What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought a bottle but won't be replacing it. There are a lot better for the price in my opinion.

I had been thinking about picking up a bottle of Cooper's Craft because I like some of Brown Foreman's bourbon and I appreciate that they own their own cooperage. Does Cooper's Craft remind you of any other bourbons?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Thig said:

I bought a bottle but won't be replacing it. There are a lot better for the price in my opinion.

^^^ This.

'Unimpressed' is a polite way to express it.

14 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Does Cooper's Craft remind you of any other bourbons?

A few that are traditionally much lower priced, and generally found on the low shelves.

Not wishing to pull anyone off of a taste experience that may turn out to be right up someone's alley; but it just struck me not special, nor very tasty.    Others may find something in it to like.    I didn't.

I had been thinking about picking up a bottle of Cooper's Craft because I like some of Brown Foreman's bourbon and I appreciate that they own their own cooperage. Does Cooper's Craft remind you of any other bourbons?

It's hard to say, maybe the basic Woodford Reserve which I don't care for either. I just thought it was thin with no finish and even a little bitter . You may like it and at the price not a lot is wasted if you don't.

It reminds me of Old Ezra 7 yr. That's probably not much of a compliment since OE7 is considerably cheaper but I actually enjoy the flavor. I can coax some nice oak out of it and thought it was a decent pour neat. It mixes with coke nicely as well.  I do seem to have a higher opinion of it than just about everybody I know. 

I really didn't like Cooper's Craft at all.  Indeed, I found it thin, bitter, and lacking in every category.  To my tastes, it was in profile similar to a young craft distillate aged in small 15 gal barrels.  Which in other words...not good.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I really didn't like Cooper's Craft at all.  Indeed, I found it thin, bitter, and lacking in every category.  To my tastes, it was in profile similar to a young craft distillate aged in small 15 gal barrels.  

Those usually cost more than $28.99 per 750. 

Edited by JoeTerp

32 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Those usually cost more than $28.99 per 750. 

Heehee.  So, there IS a silver lining to it, then!   :lol:

Just returned from a mini-Winter getaway to Southwest Florida and the Keys.  Only thing I found that was in-obtainable in my area was a bottle (750ml) of Willets Pot Still.

Found it in three different locations (Sanibel, Key West, and Marathon), but purchased it in Marathon for $40 (tax not included).  Key West pricing was closer to $70, so it was

a "no buy" for me in KW.

Picked up three I've not tried yet...
IMG_1497.thumb.JPG.c942933d58f95e2bbb5b73700227bf05.JPG

I've been tempted to buy a bottle of OF 1920, but it is more expensive than I like to pay. Let me know if you think it is twice as good as EW single barrel or Four Roses Single barrel as I can buy them here for about half the price of the OF 1920.

Our usual Friday afternoon pot luck bourbon buddy gathering saw one of our group contribute a bottle of Old Forester 1920. None of us had tried it before. It was the hit of the evening.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Bottles randomly arriving this evening were were Makers Mark 46, Larceny, OF 1920, and Evan Williams Single Barrel 2008.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  OF 1920 going on the acquire list.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:00 PM, Dgriffin said:

I have been curious about this one. Finally pulled the trigger today and I am glad I did.

pic.jpg

bought one to take to a friends b-day party friday night, but the bottle was different. $20 with a $3 coupon on the neck. for $17, I found it enjoyable.

A 1.75L each of BT and EW 100 BIB.  Both are on sale this month.

Edited by Journeyman

Cuz I really needed another SAOS SB..... :)

Darn it if I didn't find a barrel I don't have hidden at the back of the shelf.

And I've been looking @ These cherries for a year now.  Finally pulled the trigger.

IMAG1807.jpg

Stopped by one of my favorite independent stores for the first time since the holidays. It was a fruitful trip as they had RY10yrSiB, OWA, and ETL on hand. One of each came home with me.

Absolutely, positively nothing (since liquor store are closed on Sundays in Tennessee!)   :wacko:

Had a weekend road trip and of course had to make some time for a little hunting.  Snagged a few ...
58a1197e6bd5c_IMG_1047_Copy(1280x960).thumb.jpg.1c56fa70c1d0c84f33106956938925d1.jpg

Are the pricetags what you actually paid for the EC12 and the EW Single Barrel? If so, those were steals.

2 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Are the pricetags what you actually paid for the EC12 and the EW Single Barrel? If so, those were steals.

Yes.  I have plenty of EC12 with the red 12.  But these 2 were from a previous label style (full oval shaped versus the more recent shape with the flat bottom).  I'm not sure of their vintage yet.

On 1/30/2017 at 9:40 AM, MTNBourbon said:

Very nice. What do ya think of it?

I enjoyed it. Especially the 'finish' of EC: it really sits in your belly, and you get the whole 'warmth' of the bourbon. I hadn't really understood what was meant by finish till I tried EC

On another note, I hadn't tried EC 12 as I got into bourbon only after the NAS was introduced, but the NAS was certainly enjoyable. I intend to pick up another bottle whenever I polish off this one. 

4 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Nice. Ive been grabbing 2007 EWSB whenever I see it. I really like it better than the previous few years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.