What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I think part of it is they are hoping some people buy it since it is behind the glass, people who would otherwise pass.

Another huh moment in the same liquor store yesterday. They have now started to put loss prevention bottle alarms on the fifths and handles or Elijah Craig NAS and they have them on the top shelf. They also put alarms on Four Roses small batch. Amador costs more, but clearly more thieves prefer Four Roses and EC. Also, Eagle Rare has no alarms on it (maybe the wine shaped bottles are tougher for thieves to conceal).

723aa56183f7ab7c76b3de6c002ab618.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The ER bottle might be hard to put a ring on since there is no "lip" to catch on although looks like some bottles behind the front one might have them on.  That's a good price on ER. Its usually $35-$40 here. TW puts them out at $28.99 with a 1 per limit but doesn't always have it.

4 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I think part of it is they are hoping some people buy it since it is behind the glass, people who would otherwise pass.

Another huh moment in the same liquor store yesterday. They have now started to put loss prevention bottle alarms on the fifths and handles or Elijah Craig NAS and they have them on the top shelf. They also put alarms on Four Roses small batch. Amador costs more, but clearly more thieves prefer Four Roses and EC. Also, Eagle Rare has no alarms on it (maybe the wine shaped bottles are tougher for thieves to conceal).

723aa56183f7ab7c76b3de6c002ab618.jpg

Not sure what those caps are supposed to do.  Do they actually trigger an alarm at the door?  If not, if someone successfully steals the bottle, I would surmise the cap could be removed or cut off with a basic tool set

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Although I haven't bought another since about 2012, I'd pass on a bottle of WPS.     (Since that one, I have tasted a couple from bottles belonging to others, and had a pour in a bar once.)   Too many negative comments, plus I was a little underwhelmed by all the tastes I've had including that bottle from back then. 

...Not to mention the difficulty in finding shelf space that accommodates the too-wide AND too-tall bottle.    Also, Willett has been experiencing increasing difficulty in acquiring properly aged barrels of decent Bourbon (as has every other NDP) in recent years.     The bottle is a kinda arty-looking representation of a pot still, and rather attractive for what it is; but the distillate inside hasn't been worth the money for many folx for some time. 

That's not to say you shouldn't take a flyer on it.     If you go in with your eyes open and still want the experience, plus the unique bottle... Hell; go for it!    It isn't that big an investment.

Nice post, thanks for the insights.  Much appreciated.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

$300 for Very Old Fitzgerald 12. Geez. I remember when it was $40 a bottle. I enjoyed my glass of it last night, but $300 is outrageous. I'm not gonna lie, I'd be tempted at $100, though.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Richnimrod said:

Old Fitzgerald, or Old Forester?     If it's Old Forester, I'd definitely grab it!    If it's Old Fitz....  Ah, jeeeeez, I'd probably grab that, too.     Hell, get 'em both!

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, Steve L said:

If it was a dusty of the Old Forester BIB it woulda come home!  I'll probably head back tomorrow and snap up the Old Fitz BIB tho...

It was definitely bottles of Very Old Fitzgerald 12.  Yes, I've heard good things about it but not when my wife would hit me over the head with a frying pan for spending that on a bottle of bourbon.:)

1 minute ago, CardsandBourbon said:

It was definitely bottles of Very Old Fitzgerald 12.  Yes, I've heard good things about it but not when my wife would hit me over the head with a frying pan for spending that on a bottle of bourbon.:)

Therein lies the glory of separate bank accounts! ;)

4 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Therein lies the glory of separate bank accounts! ;)

Separate check books just a very observant wife who has seen my bourbon collection go from 0 - 30 bottles + a cabinet to put it all in, just in the last 6 weeks.  I think I'm going to have to back off buying for a while or get better at sneaking it into the house.

Separate check books just a very observant wife who has seen my bourbon collection go from 0 - 30 bottles + a cabinet to put it all in, just in the last 6 weeks.  I think I'm going to have to back off buying for a while or get better at sneaking it into the house.

That is the reason why I am switching over to a bourbon budget starting in April. My bourbon collection is growing much more rapidly since joining​ SB.

