here.  TW had the regular 7 YO bottle, but those days are long gone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.