What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All, found an interesting bottling at a local store today:  Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, barrel finish select, selected by the master distiller.  Anyone see this bottling before?  Just cracked it open, and will post some notes, but seems similar to other Woodford offerings.  The store also got a store select Woodford Reserve, which I might have to pick up, since I haven't seen a store select for a long time---if ever.

Not the biggest Woodford fan, but had to pick it up.

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8489.JPG

I believe that's just a redesigned bottle of WRDO.  I noticed it recently at a store and couldn't find the usual bronze label bottle.

6 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

I believe that's just a redesigned bottle of WRDO.  I noticed it recently at a store and couldn't find the usual bronze label bottle.

Thanks, for the info.  Perhaps it was the "Barrel Finish Select" throwing me off.  Anyways, it's my first purchased bottle of Double Oaked, it's a smooth sipper, for lack of a better description.  I've had it before at tastings, but never pulled the trigger.

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Some people use Glencairns, others rocks glasses.  Do you use that Minions cup in the background?

Ha. Nice catch! My niece was visiting for Christmas and we hadn't put it away. I may need to try it now!

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Some people use Glencairns, others rocks glasses.  Do you use that Minions cup in the background?

Eagle eye!!!! Hilarious!

Picked up the new Booker's release, 2016-06 -- Noe Hard Times, 127.8 proof, 6 years, 10 months and 1 day.

My Costco (Henderson, NV) finally got some in -- was very jealous of others who were able to get some Booker's from their Costco.

Price $48.00 + tax.

Happy holidays to all!  Really trying to keep my hands in my pockets after completing an inventory of unopened bottles. But my friendly whiskey manager offered this and I could not refuse. New look packaging is attractive. Juice is a 12 YO private selection. Got a cold so will hold off opening this until the taste buds come back on line.  Cheers to a great 2017!

IMG_1423.JPG

On 12/30/2016 at 9:36 AM, MTNBourbon said:

How is this? Can you compare it to anything out there now?

I love AAA but it's difficult to find in FL.  As for similarities to other bourbons, I can't really come up with anything to compare it to.  From my palate's perspective, it's slightly sweet with a pleasant finish...also @ $25/1.75 its a no brainer to buy it when I see it. 

Really wish I had the opportunity to try the older 10 year AAA (now extinct---except only to be found in bunkers of those lucky enough to stash a few).

33 minutes ago, Redslayer said:

I love AAA but it's difficult to find in FL.  As for similarities to other bourbons, I can't really come up with anything to compare it to.  From my palate's perspective, it's slightly sweet with a pleasant finish...also @ $25/1.75 its a no brainer to buy it when I see it. 

Really wish I had the opportunity to try the older 10 year AAA (now extinct---except only to be found in bunkers of those lucky enough to stash a few).

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Happy holidays to all!  Really trying to keep my hands in my pockets after completing an inventory of unopened bottles. But my friendly whiskey manager offered this and I could not refuse. New look packaging is attractive. Juice is a 12 YO private selection. Got a cold so will hold off opening this until the taste buds come back on line.  Cheers to a great 2017!

IMG_1423.JPG

Very nice. I still have not bought any of the new label stuff.

2 hours ago, El Vino said:

IMG_1423.JPG

Does this PS say 12 years on it anywhere or is that what the store said? I'd think with these store selections they'd want to put an age statement on there.

12 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Does this PS say 12 years on it anywhere or is that what the store said? I'd think with these store selections they'd want to put an age statement on there.

Whiskey manager (and the person who picked the barrel) told me it was 12 YO.  Apparently HH offered only a few of these private barrels and they let him go first.  He tasted blind and chose the barrel by taste. He only found out later that it was the only 12 YO whiskey among the samples provided.  No age statement on label.

Edited by El Vino

Whiskey manager (and the person who picked the barrel) told me it was 12 YO.  Apparently HH offered only a few of these private barrels and they let him go first.  He tasted blind and chose the barrel by taste. He only found out later that it was the only 12 YO whiskey among the samples provided.  No age statement on label.

That's strange. My local store got two barrels in, one 11 year and one 9 year. They show the warehouse, floor and year barreled on the label.

659a70c8892b9c564bcb4868505b7a21.jpg

18c15514c1f03a92f6df33f03d56e3ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No information of that type on the label, just what I learned in conversation.  I'm guessing the buyer has the option regarding how much information to disclose in print on the label.

1 hour ago, MarkM said:

That's strange. My local store got two barrels in, one 11 year and one 9 year. They show the warehouse, floor and year barreled on the label.

659a70c8892b9c564bcb4868505b7a21.jpg

18c15514c1f03a92f6df33f03d56e3ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is put on a PS label is up to the selector.  You can be product specific, whimsical with an "interesting" name for the bottling, or almost anything in between.  I've heard of some lines being crossed, though...:lol:

I picked up a 1792 SB, FRSB and a Whistle Pig Old Word Cask (sorry, still trying to get the abbreviations down).

Picked up 4x OGD114 and a Bulleit rye. I had kept passing on the 114 bottles I've seen even with them at $17.99 but I figure they will be gone one of these days and would regret having missed them

48 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Picked up 4x OGD114 and a Bulleit rye. I had kept passing on the 114 bottles I've seen even with them at $17.99 but I figure they will be gone one of these days and would regret having missed them

I bought 10 @ $26, I wouldve bought 20 at your price! that's almost stealing it!

2 hours ago, JTaylor said:

IMG_1417.JPG

I remember that center cut batch being especially good. I have one left........

5 hours ago, robertckim said:

is that booker's set a new release?

I'm not sure... the bottles are 2015-2, 3, 5, 6. Not sure why it's marked 2016 or why they'd leave out #1 & #4. Anyone?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.