8 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

That is the reason why I am switching over to a bourbon budget starting in April. My bourbon collection is growing much more rapidly since joining SB.

Mine too.  Once I think I have about all that I need (?) someone gets on here and waxes poetically about their latest find and then I can't wait to get to the store and pick up a bottle.  I think I have Bourborexia Nervosa, the fear of missing out on a good bottle of bourbon.

Passed on pretty much everything today. Wasn't anything I didn't already have or didn't want. CEHTSmB $35, AE $42 (cheapest I've seen it), Blanton's $57, BT Bourbon Cream $20, Noah's Mill $42.

I've passed on rhetoric the past two years, the 21 and 22 year. I went back to get the 22 year this past weekend, of course it was gone :(

7 minutes ago, CaliER said:

I've passed on rhetoric the past two years, the 21 and 22 year. I went back to get the 22 year this past weekend, of course it was gone :(

I just cant bring myself to drop $100 on a single bottle. I think the most I've ever spent is $75.

50 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I just cant bring myself to drop $100 on a single bottle. I think the most I've ever spent is $75.

Yeah, it would have been my most expensive purchase thus far.

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

me too. I think the $65 Old Scout 25 year rum was the priciest bottle Ive ever bought.

I went into a store that does great volume, has a great selection and sometimes some really good deals. In the last few years, the owner has started pushing the limit on bourbon prices. OWA was $30 two years ago, $38 this past summer (pass) and now $48. Yesterday, I saw she had a bottle of ECBP behind the counter. It was $60 seven months ago and they applied a 10% coupon on that for a mid 50's price before tax. Fair. Well, no more. Asked and when the counter person scanned it the screen popped up $99.99. Sheesh. The local county ABC has raised their pricing from $50 to $59 to $65 over the last 12 months so I'm guessing there is some retail pricing increase included, but $99 is a pass for me. I did manage to get three at $65 so it's a little easier to say no, but I don't like where the price is going. 

Today I passed on Michter's 10 Year Rye, Pinhook Straight Bourbon, Old Medley Family Reserve, WT Master's Keep Decades, Booker's (Tommy's Batch), Angel's Envy Rye, Jefferson's Oceans Cask Strength store pick.

I also passed on 375 ml bottles of Old Ripy, Bond & Lillard, and Woodford Reserve Double Double Oaked. I just can't drop $50 or more dollars on a pint of bourbon. The Ripy and Lillard bottles also looked quite dainty.

They sold out of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof about 5 customers before me in line.

I was able to buy CEHT Small Batch at two stores.

19487b26e7a59e44e23c1fdcf2b62a5d.jpg

Passed on a lot today because I'm pretty well stocked. ER10, OWA 750's, a lot of BT for this area, WTMK both 17 and Decades, even some Diamond, and AE to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Old Fitz is that the line for people waiting for ECBP?

Houston Nit

That was part of the line when I got there an hour before opening. The line ended up wrapping around the side of the building outside.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof was the big winner of the releases.

b7e5342b63a9c7899621d30836a8cfa9.jpg

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

No way I'm standing in that line

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

At least there's NO snow on the ground and the people aren't all bundled up!  Still lots of snow on the streets here in Brooklyn, NY today.  Guess snow removal isn't high on the priority list for the NYC DPW  . . . . . .    :(

No way I'm standing in that line

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

@fifeman and me were in the front quarter of the line. Got there about an hour before opening. I waste far more than an hour checking liquor stores (generally to no avail) for bottles like CEHT and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. We had good conversation with each other and another bourbon fan for the hour, so it was time well spent. I didn't get ECBP, but did get CEHT. I wouldn't get there really early unless they got something like a Four Roses Limited Edition or and Elijah Craig 18. I'd be willing to get there quite early for those bottles (if it wasn't a lottery).

^Fitz how does this process work? You wait in line and basically go straight to the cashier and ask for what you want? Is CEHT small batch something hard to get in Louisiana? Here at the big liquor stores CEHT sits on the shelf for less than $35 but you can't find ER10 or Blanton's in those stores.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.