What Bottle Did You Open Today? Winter 2016/2017

RocAFella1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have slowly been thinning the herd so I opened a bottle of HMcK10 that I have had for awhile.  Now, I remember why I stashed this bottle in the back of the cupboard.  I knew it was good but I forgot how good. I had bought one and then went back for a second because I liked it so well.  Sweet on entry, peppery and spicy mid palate with a nice long finish.  I am sure this barrel is long gone but I will check when I go back to the store.

Finally cracked the seal on the '16 OFBB. Did a SBS with OF 1920 and OF SiB. To me, the nose on the OFBB was heavy with nail polish remover so I couldn't pick much else out. I tasted a lot of oak and banana nut bread with undertones of maraschino cherries and a hint of musty leather with some black licorice on the finish. The three versions were very similar with the 1920 winning out. I think the higher proof helped push it past the BB flavor-wise. I liked them all but 1920 @ $59 and 115° in my mind just whooped the BB @ $94 and 97°… 

Disclaimer: All freshly opened bottles and I am just getting over a wicked cold so further tastings WILL be required. :D

Opened up a 'new' bottle of ECBP (136-pr).     I have several, and finished the most recent one to give up the ghost a couple weex ago, so.... Why wait?    I find this iteration to be a really nice balanced pour.    Not that any of the other ECBP's I've had are less than stellar.    This one just seems to shine for me.    Glad I have a few more backed up.

38 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Opened up a 'new' bottle of ECBP (136-pr).     I have several, and finished the most recent one to give up the ghost a couple weex ago, so.... Why wait?    I find this iteration to be a really nice balanced pour.    Not that any of the other ECBP's I've had are less than stellar.    This one just seems to shine for me.    Glad I have a few more backed up.

That batch did it for me too, Rich. Just so much flavor!

SA Contradiction just to be contrary - it's a blend, so . . .

13 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Finally cracked the seal on the '16 OFBB. Did a SBS with OF 1920 and OF SiB. 

I liked them all but 1920 @ $59 and 115° in my mind just whooped the BB @ $94 and 97°… 

SHHHHHH !!! 

no, no..... 1920 is still awful..... run away flippers, as fast as you can.  Nothing to see here.

Opened my newly acquired Old Charter 8 (year) and found it to be absolutely delicious. Like a really good Eagle Rare. It smelled fantastic from the second it went into the glass, no need at all to open up

Opened my newly acquired Old Charter 8 (year) and found it to be absolutely delicious. Like a really good Eagle Rare. It smelled fantastic from the second it went into the glass, no need at all to open up

I opened a bottle of the same this evening. Light proof but plenty of flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

db16e22ed7e300b83d52a88bfa6d7f80.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How is it? Almost picked this exact bottle up. I just open a preferred select 'AN' "oesk" this evening. Spicy, robust and up front.

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

SHHHHHH !!! 

no, no..... 1920 is still awful..... run away flippers, as fast as you can.  Nothing to see here.

Haha! ^This right here. 

Tell no one.

How is it? Almost picked this exact bottle up. I just open a preferred select 'AN' "oesk" this evening. Spicy, robust and up front.

I love it, especially at Costco price! This is spicy and up front too. Synchronicity. I send you a toast from Lexington.

58 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I love it, especially at Costco price! This is spicy and up front too. Synchronicity. I send you a toast from Lexington.

Thank, cheers to you as well, would love to find that at our local Costco, but I've got my eyes set on that last "ME" barrel.

Cracked open a Blanton's tonight. Hadn't had any in quite a while. Was a nice pour with interesting layers of flavors. The more I tried it the more little things I would pick up. Can't always put my finger on a name for those things. The proof and "smoothness" were the only things I would quibble over. I wish it had a few more proof points which would help with depth of flavor. I followed it up with some ETL. I would be hard pressed to tell these two apart if they weren't tried so close together. The ETL had more vanilla on the nose and just the tiniest bit more harshness on the finish where Blanton's kept that smoothness.

Edit: I cracked open a new ER10 to try against these two as well. Stay in family but with the lower rye mashbill. It has more of "cooling mint" feel to the finish and definitely has that earthy mustiness (in a good way).

These were very small pours! It is Wednesday after all.  (Just in case the wife reads this)

For tonight the Blanton's wins on complexity, the ETL on nose, and ER10 for just overall preference of flavor.

20170308_221138-530x630.jpg

Edited by Clueby

E.H. Taylor Single Barrel tonight.  Forgot I had replaced one I had killed off.  Fantastic nose on this one.  Tasty, but I think it will improve with some air/time.

I opened up my first WT Diamond Anniversary, to celebrate a big weekend coming up in Vegas.  So far I quite like it.  Nice and mellow with a first rate nose, which is a bonus.

IMG_1054.JPG

On 3/8/2017 at 11:40 AM, Masset1982 said:

Just opened this bad boy.

Cheers! 

Will. 

IMG_8173.JPG

How do you like it so far?  The ones I've had were stellar.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

How do you like it so far?  The ones I've had were stellar.

I don't like it, I LOVE IT. This is some quality stuff right here. This is my first bottle, i'm already in love with it, the problem, it's very hard to find in Europe, i've got it online, it was available on the website for less than 2 minutes. I was lucky enough to get another one on monday, but same thing, after 1 minutes, SOLD OUT. Now i have two of this batch and i'm a very happy man (lucky man too)

What about the quality between batches, they are all great or some are better than others ??

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

I opened up my first WT Diamond Anniversary, to celebrate a big weekend coming up in Vegas.  So far I quite like it.  Nice and mellow with a first rate nose, which is a bonus.

IMG_1054.JPG

Seems like a great bottle, congrats ! 

7 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

I don't like it, I LOVE IT. This is some quality stuff right here. This is my first bottle, i'm already in love with it, the problem, it's very hard to find in Europe, i've got it online, it was available on the website for less than 2 minutes. I was lucky enough to get another one on monday, but same thing, after 1 minutes, SOLD OUT. Now i have two of this batch and i'm a very happy man (lucky man too)

What about the quality between batches, they are all great or some are better than others ??

I have found it to be pretty inconsistent.  Oh well, I prefer the Stagg Jr. profile anyway, as I think the EHTBP is thinner and less oak driven.  Hopefully, it (like Stagg Jr.) will get better (and more consistent) as they get deeper into the releases. 

59 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I have found it to be pretty inconsistent.  Oh well, I prefer the Stagg Jr. profile anyway, as I think the EHTBP is thinner and less oak driven.  Hopefully, it (like Stagg Jr.) will get better (and more consistent) as they get deeper into the releases. 

You're right, it's not bold as ECBP or Stagg jr, but it's elegant and well done. I'm also a big fan of Stagg, father and son, but sometimes I need something flavorful and tasty but not in your face tasty, just an easy high proof sipping bourbon, and this one fit perfectly in this category. 

Smooth Ambler
Old Scout
Single Barrel
10 years
50.9%

Quite simply, this bourbon is the best I've ever tasted. It almost made me cry. I'm picking up a case tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Smooth Ambler
Old Scout
Single Barrel
10 years
50.9%

Quite simply, this bourbon is the best I've ever tasted. It almost made me cry. I'm picking up a case tomorrow.

A case tomorrow? Damn, that must taste great indeed. I'm glad you found a bottle that tasted so great for you.

A case tomorrow? Damn, that must taste great indeed. I'm glad you found a bottle that tasted so great for you.

Just ordered 6 from the same store. I'll pick them up when they open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.