What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

28 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I've been passing on the Stagg Jr for months at about $53 a bottle at the local grocery store. Reviews online seemed somewhat mixed. I was in San Francisco recently at a whiskey bar and ordered a dram, which was quite good. Now I'm sad because I can't find it locally anymore.

$50 +/- $5 or so and I'm all over it. I think many of the mixed reviews were for the first batch or two. 

52 minutes ago, Clueby said:

$50 +/- $5 or so and I'm all over it. I think many of the mixed reviews were for the first batch or two. 

Agreed, that first batch was kind of rough, but they've been better since and are pretty consistently good now.  I wouldn't not pass it up at $45-50 if I needed a barrel proofer.

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

I've been passing on the Stagg Jr for months at about $53 a bottle at the local grocery store. Reviews online seemed somewhat mixed. I was in San Francisco recently at a whiskey bar and ordered a dram, which was quite good. Now I'm sad because I can't find it locally anymore.

I think reviews for batches 3 and forward have been pretty good. Most of the bad reviews were batch 1. I've only had 3 and 4 but have really enjoyed them and look to get a batch when it's released now. 

5 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Shouldn't everyone pass on Hudson Baby Bourbon, that stuff is pretty rough

ha!  my thoughts exactly, especially at that high price

I sure would like a bottle of this, but that is a lot of change for a pint.
a1ad7609e5cd44c811b8e5b23b2760ac.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

^^^^^ I wish I would have bought more when I was at the Distillery. Its very good. ^^^^^

Saw WTMK 17 years $135 and WT Diamond 60yr anniversary $115? Not familiar with the diamond.

Several bottles of Hancock for $54, Blanton's $57 and EJ with age statement on back $30.

^^^^^ I wish I would have bought more when I was at the Distillery. Its very good. ^^^^^

LCWoody, are there any bourbons that you can compare to this one? I am kinda kicking myself for not getting a bottle. I bet that it is fairly limited.

6 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

LCWoody, are there any bourbons that you can compare to this one? I am kinda kicking myself for not getting a bottle. I bet that it is fairly limited.

Its one of the sweetest bourbons Ive ever had, I love a lot of wood flavor and this is a wood heaven to me. Not 23, 25, year wood, just lots of very good wood, sweet flavors. The only thing I can compare it to is some of the old, Old Forester from the '80s and '90s.

Its one of the sweetest bourbons Ive ever had, I love a lot of wood flavor and this is a wood heaven to me. Not 23, 25, year wood, just lots of very good wood, sweet flavors. The only thing I can compare it to is some of the old, Old Forester from the '80s and '90s.

That sounds really good. I hope they don't sell out before I can get a bottle.

Passed up handles of OGD BiB in the old bottle design for $32.

Passed up handles of Old Taylor 6 years old for $20 plastic bottles only 80 proof.

Left one 750 of OWA on shelf, took one, left four handles of OWA at $42 took one. We'll likely be back for OWA handles.

Which one were you discussing?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Which one were you discussing?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Woodford Reserve Double Double Oaked

11 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I think reviews for batches 3 and forward have been pretty good. Most of the bad reviews were batch 1. I've only had 3 and 4 but have really enjoyed them and look to get a batch when it's released now. 

Okay, good to know. I'll just wait it out then, it doesn't seem like the supply is limited enough to warrant paying upwards of $90 (when accounting for shipping) for a bottle on the internet. Thanks!

I sure would like a bottle of this, but that is a lot of change for a pint.
a1ad7609e5cd44c811b8e5b23b2760ac.jpg

I just stopped in the pick up a bottle. They sold them all yesterday. Oh well, looks like I can put the money that I was going to spend on that towards a bottle of Old Forester 1920. Or I could drive to the Woodford Reserve Distillery.

46 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I just stopped in the pick up a bottle. They sold them all yesterday. Oh well, looks like I can put the money that I was going to spend on that towards a bottle of Old Forester 1920. Or I could drive to the Woodford Reserve Distillery.

Ive been thinking of picking up one of those bourbons myself. Really leaning more toward the 1920 though. I love Of Sig.

Black Maple Hill Oregon Straight Bourbon Whiskey for $99.99... Was an easy pass. Made even easier when the store owner pulled out a bottle of ECBP he said he'd stuck back for me!

11 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Is this a special release of Double Oak? $42.99 does seem very high for 375ml.

Is this a special release of Double Oak? $42.99 does seem very high for 375ml.

It is a special release of the Double Oaked. From what I had read, the bourbon aged a full 2 years in the second barrel. It was originally only sold at the Distillery gift shop. Now, the Costco where I live is only about 25 miles or so from the Woodford Reserve Distillery, so maybe that is how they got a few cases of it. At that price, I thought it would last enough time for me to sleep on it. The manager told me that they sold out in a few hours. I had heard they were selling them for $50ish in the Distillery gift shop.

New bottle OWA at $47.99. This store had OWA at $37.99 last year and I passed because of the price.  Counter person said they just came in today and were selling quickly. Crazy. I also passed on new bottle WSR at $21.99 in a different store. Not a horrible price but I have a couple of family sized bottles in the bunker and that's enough for me. 

New bottle OWA at $47.99. This store had OWA at $37.99 last year and I passed because of the price.  Counter person said they just came in today and were selling quickly. Crazy. I also passed on new bottle WSR at $21.99 in a different store. Not a horrible price but I have a couple of family sized bottles in the bunker and that's enough for me. 

The WSR has been rising in price around here too, but there is only one place in town where it sits on the shelf: a liquor store with bars on the window that charges $50+ for a fifth of it. I haven't seen any OWA or Weller 12 on the shelves here in a few years. When I used to see it, I would pass on it to buy my Wild Turkey 101, unless I was buying it to give to my father-in-law. It will be interesting to see at what price it had to get to start collecting dust around here.

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

The WSR has been rising in price around here too, but there is only one place in town where it sits on the shelf: a liquor store with bars on the window that charges $50+ for a fifth of it. I haven't seen any OWA or Weller 12 on the shelves here in a few years. When I used to see it, I would pass on it to buy my Wild Turkey 101, unless I was buying it to give to my father-in-law. It will be interesting to see at what price it had to get to start collecting dust around here.

In Elizabethtown there is one store that has about 6 750's of WSR (they seem to get more than all the others).  I've seen 3 handles of WSR.  The only two OWA 750's I've seen were not on the shelf but when I asked they brought them out and sold them to me.  W12 . . . it doesn't exist around here.  It's hard to pass something up when you can't even find it. LOL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.