What Bottle Did You Open Today? Winter 2016/2017

RocAFella1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^Thats crazy $40 for OGD114. It's not everywhere but still can be found somewhat easily for $22 to $25 a bottle here for OGD114. Bought some recently didn't like it as first but it's growing on me.

I just poured myself some and the price tag on the top reads 19.99.

I never have been a fan. All hot and no taste for me. I have been having a change of opinion on some of my bottles, so I gave this another try. Still not a big fan. I like the BIBLE though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I like the BIBLE though.

Is the Old Grandad BIBLE the autocorrect version of BIB? [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Is the Old Grandad BIBLE the autocorrect version of BIB? emoji3.png

It's the version they serve in the dry counties.

I bought in some dry counties back in my youth... early experiences with bottle flippers before the Pappy craze.

I remember paying what seemed to be an arm and a leg for Rebel Yell, Old Fitz Prime, WT 101, and Kessler.

I just poured myself some and the price tag on the top reads 19.99.

I never have been a fan. All hot and no taste for me. I have been having a change of opinion on some of my bottles, so I gave this another try. Still not a big fan. I like the BIBLE though.

Thinking of OGD114, saw this not sure how accurate it is.

I admit I saw that after posting it, but thought it was funny enough to leave in there!

Tonight it was a bottle of Four Roses OBSQ. First couple of sips, I thought it was a little thin on the finish. Bust the further I got into it, it really started to open up and the finished lingered like a normal PS Four Roses. I doubt this bottle lasts long.

23 hours ago, Kepler said:

I could not have stated it better myself.  I am a big fan of the unique taste of Stagg Jr but it's not what I would call balanced.  I do find the CEHT BP more balanced and refined than StaggJr.  

Same thoughts here, Stagg jr is more like "in your face" , CEHTBP is more like a smooth well rounded barrel proof. I've only tasted batch 5, will pick up my second bottle tomorrow. I can't find the other batches unless I'm willing to pay more than €200, it not cheap here in Europe, I've paid €135 for a bottle of batch 5 and that's my limit for this one.

Cheers! 

After plowing, shoveling, and cleaning snow at work then home, cracked an OGD 114. Booyah!!!

Following the discussion of OC8 yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a handle  today for $19.97.  I had to crack it open when I got home.  At 80 proof there's a little left to be desired, but for the money I can't complain.  Fairly sweet profile with a little butterscotch. Bottle dated 2004.

IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.c973348802ac3fac0d3953b85747af46.JPG

6 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

Following the discussion of OC8 yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a handle  today for $19.97.  I had to crack it open when I got home.  At 80 proof there's a little left to be desired, but for the money I can't complain.  Fairly sweet profile with a little butterscotch. Bottle dated 2004.

Looks like a great buy to me - the proof is a little low but I've learned to appreciate it - at that price in case you couldn't already figure this out about me I would load up - they don't make it any longer and won't make it again

IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.c973348802ac3fac0d3953b85747af46.JPG

Wow, you found a 13 year old bottle on the shelf? Nice work!

Same thoughts here, Stagg jr is more like "in your face" , CEHTBP is more like a smooth well rounded barrel proof. I've only tasted batch 5, will pick up my second bottle tomorrow. I can't find the other batches unless I'm willing to pay more than €200, it not cheap here in Europe, I've paid €135 for a bottle of batch 5 and that's my limit for this one.

Cheers! 

I'm thinking pick a bottle of the standard CEHT and if it's any good will try to get some barrel proof. Saw something that the next barrel proof release is in May. Have a feeling I'm paying for packaging vs. ER10 that goes for about $5 cheaper.

I'm thinking pick a bottle of the standard CEHT and if it's any good will try to get some barrel proof. Saw something that the next barrel proof release is in May. Have a feeling I'm paying for packaging vs. ER10 that goes for about $5 cheaper.

The taste CEHT and ER10 are wildly different to my palate. ER has a mildew/mustiness that simply doesn't do it for me. Elmer T Lee has it too, but it is muted. I prefer CEHT over ER. YMMV

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Wow, you found a 13 year old bottle on the shelf? Nice work!

This particular store doesn't sell bourbon....they have some but nobody is interested.  I imagine they sell a lot of cognac and cheap vodka.  I've nearly bought all their old Austin Nichols WT101, and today I realized the WTKS they have is from 2006.  The turkeys are breeding in my bunker.  :lol:

This particular store doesn't sell bourbon....they have some but nobody is interested.  I imagine they sell a lot of cognac and cheap vodka.  I've nearly bought all their old Austin Nichols WT101, and today I realized the WTKS they have is from 2006.  The turkeys are breeding in my bunker.  [emoji38]

Lucky you. I'd love to find a stash of dusty WT.

The taste CEHT and ER10 are wildly different to my palate. ER has a mildew/mustiness that simply doesn't do it for me. Elmer T Lee has it too, but it is muted. I prefer CEHT over ER. YMMV

Well I got a bottle will check it out once my wife goes upstairs to snooze. I personally really like ER10.

Well I got a bottle will check it out once my wife goes upstairs to snooze. I personally really like ER10.

All of my friends love ER, but it has yet to grow on me.

Lucky you. I'd love to find a stash of dusty WT.

I found some for about $30 a fifth. Is it really worth it? I can get the new stuff for $20 a bottle.

I found some for about $30 a fifth. Is it really worth it? I can get the new stuff for $20 a bottle.

It depends on how old the bottle is of the WT. If you get a chance, post a photo of the bottles.

I opened a bottle of HW Son of Bourye I found this past weekend.  It was stuck behind some other HW bottles with a surprisingly low price.  I liked it.

Opened an OWA. Very nice by itself but also using some with the last of a bottle of W12 to try the SB(?) blend.

3 minutes ago, CaliER said:

Opened an OWA. Very nice by itself but also using some with the last of a bottle of W12 to try the SB(?) blend.

Be sure to let us know what you think of our blend. :D

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.