What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^^^
Ditto CEHT at $40 in stl. It's about the only bt product you can regularly find.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That line is crazy if ECBP is the best available bottle.  I'd probably just lean on the shoulder of a smaller store in advance for a bottle.  I asked in January and got the phone call like two weeks ago for the newest batch.

Passed on everything today. Most notably a Redemption Bourbon for $52.99, and a shelf full of Booker's that has gone from $47.99 to $53.99. 

Joe

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^Fitz how does this process work? You wait in line and basically go straight to the cashier and ask for what you want? Is CEHT small batch something hard to get in Louisiana? Here at the big liquor stores CEHT sits on the shelf for less than $35 but you can't find ER10 or Blanton's in those stores.

He's in Kentucky, not Louisiana.

A lot of bourbons we take for granted can be hard to get in the motherland because there's so much more awareness and competition. 

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:
^Fitz how does this process work? You wait in line and basically go straight to the cashier and ask for what you want? Is CEHT small batch something hard to get in Louisiana? Here at the big liquor stores CEHT sits on the shelf for less than $35 but you can't find ER10 or Blanton's in those stores.

Sometimes there are lotteries.

The way it worked yesterday is the liquor store sent out an email the day before that they were releasing a bunch of different bottles on a first come, first serve basis. This particular store has a one bottle limit per type of bourbon, but you could buy 15 different ones if you wanted. When they open, everybody stays in line and walk to the middle of aisle and the line snakes around to a side counter, where a team of employees place them on the counter as fast as people grab bottles (until the bottles are gone). You then take your bottles to a cash register. At the first store, I got CEHT and a Kentucky Derby bottle of Woodford Reserve (it wasn't just released that morning, but my wife has wanted a bottle for decoration, so I got one while it was available). I then drove to 3 other Liquor Barns, hoping for ECBP@fifeman was with me, and he got the last bottle of ECBP at the third store we checked out.

Eagle Rare is pretty easy to find in Lexington. Blanton's used to be easier to find in town, but I don't see it as frequently as before. They sell Blanton's at the Buffalo Trace distillery, which is a short drive from Lexington.

We are blessed to have access to bottles like HH BIB, Old Fitzgerald BIB, VOB BIB, Bulleit Barrel Strength, Kentucky Owl, etc. @flahute is correct. Some bottles that are common in other parts of the country are tricky to find around here because there are a lot of bourbon connoisseurs and bourbon collectors in the bluegrass state. I'm still trying to figure out why several people were so jacked up to buy bottles of Pinhook Bourbon, though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
Correct autocorrect errors

34 minutes ago, flahute said:

He's in Kentucky, not Louisiana.

A lot of bourbons we take for granted can be hard to get in the motherland because there's so much more awareness and competition. 

Distribution is a funny thing too. VA is state run but you can almost always find Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's. The EH Taylor Small Batch goes through online order here (and sells out very quickly). 

Passed on a Michter's 10 Year Single Barrel Bourbon for $114 today. Wasn't wowed by the reviews thus far, though I probably could have flipped it for more, but that's not my game. 

Grabbed a 1792 High Rye and Old Bardstown 90 Proof (Willett distilled) to try instead (and combined for less than half of the Michter's). 

On 3/11/2017 at 6:59 AM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

It is a special release of the Double Oaked. From what I had read, the bourbon aged a full 2 years in the second barrel. It was originally only sold at the Distillery gift shop. Now, the Costco where I live is only about 25 miles or so from the Woodford Reserve Distillery, so maybe that is how they got a few cases of it. At that price, I thought it would last enough time for me to sleep on it. The manager told me that they sold out in a few hours. I had heard they were selling them for $50ish in the Distillery gift shop.

Passed on this WR DO special earlier today.  Price was reasonable, but I was focused on the WT MK Decades I was picking up.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

...........I was focused on the WT MK Decades I was picking up.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one Harry.

Passed on a bottle of ETL yesterday.  I had just purchased two bottles of Booker's 2017-01 and as much as I've been wanting a bottle I couldn't lay out another $100 for it.

