What Bottle Did You Open Today? Winter 2016/2017

RocAFella1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

46 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

OF1920.  Not a fan of OF but gave this one a try.  Getting lots of acetone on the nose and a bitter finish which is exactly why I don't like OF in general.  Oh well, I also scored a 2014 GTS and 2015 THH my local manager had been hiding in his office, which more than makes up for the OF.

Weird. I get that on some OF products but not this one. Well, at least you scored some BTAC

Adding water to the OF1920 fixes a lot of my issues with it.  Not so bad now.

I was going to say, in response to your first post on the OF1920, that it is a bit fickle and requires some TLC (read, airtime). I was less than impressed with my first pour right out of the bottle, but coming back to it after a couple of weeks, it was significantly better. Adding water is fine, but I'd also suggest letting it alone for a couple of weeks and coming back to it, then letting it sit in your glass for a bit after pouring. I think you'll be rewarded for your patience with the 1920.

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I was going to say, in response to your first post on the OF1920, that it is a bit fickle and requires some TLC (read, airtime). I was less than impressed with my first pour right out of the bottle, but coming back to it after a couple of weeks, it was significantly better. Adding water is fine, but I'd also suggest letting it alone for a couple of weeks and coming back to it, then letting it sit in your glass for a bit after pouring. I think you'll be rewarded for your patience with the 1920.

I have only had one bottle.  I agree that it has improved after being open a little while.  I have had mine open for about 3 months and just sampled it again over the weekend.  It was pretty good.  I also hit it with a small cube or two to take the proof down to around 105.  This appears to open it it up a little too.

Pikesvile. What a nose of caramel and vanilla. So smooth, can't believe its 110. My new favorite rye. Had it SBS with Rittenhouse. While Ritt is a great deal at $21, I will find it hard not to get a couple more bottles of Pike at $45. This bottle comes off as more of a bourbon then a rye. 

Edited by Bbstout

ER10 private selection. I'm sure my opinion will change a little as I work my way through the bottle, but it's looking promising. Lots of oak, cherry, and spice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Pikesvile. What a nose of caramel and vanilla. So smooth, can't believe its 110. My new favorite rye. Had it SBS with Rittenhouse. While Ritt is a great deal at $21, I will find it hard not to get a couple more bottles of Pike at $45. This bottle comes off as more of a bourbon then a rye. 

Can't wait to taste this guy.  Unfortunately, I gotta lose this cold, or I'm not gonna be able to give it its due!  Thanks for your review though.  This one is next up for me to go from "bunkered" to "open."

19 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have only had one bottle.  I agree that it has improved after being open a little while.  I have had mine open for about 3 months and just sampled it again over the weekend.  It was pretty good.  I also hit it with a small cube or two to take the proof down to around 105.  This appears to open it it up a little too.

Thanks guys, I've put this one away and will revisit in a few weeks/months.

21 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Ha,ha... same thing I opened tonight... in the LS parking lot! Went right back in and bought another bottle since they were on sale for $35!

• 2 weeks later...

I cracked open a bottle of EWSB I bought several weex ago.    (2008 Vintage, laid down on April 23, 2008 Barrel#29)

I wasn't too surprised to find it somewhat younger in character than the Vintages of a few years ago; but was pleasantly surprised to find it quite enjoyable.

I was looking for a mild pour, as I'm still fighting the remains of a head cold, and thought a bit of lower proof Bourbon used in a medicinal way might be of benefit. 

At 86.6 proof, the EWSB's are the mildest stuff I have on the shelf at the moment.     This one was very much HH in character, being sweeter than most, with a minty tang, and a nice overall palate for such a low-proof offering.     I am not disappointed in it being of a younger ilk, and actually may see if I can find another bottle from this or a near-numbered barrel.

I opened my first bottle of ETL, and I am having a nice pour before dinner.

When I think of this being BT mashbill#2, high-rye (~12-15%), there is no spiciness on the finish at all.

Maybe a little wood, or a bit of leather, but overall really pleasant.  The nose on this not as big as some other

bottles I have tasted, but maybe that will change as I have just opened it up.  This is a great sipper. 

Overall, I am really glad to have this bottle and will continue to keep my eyes open for more bottles of

ETL (as long as they come at a reasonable cost.  I paid $37 OOD with tax).

2 hours ago, Richdel said:

I opened my first bottle of ETL, and I am having a nice pour before dinner.

When I think of this being BT mashbill#2, high-rye (~12-15%), there is no spiciness on the finish at all.

Maybe a little wood, or a bit of leather, but overall really pleasant.  The nose on this not as big as some other

bottles I have tasted, but maybe that will change as I have just opened it up.  This is a great sipper. 

Overall, I am really glad to have this bottle and will continue to keep my eyes open for more bottles of

ETL (as long as they come at a reasonable cost.  I paid $37 OOD with tax).

Though BT calls that the high rye mashbill, it's only in comparison to the other lower version. 12-15% is considered low rye when compared to other producers.

Popped open a bottle of Old Grand BIB. It's nice to have old reliable back on the shelf as my every day drinker.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Though BT calls that the high rye mashbill, it's only in comparison to the other lower version. 12-15% is considered low rye when compared to other producers.

Followed up that excellent pour of ETL with a pour of EWSB2004.  Decided to stay below the 100 proof line last night.

The EWSB2004 is definitely not as interesting as ETL, to me.  So after the EWSB2004 was finished, had to have a small

pour of ETL to make sure what I remembered tasting earlier was actually what I tasted, and it was.  ETL now goes on my everchanging

Mt. Rushmore of bourbons.    1. ETL, 2. FRSiB, 3. W12. and 4. OF1920.

Opened a SAOS 10 50% last night.  As usual it's an easy drinker similar to 4R E.  Put 4 oz. in my new solera bottle

Last night I opened a bottle of John J. Bowman SiB.  I enjoyed it for the most part, but there was a strange mid palate flavor that I can't place my finger on.  Off balance leather or something.  Going to let the bottle rest for a week and revisit it.

Last night (Saturday) Weller SR, Henry McKenna 10, and KC Single Barrel.  My first taste of Weller . . . and I'm hooked.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

Not my bottle opening but a buddy opened a Lot B for us tonight in honor of the Dirty Birds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opened a bottle of EW BIB.  It's the first time I tried it and really like it.  The handles are on sale this month, so I will probably grab one for the bunker.

My neighbor gave me this bottle of Eagle Rare when he came over for the Super Bowl party. Very nice!
eb3458d58134e7aec6c9675c17e6e77f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Took and opened a HMK10BIB for the neighbors Super Bowl party - we drank through a good bit of it last night.  

Tonight I opened my first bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 year.
543023e2f568a6349f879c66ae584174.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.