What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Golzee said:

Family size Old Forester 86 proof on clearance for $25.  It is the old style diamond label, so I figured what the hell.  I recently tried the 86 proof and thought it was good for what it was.  Figured the older label might be better.

Interested in how it tastes.  I left behind quite a few of the older 86 proofs yesterday while scooping up a few handles of older OF Sigs...  

FWIW, the older OFSigs taste / look markedly better to me than the newest bottling.  The basic flavor profile is similar -- but, the older ones are richer.  Less heat on entry and longer, sweeter finish...

Found an Old Forester 1920 for $55.  I'd prefer to pay closer to $50, but it's not a terrible price.  I've been craving the Old Fo' profile for awhile, so hopefully this scratches the itch.  Old Forester Signature is $30 here, which is a bit higher than I think it goes for elsewhere, so hopefully I don't regret spending the extra money on the 1920.

Found a cache of 9.5ish year 2005 Evan Williams Single Barrel for $30.  Again, higher than I'm used to paying, but if I end up liking this particular barrel I could see putting another one away.

18 hours ago, MarkM said:

Where abouts in MI do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lansing area in Okemos. Pretty slim pickings around here.

While a few here are hating on Beam, I picked up a 13 year old, PS, KCSB today. 

I'm just trying to make lemonade, while I can.  :)

What Beam has done is business, they screwed up, but, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.  With that said, I picked up a JB BIB for $17.99 today.  They still offer products I like at an affordable price.

Took a chance on a 750 of JB Double Oak today for $27. My first try of any of the double oaked/double aged/double barreled offerings. Only one pour so far and it aint bad, but I'd rather pay the same price for a liter of OGD BiB.

1792 High Rye. It was the only one I'd ever seen in the wild and the only one on the shelf. It was grouped with the rye and not with the bourbon. $31.99+tax

1 hour ago, Golzee said:

What Beam has done is business, they screwed up, but, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.  With that said, I picked up a JB BIB for $17.99 today.  They still offer products I like at an affordable price.

Agree...and while the shelves are cleared of pretty much anything BT has in the lineup (some more than others), I'm not going to hate on Beam too badly right now. 

I've been picking up private selections of KCSB's, all between 9 to 13 years old, for anywhere between $32.99 and $42.99.  When they no longer exist, I'll move on to something else (or drink myself blind).  :lol:

34 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Agree...and while the shelves are cleared of pretty much anything BT has in the lineup (some more than others), I'm not going to hate on Beam too badly right now. 

I've been picking up private selections of KCSB's, all between 9 to 13 years old, for anywhere between $32.99 and $42.99.  When they no longer exist, I'll move on to something else (or drink myself blind).  :lol:

I have been spending a lot more time enjoying KCSBs and a lot less time hunting LEs.  I have learned to love what I can find.  There are some really awesome private selections out there right now.  I haven't seen any as old as 13 years in the Indy area but  I know Binny's has some around 12 years.  I might need to have a friend who frequently travels to Louisville mule a few back next time.

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have been spending a lot more time enjoying KCSBs and a lot less time hunting LEs.  I have learned to love what I can find.  There are some really awesome private selections out there right now.  I haven't seen any as old as 13 years in the Indy area but  I know Binny's has some around 12 years.  I might need to have a friend who frequently travels to Louisville mule a few back next time.

IIRC the recent Big Red picks were around 12 yrs.

5 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

IIRC the recent Big Red picks were around 12 yrs.

Hmmm...I didn't know that.  I might need to check them out then.  The most recent KCSBs I purchased were the store selections at V & T.  I picked those up before the holidays.

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

While a few here are hating on Beam, I picked up a 13 year old, PS, KCSB today. 

I'm just trying to make lemonade, while I can.  :)

Snag one of those for me!

New to the bourbon "scene"...saw Blanton's at a local place I buy beer from so I grabbed it since it is getting tough to find around here.

They also had Weller SR and Antique 107...so I grabbed one of each. I think I overpaid a bit though.

I adopted a bottle of Elijah Craig (NAS) Private Selection Single Barrel. I haven't seen them before and the price was right at around $25. I have to wait until happy hour tomorrow, 4 PM CST, before I try it out.

While searching for high-end sake at a small local, a case of RHF came in to the store.  Grabbed a couple since I haven't seen them in these here parts since before Thanksgiving, 2015.  Paid a premium price, but they're mine.  Yum!  ;)

Edited by GeeTen
Engrish corrections

7 hours ago, whiskey said:

New to the bourbon "scene"...saw Blanton's at a local place I buy beer from so I grabbed it since it is getting tough to find around here.

They also had Weller SR and Antique 107...so I grabbed one of each. I think I overpaid a bit though.

How much?  I don't always grab WSR but I rarely leave 107 on the shelf anymore.  Its gotta be stupid prices for me to not buy.

7 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I adopted a bottle of Elijah Craig (NAS) Private Selection Single Barrel. I haven't seen them before and the price was right at around $25. I have to wait until happy hour tomorrow, 4 PM CST, before I try it out.

EC barrel pick for 25 sounds like quite a deal!  Is it the new style bottle or old?  I haven't seen a barrel pick lately but I've been hearing about them.  What additional information do the labels include?

Not bourbon but I can't find the thread in the "other" forum: Found a copper penny NAS Bernheim for $30.  I've been meaning to replace the one I emptied recently.  Might as well have an older model to mix things up.

9 hours ago, namadio said:

How much?  I don't always grab WSR but I rarely leave 107 on the shelf anymore.  Its gotta be stupid prices for me to not buy.

$29 for WSR and $34 for 107.

Found the last bottle of EC12 in my town and at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, whiskey said:

$29 for WSR and $34 for 107.

I'd have passed on the WSR but probably would have sprung for the OWA..even though I already have about 15 bottles of it. 

21 hours ago, whiskey said:

You will love them both I think. Worth the (small) premium to taste em and see how much you like and/or love em.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.