What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw my first bottle of Rabbit Hole today. An easy pass. Hard to believe it's a 2 yr old bourbon and on the shelf at a premium price

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

A store I frequent has always had numerous bottles of Pearce Lyons Reserve and Town Branch sitting on the shelf. I swear I have never seen a bottle of either one move. I go in tonight and both items were gone. Does someone know something I don't about those two or can liquor stores send back items that don't sell for an extended period of time?

Rules likely differ from state to state but here in Georgia sometimes a distributor will "buy back" something not moving, sometimes in order to sell something else new to the market.

Those new things probably won't move either...

Saw something relatively new today. Apparently a "light" whiskey but the source is unclear as it claims to be aged in Kentucky. Distilled between 160-190 proof (I would guess closer to 190) and allegedly aged for 11 years in used casks. High West has a Light Whiskey that is from MGP that is 14yo but presumably this is not the same. No clear indication of the source other than being labeled as being from Bardstown.

I was wondering if this might be left over Early Times that had been aged in used casks from B-F but as far as I know that came off the still at under 160 proof. Also the "master distiller" is Dave Scheurich who has a long association with Woodford. I don't doubt he has a long history with bourbon but as I understand it he was in the industry for a long time but as more of a facilities manager who oversaw the rebuilding of the Woodford distillery. So maybe more of a "master acquirer"?

Who else might have 11yo light whiskey lying about that they are willing to sell?

Mildly intrigued by the cask strength version (although it must have been aged in some really worn out barrels because it sure is light in color!) but at $60 0r so for the cask strength version I passed for the moment.

Boondock whiskey.JPG

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Saw something relatively new today. Apparently a "light" whiskey but the source is unclear as it claims to be aged in Kentucky. Distilled between 160-190 proof (I would guess closer to 190) and allegedly aged for 11 years in used casks. High West has a Light Whiskey that is from MGP that is 14yo but presumably this is not the same. No clear indication of the source other than being labeled as being from Bardstown.

I was wondering if this might be left over Early Times that had been aged in used casks from B-F but as far as I know that came off the still at under 160 proof. Also the "master distiller" is Dave Scheurich who has a long association with Woodford. I don't doubt he has a long history with bourbon but as I understand it he was in the industry for a long time but as more of a facilities manager who oversaw the rebuilding of the Woodford distillery. So maybe more of a "master acquirer"?

Who else might have 11yo light whiskey lying about that they are willing to sell?

Mildly intrigued by the cask strength version (although it must have been aged in some really worn out barrels because it sure is light in color!) but at $60 0r so for the cask strength version I passed for the moment.

Boondock whiskey.JPG

That sounds terrible, though I have never actually tasted a light whiskey. Not willing to take the plunge and buy a bottle, but I would be up for trying it. My expectations are pretty low.

I passed on several bottles of MNWD at retail. I am just not a big rye guy. 

If if anyone in Bay Area is interested, please feel free to PM me.

Does a pour count as a pass?

At the lobby bar tonight. Excited to see a bottle of VW 10yr and Lot B. Inquired about the price before ordering, at $100 per glass for the 10yr, it's a easy pass.

I'm guessing when the car show comes to town shortly, it will sell out.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, BFerguson said:

Does a pour count as a pass?

At the lobby bar tonight. Excited to see a bottle of VW 10yr and Lot B. Inquired about the price before ordering, at $100 per glass for the 10yr, it's a easy pass.

I'm guessing when the car show comes to town shortly, it will sell out.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh come on. Those car guys are smarter than that? <_<

Passed on 1792 Port <$40. It was priced ok for those that like it. I don't. I didn't pass on a few handles of WSR at $34 or that lone Baby Saz hanging out at retail.

I passed on a bottle of Barrell batch 9 for $90. I gave my dad a bottle of this for Christmas, and I had considered picking up another bottle for myself since it seems to be 13yo Dickel and I loved the 14yo Dickel single barrels I've had. I just couldn't pony up the $90+tax for it.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:00 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Boondock whiskey.JPG

I believe you're correct about Early Times - as far as I know the non-bourbon component is only not bourbon because it's aged in used barrels, so it should come off the still at <160 proof and therefore not be light whiskey.

Is it possible that BT did a light whiskey experiment that they decided to sell off?

Also, 'aged' in Kentucky could still mean it came from MGP but was bought and aged for some portion of its life south of the river, allowing them to put that on the label, right?

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

I believe you're correct about Early Times - as far as I know the non-bourbon component is only not bourbon because it's aged in used barrels, so it should come off the still at <160 proof and therefore not be light whiskey.

Is it possible that BT did a light whiskey experiment that they decided to sell off?

Also, 'aged' in Kentucky could still mean it came from MGP but was bought and aged for some portion of its life south of the river, allowing them to put that on the label, right?

Yes, it certainly seems like a possibility that they are "bending" the rules a bit by saying it that way. But if it claims a Bardstown, Kentucky address I think it would need the state of distillation on the label if different from Kentucky. I don't recall seeing that anywhere on the label. Not that there is any guarantee the TTB was insuring that the label was in full compliance with their own rules of course.

Not sure I am going to try it either way but a bit of a curiosity. If it were MGP that would presumably make it similar to the High West Light whiskey, but several years younger.

Saw a box of BT Wood Experiment today for $99.99. Still recovering from spending so much over the past few months that I had to pass.  

JD 150th, JD Sinatra, KC 2001 (it seems to be everywhere I am), some age stated KC, Michters SB (and BP) rye's.

Yamazaki 18 - $259 - not bourbon, but still havent seen this one in the wild... foolish to pass?

Edited by Jkersh

Saw ANOTHER Wild Turkey "Decades" on the shelf today at a different store here- $159 - still passed on it.

Saw Orphan Barrel Gifted Horse for the first time $52.99.  Did a quick Google and passed because of bad reviews.

9 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

Saw Orphan Barrel Gifted Horse for the first time $52.99.  Did a quick Google and passed because of bad reviews.

FWIW, which is next to nothing I'm guessing, I was pleasantly surprised with Gifted Horse, esp when diluted down to 100 proof. I expected to dislike it, but it was quite enjoyable.

39 minutes ago, Jkersh said:

Yamazaki 18 - $259 - not bourbon, but still havent seen this one in the wild... foolish to pass?

It very rare to find a Yamazaki in the states. But it's worthless you don't enjoy it.  

34 minutes ago, starhopper said:

Saw ANOTHER Wild Turkey "Decades" on the shelf today at a different store here- $159 - still passed on it.

I'm surprised at those price points seeing as how most WT LEs just seem to languish at lower prices than that.

9 minutes ago, BB12 said:

It very rare to find a Yamazaki in the states. But it's worthless you don't enjoy it.  

True - I love the 12yr, easily Top 3 for me but the 2.5x price for the 18 was hard to swallow

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

I'm surprised at those price points seeing as how most WT LEs just seem to languish at lower prices than that.

Depends on the release. Russell's 1998 sold out rapidly for ~$300

3 hours ago, Jkersh said:

That's a pretty decent price, wouldnt say foolish, but if you like it and can swing it go back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.