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Distribution is a funny thing too. VA is state run but you can almost always find Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's. The EH Taylor Small Batch goes through online order here (and sells out very quickly). 

Quite true.

Though we get dinged with crazy taxes out here, we do regularly have on our shelves bourbons that people in most of the country can't get without some effort. I tell myself that to make me feel better at least!

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Passed on everything today. Most notably a Redemption Bourbon for $52.99, and a shelf full of Booker's that has gone from $47.99 to $53.99. 

Joe

Joe, I don't know about the Redemption; but, the Booker's would be a certifiable bargain in Michigan.     Booker's sells for waaaay above that locally.     The different pricing around the country is sometimes astounding to me.

Booker's is going crazy price wise in KY.  Most everyone is now selling it for $71.99 or $72.99.  I saw it at one store this weekend at $89.99.  Kroger has had it at $76.99 on sale for $66.99 for a couple of weeks.  Most of them have been Batch 2016-06 although I have seen a few of Batch 2016-05.  Saturday was the first time I had seen Batch 2017-01.

What drives me crazy is that if you look on TW's web site it lists ETL for $30.99 for a 750 (of course there is none in stock) and then I see 1 bottle in a store for $99.99.  I know it's all supply and demand but sheesh!

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one Harry.

My initial thoughts on it were posted about 9PM 19 March on the "What bourbon are you drinking" thread (which you've probably seen by now).  It is expensive, but I think I am getting my money's worth.  It is sitting next to my GTS 2014.

Passed on 2 Weller Antique 107.   $100 a bottle.   I ended up buying the Special Reserve for $16.  Quite a jump for the Antique.    

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

My initial thoughts on it were posted about 9PM 19 March on the "What bourbon are you drinking" thread (which you've probably seen by now).  It is expensive, but I think I am getting my money's worth.  It is sitting next to my GTS 2014.

I did see that shortly after I responded to your comment. Thanks for the notes. I'm going to pick one up as well.

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Joe, I don't know about the Redemption; but, the Booker's would be a certifiable bargain in Michigan.     Booker's sells for waaaay above that locally.     The different pricing around the country is sometimes astounding to me.

I mistyped the price of the Redemption. It was $82.99.:mellow:

This weekend passed on VOB BIB at 13.99, which is pretty good round here. Also passed on a bottle of SAOS 7, bottled in 2014, for 35.99. Wanted that SAOS but wasnt in the budget.

Passed on 2 Weller Antique 107.   $100 a bottle.   I ended up buying the Special Reserve for $16.  Quite a jump for the Antique.    

$100 sounds quite steep to me.

Is it really passing up if you don't intend to buy it?

These where at least interesting.

d16c843f73179f5082fd31190f448e5e.jpg

cac1634bde4a088eee698cf25fd4f62c.jpg

5d5b059ec4f55b5359df75400d0b1165.jpg

Is it really passing up if you don't intend to buy it?

These where at least interesting.

cac1634bde4a088eee698cf25fd4f62c.jpg

I'd be tempted to buy the Maker's Private Select.

That seems awfully expensive for the Old Forester.

Thought it was just me that felt The OF single barrel was crazy. Now if it said it was 10+ years old maybe.

That's a good price on the Maker's private select.  The few places that have it locally are $69.99.  I have one in the bunker...just waiting for a good excuse to open it.

Still couldn't pull the dang trigger.  I just have to follow my gut here and say that if this stuff was anything to worry about, it wouldn't be sitting on the shelf....regardless of price.

Oh well.

IMAG1882[1].jpg

IMAG1881[1].jpg

That's a good price on the Maker's private select.  The few places that have it locally are $69.99.  I have one in the bunker...just waiting for a good excuse to open it.

I need to try regular MM to see if it's worth the commitment, it's been about a year. At the time I was into WT101 and Woodford and didn't care for it. Do remember going through a good amount at the Midland airport one time on a business trip.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.