What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see WSR at some places pushing $50.and others, sometimes right down the street, under $20. Its bizarre. OWA is almost as nonexistent as W12. If you do see it its usually north of $50 except for TW which puts it put at a 1 per customer for $21.99 and its gone on a few hours.

New bottle OWA at $47.99. This store had OWA at $37.99 last year and I passed because of the price.  Counter person said they just came in today and were selling quickly. Crazy. I also passed on new bottle WSR at $21.99 in a different store. Not a horrible price but I have a couple of family sized bottles in the bunker and that's enough for me. 

I've bought handles of OWA for less than that.

Are you in Kentucky? How about I send some OWA your way and we can get some heaven Hill BiB 6 and Old Fitz BiB.

I keep passing on Angel's Envy Rye. $80 is a big chunk of change. This Icons of Whisky Woodford Reserve intrigues me. Has anybody had it? It isn't barrel proof. What is the reason for the extra $25 on the price?

9c040ced052563bfa0dde6a1707d22f5.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

This Icons of Whisky Woodford Reserve intrigues me. Has anybody had it? It isn't barrel proof. What is the reason for the extra $25 on the price?

9c040ced052563bfa0dde6a1707d22f5.jpg

That's the label they use for private selections.

What this means is that the guys from Icon selected from single barrels, narrowed it down, and decided on a blend of two of their favorite barrels.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

What this means is that the guys from Icon selected from single barrels, narrowed it down, and decided on a blend of two of their favorite barrels.

You mean, it's like a private selection where you get to pay an additional $25 for the sticker on the bottle? :lol:

So, instead of a single barrel, it is like a double barrel. Have you tried it?

11 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

So, instead of a single barrel, it is like a double barrel. Have you tried it?

I know this wasn't directed at me (Steve will speak for himself).  For what it's worth, I will purchase the Icon selections when I see them, for no other reason than curiosity.  They can be nice, but are likely to stand out no more than any other private selection picks available.  

IMO, it is very doubtful that it's $25 better than the standard.  However, some folks don't care, and simply want the bottle for it's unique and/or collectible status.  At the end of the day, you're still getting a small batch Woodford Reserve here, which is likely to be as good as, or a bit better than what's readily available on the shelves.   

P. S. I will not purchase these when they are $25 over the standard's retail price.  I do purchase them when they are priced at normal retail (or anywhere within the 10% range of retail).  But, that's just me!  :)

Edited by Paddy
Edit to add P. S.

I know this wasn't directed at me (Steve will speak for himself).  For what it's worth, I will purchase the Icon selections when I see them, for no other reason than curiosity.  They can be nice, but are likely to stand out no more than any other private selection picks available.  

IMO, it is very doubtful that it's $25 better than the standard.  However, some folks don't care, and simply want the bottle for it's unique and/or collectible status.  At the end of the day, you're still getting a small batch Woodford Reserve here, which is likely to be as good as, or a bit better than what's readily available on the shelves.   

I wonder how many barrels are blended for regular batches of Woodford Reserve. Two barrels of Woodford may have quite a bit different taste. I wish it was barrel proof, but I think that smoothness is important to Woodford Reserve. I wonder how many bottles of this they released.

56 minutes ago, Paddy said:

P. S. I will not purchase these when they are $25 over the standard's retail price.  I do purchase them when they are priced at normal retail (or anywhere within the 10% range of retail).  But, that's just me!  :)

49 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I wonder how many barrels are blended for regular batches of Woodford Reserve. Two barrels of Woodford may have quite a bit different taste. I wish it was barrel proof, but I think that smoothness is important to Woodford Reserve. I wonder how many bottles of this they released.

I have not tried this one but I participated in a selection for a group I'm in back in November.

Paddy is likely correct that it's not $25 better than the standard issue, but it's possible that it IS better than the usual depending on the palates of the pickers.

A standard Woodford Reserve batch is 100 barrels. These private selections are a batch of two barrels so it's the smallest of all possible small batches.

You start with 6 barrels and taste them individually. Then you start blending your favorites. I was surprised at the wide range of flavors between barrels. An important consideration here is that there's a fair amount of difference between the pot still distilled Woodford from Versailles versus the column still distilled Woodford from Shively. If you greatly prefer the column still product like I do than a resultant blend of two Shively barrels can hit your sweet spot quite a bit more than the standard product. It did for me.

