What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Neighbourhood grocery store had a bottle of Blanton's for $65.  I thought about taking it home, but I have a few in the bunker.  That's the only bottle of Blanton's I have seen in several months. 

7 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

This weekend passed on VOB BIB at 13.99, which is pretty good round here. Also passed on a bottle of SAOS 7, bottled in 2014, for 35.99. Wanted that SAOS but wasnt in the budget.

Unless you are already stocked up or don't like this one, I'd jump at the chance to add a case of that to the bunker for that price.

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Thought it was just me that felt The OF single barrel was crazy. Now if it said it was 10+ years old maybe.

That's the going rate for Old Fo Single Barrel now. I'd be interested in that one coming from the 7th floor.

That's the going rate for Old Fo Single Barrel now. I'd be interested in that one coming from the 7th floor.

I have a bottle of OFSig I love the nose on it possibly, one of the best noses of any bourbon I have on hand. It has a wonderful smell of bananas or something. Everything else about it though just falls apart. That being said it has a taste that you can tell would benefit from age. If I knew the age I'd consider the single barrel bottle. I do agree that it coming from what must be towards the top of the rickhouse is appealing.

Maybe I can email the LS or Brown Forman for info.

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I have a bottle of OFSig I love the nose on it possibly, one of the best noses of any bourbon I have on hand. It has a wonderful smell of bananas or something. Everything else about it though just falls apart. That being said it has a taste that you can tell would benefit from age. If I knew the age I'd consider the single barrel bottle. I do agree that it coming from what must be towards the top of the rickhouse is appealing.

Maybe I can email the LS or Brown Forman for info.

Spec's might know the age. Don't be deterred by a younger age though given the top floor of the rickhouse. See if you can get a taste. It's possible this one could have some extra spiciness compared to the typical Old Fo profile. The barrel my group picked was from the 5th floor but it has that additional spice that goes beyond the usual profile. It's very satisfying.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Still couldn't pull the dang trigger.  I just have to follow my gut here and say that if this stuff was anything to worry about, it wouldn't be sitting on the shelf....regardless of price.

Oh well.

IMAG1882[1].jpg

IMAG1881[1].jpg

I would say it's a good pass. I have a bottle and it's a bit rough for a 20yo. 

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I need to try regular MM to see if it's worth the commitment, it's been about a year. At the time I was into WT101 and Woodford and didn't care for it. Do remember going through a good amount at the Midland airport one time on a business trip.

You'll probably find that regular Maker's and the private select are "apples to oranges".  The taste of PS will vary in sweetness, richness and spice based upon the staves they selected to finish with.  If you can sample the PS that would be the best bet.  Regular Maker's is kind of thin and uninspiring to me....ymmv.

I passed on a bottle of VOB 90 proof for $25 (I bought one for $16 not to long ago, although hard to find in my area). I also passed on 2 half pints of JBB 8 yr. for $8.50 (I might go back for those). I also left a 1.75 of OGDBib(old orange bottle) for $38 (this one I will be going back for) I am getting married in 4 days, so I can't afford to spend any extra until after.

Edited by Dgriffin

Passed on ECBP Batch 12 at a Meck Count ABC store no less (they had 2 on the shelf behind the counter) because I have several and decided to leave those for someone else, same on Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and some BT

CEHT BP at 79.....I may go back this weekend to get it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Didn't buy anything, but this is the best store name ever

Did you at least get a sticker?

Or you could just 'hit up' their sister stores, Big Beaver and Little Beaver.  :lol:

On topic, I passed up some newly stocked ER10 at the local today. 

Once again don't feel I passed anything up as I for some reason not a fan of the VOB Barton BiB.

They had as many handles of the non BiB as well.

0eed13e7db3bf4b80d3bdb57516caaa6.jpg

15 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Didn't buy anything, but this is the best store name ever

IMG_0603.JPG

I know the guy that owns that store.  His first name is Harold, but he goes by Harry.  He's really good people.  Harry Beaver, one of my favorites.;)

Today is the first time I've ever seen a 375 of OWA on the shelf . . . passed at $14.99 since we can still get a liter at a couple of places for under $29.

Today is the first time I've ever seen a 375 of OWA on the shelf . . . passed at $14.99 since we can still get a liter at a couple of places for under $29.

Man, where do you live? It is really hard to find in Lexington, and the Weller 12 has become a phantom bottle.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Passed on a handle of fighting cock 6 year. I think I might head back soon and give it a new home.

44 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Passed on a handle of fighting cock 6 year. I think I might head back soon and give it a new home.

FC is all NAS in this area. Should have stocked up on the 6 year when I could get it 6-7 years ago.

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Man, where do you live? It is really hard to find in Lexington, and the Weller 12 has become a phantom bottle.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Kansas City, MO . . . and we shop on both sides of the river.  Some stuff is available in KS, but not in MO.  Saw OWA in the new and old packaging today in the same store.  It will disappear sometimes, but has been findable over the last year.  W12 is a whole different story . . . it stays disappeared.

I passed on this today. We never see this in TX. And I don't recall seeing this elsewhere anytime in recent memory. 

image.jpeg

I passed on this today. We never see this in TX. And I don't recall seeing this elsewhere anytime in recent memory. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ee6b3790950452d314617f1d4343784d.jpeg

Ooh, where did you see that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, TexanBrad said:

Ooh, where did you see that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what he asked....

I found the AAA10 at an ABC store just north of Charlotte, NC. She said it had been a while since they'd carried it, but she's starting to get shipments again. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but these were plastic 1.75's of it. She said that's the only size she can get.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.