What Bottle Did You Open Today? Winter 2016/2017

RocAFella1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Smooth Ambler
Old Scout
Single Barrel
10 years
50.9%

Quite simply, this bourbon is the best I've ever tasted. It almost made me cry. I'm picking up a case tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Surprised they were able to swing you a case, they discontinued the single barrels recently right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

Surprised they were able to swing you a case, they discontinued the single barrels recently right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They discontinued their barrel selection programs. The are still doing single barrels though. 

17 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Smooth Ambler
Old Scout
Single Barrel
10 years
50.9%

Quite simply, this bourbon is the best I've ever tasted. It almost made me cry. I'm picking up a case tomorrow.

Barrel NO: 3822?

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get them to stay sideways like that...

Had 15 minutes before my eye appointment Thursday so I stopped in the liquor store nearby, money burning a hole in my pocket so, having not found what I really was looking for, settled on a 2009 EWSB.  Barreled 7-30-09, barrel 235, Bottled 12-21-16, so just under 7.5 years old.  86 proof, soft and easy drinking but nothing memorable and for $27 I would look elsewhere next time.

had some tonight... Good stuff

It went down amazingly easy last night...

16 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

You got it. 3822.

Glad to hear its good.  Just checked and found one of these in my stash.

Smooth Ambler
Old Scout
Single Barrel
10 years
50.9%

Can I ask how much you paid saw a store select of this at $56, thinking about getting one.

57 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Can I ask how much you paid saw a store select of this at $56, thinking about getting one.

56 for a store pick seems fair. Will the store allow you to try it first?

Edited by bourbon4all

We get this really cheap compared to other states. I don't know why. It is $53 at my local place, and $47 at the Wine and Cheese Place.

56 for a store pick seems fair. Will the store allow you to try it first?

Doubtful but I'll ask.

Just opening this now and taking a sip as i post...

For anyone else in the UK, this is currently available at Marks and Spencer for £24 (usually £27) right next to the Elijah Craig 12! [emoji1] 680fa5524d152c106272fe19172631c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cracked open a 'new' bottle of Old Grand Dad 114.    I was surprised (NOT!) at how delicious it was.     Decided to have a second pour, upon further reflection.   Still Delicious!!!

53 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Cracked open a 'new' bottle of Old Grand Dad 114.    I was surprised (NOT!) at how delicious it was.     Decided to have a second pour, upon further reflection.   Still Delicious!!!

are they restocking the 114 in MI? I havent seen any since the 'great load up of '16'

Decided it was finally time to open up a bottle of Rhetoric 20yr this evening with friends. The poor bottle had gotten lost at the back of the cabinet, figured it was time to let it get some fresh air. 

12 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

are they restocking the 114 in MI? I havent seen any since the 'great load up of '16'

My experience was that it never really disappeared near me.     There were a few bare shelf locations for a week or maybe two; but, that can be explained by delivery lag.    Anyway, plenty around now; though not the bargain it once was.     Back in the day, it was priced only a buck or two over OGD BIB.     Now it's widely priced around $10 more, and that includes OGD BIB price rise of about 4 or 5 bux.    I've seen it at $39.99!     Sad to say; but that still isn't actually overpriced for the distillate contained in the bottle.... just a shock for those of us who remember the $23-$25 days (not all that long ago).

^Thats crazy $40 for OGD114. It's not everywhere but still can be found somewhat easily for $22 to $25 a bottle here for OGD114. Bought some recently didn't like it as first but it's growing on me.

On 3/10/2017 at 3:58 AM, Masset1982 said:

I don't like it, I LOVE IT. This is some quality stuff right here. This is my first bottle, i'm already in love with it, the problem, it's very hard to find in Europe, i've got it online, it was available on the website for less than 2 minutes. I was lucky enough to get another one on monday, but same thing, after 1 minutes, SOLD OUT. Now i have two of this batch and i'm a very happy man (lucky man too)

What about the quality between batches, they are all great or some are better than others ??

Masset, I'm glad you like it.  I've only tried 2 batches and they are both good.  So my experience is limited.  Enjoy!!

On 3/10/2017 at 0:45 PM, Masset1982 said:

You're right, it's not bold as ECBP or Stagg jr, but it's elegant and well done. I'm also a big fan of Stagg, father and son, but sometimes I need something flavorful and tasty but not in your face tasty, just an easy high proof sipping bourbon, and this one fit perfectly in this category. 

I could not have stated it better myself.  I am a big fan of the unique taste of Stagg Jr but it's not what I would call balanced.  I do find the CEHT BP more balanced and refined than StaggJr.  

Edited by Kepler
typo

Finally got around to opening the Elijah Craig BP batch 8 (139.8 pf) and still haven't quite finished the batch 5.  I'm slow.  I had forgotten the intensity of these.  Tasted it at bp, diluted to 105 pf, then to 90 pf.  I need to get my taste senses readjusted to high proofs again.  But at any proof, it is worth the fare.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.