Not saying it's $25 better, but it was quite a bit better to me. Aside: There were those in our group who preferred the pot still product who were not as excited about our winning blend. So it all comes down to what tickles your palate.

I can't tell from the blurry picture, but is that Woodford in question a 1L bottle?  If so, the price makes a little more sense...they are $49.99 for 1L store pick right down the road. 

Just passed on an OFBIB Handle at 34.99. Do I go back and grab it? There was a nice layer of dust too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Steve L said:

Just passed on an OFBIB Handle at 34.99. Do I go back and grab it? There was a nice layer of dust too!!

Of couse! 

Yes

I would!

Today:

ECBP - $99 at 2 stores and $109 at a third.

Very Old Fitzgerald 12 - $299.99 at 2 stores

On 3/1/2017 at 11:16 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I found a little bit out about Cassius Clay Bourbon. Certainly not worth $60+.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/16/cassius-clay-straight-bourbon-whiskey-educates-con/

Maybe if they threw in a marionberry pie, the double double-take would be worth $60.

Today:

ECBP - $99 at 2 stores and $109 at a third.
Very Old Fitzgerald 12 - $299.99 at 2 stores

$300 for Very Old Fitzgerald 12. Geez. I remember when it was $40 a bottle. I enjoyed my glass of it last night, but $300 is outrageous. I'm not gonna lie, I'd be tempted at $100, though.

4 hours ago, Steve L said:

Old Fitzgerald, or Old Forester?     If it's Old Forester, I'd definitely grab it!    If it's Old Fitz....  Ah, jeeeeez, I'd probably grab that, too.     Hell, get 'em both!

Just now, Richnimrod said:

Old Fitzgerald, or Old Forester?     If it's Old Forester, I'd definitely grab it!    If it's Old Fitz....  Ah, jeeeeez, I'd probably grab that, too.     Hell, get 'em both!

If it was a dusty of the Old Forester BIB it woulda come home!  I'll probably head back tomorrow and snap up the Old Fitz BIB tho...

Happened to see multiple cases of Willett Pot Still Reserve at my local Costco, pricing was $39 (maybe?).  I've got my eye on it thought and will probably get it next time I'm there.

I haven't heard of Hartfield and Trail's End and I have no idea why they are locked behind glass.

9296ece93eb1e49c624b2c9ecc572600.jpg

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel

2 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Not sure why any of it's behind glass.  

Seems odd to me as well. My only guess is that putting those behind glass may possibly increase interest from people who don't know about the product (or possibly make people asking for a gift seem more impressed when they get a bottle from behind the glass). 

Seems odd to me as well. My only guess is that putting those behind glass may possibly increase interest from people who don't know about the product (or possibly make people asking for a gift seem more impressed when they get a bottle from behind the glass). 

I think part of it is they are hoping some people buy it since it is behind the glass, people who would otherwise pass.

Another huh moment in the same liquor store yesterday. They have now started to put loss prevention bottle alarms on the fifths and handles or Elijah Craig NAS and they have them on the top shelf. They also put alarms on Four Roses small batch. Amador costs more, but clearly more thieves prefer Four Roses and EC. Also, Eagle Rare has no alarms on it (maybe the wine shaped bottles are tougher for thieves to conceal).

723aa56183f7ab7c76b3de6c002ab618.jpg

19 hours ago, robertckim said:

Happened to see multiple cases of Willett Pot Still Reserve at my local Costco, pricing was $39 (maybe?).  I've got my eye on it thought and will probably get it next time I'm there.

Although I haven't bought another since about 2012, I'd pass on a bottle of WPS.     (Since that one, I have tasted a couple from bottles belonging to others, and had a pour in a bar once.)   Too many negative comments, plus I was a little underwhelmed by all the tastes I've had including that bottle from back then. 

...Not to mention the difficulty in finding shelf space that accommodates the too-wide AND too-tall bottle.    Also, Willett has been experiencing increasing difficulty in acquiring properly aged barrels of decent Bourbon (as has every other NDP) in recent years.     The bottle is a kinda arty-looking representation of a pot still, and rather attractive for what it is; but the distillate inside hasn't been worth the money for many folx for some time. 

That's not to say you shouldn't take a flyer on it.     If you go in with your eyes open and still want the experience, plus the unique bottle... Hell; go for it!    It isn't that big an investment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.