What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I found the AAA10 at an ABC store just north of Charlotte, NC. She said it had been a while since they'd carried it, but she's starting to get shipments again. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but these were plastic 1.75's of it. She said that's the only size she can get.

Ah, so this wasn't in Texas then.  I think that's where you confused your fellow Texans!

I found the AAA10 at an ABC store just north of Charlotte, NC. She said it had been a while since they'd carried it, but she's starting to get shipments again. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but these were plastic 1.75's of it. She said that's the only size she can get.

That is very good news. I hope that it starts showing up around here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've seen the 1.75 AA with the 10 on it in Houston but new bottles with no age statement.

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Ah, so this wasn't in Texas then.  I think that's where you confused your fellow Texans!

Sorry about the confusion there. I would've picked up a few if I knew how many people wanted one. I usually just buy what I like. I've had the AAA10, but wasn't all that crazy about it. It probably deserves another shot, as my only taste of it was from this relic below, and that was after a few glasses of Booker's and McKenna.

image.jpeg

Sorry about the confusion there. I would've picked up a few if I knew how many people wanted one. I usually just buy what I like. I've had the AAA10, but wasn't all that crazy about it. It probably deserves another shot, as my only taste of it was from this relic below, and that was after a few glasses of Booker's and McKenna.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6fae7b1f13b77288e59041d2d101013.jpeg

Wow, that bottle looks like it has been in a demolition derby. Great photo.

5 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

No worries.  I was actually noticing the Virgin Bourbon right next to it after the recent discussion about it.  

Edited by dcbt

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

It is hard to tell but the picture looks like AAA 10 Star, not 10 year. Very different animals to me.

It seems like the AAA 10 year is gone for good (Or at least the foreseeable future) and anything on the shelf is a dusty.

^^^I don't think the current 10 star is even 1/2 of 10 years old.  :lol:

Didn't we recently discuss that somewhere? 

15 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^I don't think the current 10 star is even 1/2 of 10 years old.  :lol:

Didn't we recently discuss that somewhere? 

Probably! Is it even 4 years old? Maybe just barely. It used to be more like 6 years I believe although I don't know if it ever carried an age statement.

57 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is hard to tell but the picture looks like AAA 10 Star, not 10 year. Very different animals to me.

It seems like the AAA 10 year is gone for good (Or at least the foreseeable future) and anything on the shelf is a dusty.

They are indeed different animals and I didn't even notice this was 10 Star. I think I read an article about the 10 Star bottle over a year ago and hadn't even given it a second thought, especially since I don't see it in the stores I frequent.

Yeah, there's nothing "Ancient Ancient" about the 10 Star. I'm glad I didn't pick it up.

The current version of AA10* carries a 36-month age statement on the neck. Bruce is correct in that BT used to claim it was around 6yo. Not so anymore, sadly.

^^^Thanks Brian.  If I recall correctly, I think it was you that initially reported on this recent 'neck band' development. 

#IknewIwasn'tcrazyandhadseenitsomewhere!:blink:

On 3/18/2017 at 8:31 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I also passed on 375 ml bottles of Old Ripy, Bond & Lillard, .... I just can't drop $50 or more dollars on a pint of bourbon. The Ripy and Lillard bottles also looked quite dainty.

The Va ABC has 960 bottles of each that they're offering for sale starting today at the princely sum of $59.99 (375 ml). That's a big pass. 

The Va ABC has 960 bottles of each that they're offering for sale starting today at the princely sum of $59.99 (375 ml). That's a big pass. 

Yeah, those prices are crazy. The Bond and Lillard is 7 year aged and charcoal filtered. The Old Ripy is 8 and 12 year old, "mixed with younger whiskies." Give me a break. That will stay a pass for me. I think Campari is looking for a cash grab here. I'll keep passing, too. I may have paid $50 for a fifth, for one of these; but even that would have been a stretch.

4 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Yeah, those prices are crazy. The Bond and Lillard is 7 year aged and charcoal filtered. The Old Ripy is 8 and 12 year old, "mixed with younger whiskies." Give me a break. That will stay a pass for me. I think Campari is looking for a cash grab here. I'll keep passing, too. I may have paid $50 for a fifth, for one of these; but even that would have been a stretch.

I saw one review from another website and the guy said that B&L was good but Rare Breed was better and was half the price. Sounds like a plan to me!!

I saw one review from another website and the guy said that B&L was good but Rare Breed was better and was half the price. Sounds like a plan to me!!

That is an absolute plan. I doubt that I would like either one better than 10 year age stated Russell's Reserve, which is a third of the price.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:36 PM, jvd99 said:

Didn't buy anything, but this is the best store name ever

IMG_0603.JPG

The store next door is "Lips..."  I guess it didn't quite qualify to be a liquor store. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.