What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I too am enjoying some Four Roses tonight. A nice PS OBSQ from Westport Wine & Whiskey in Louisville. A very tasty pour.

Well, hello!  Haven't poked my nose in here in a while.  Life has a habit of getting busy, and it's been far busier than usual as of late.  

This week started off with cold weather and a cold, and I've been supplementing various cough medicines with Hochstater's Rock & Rye.  I've really grown to like the sweet orange-peel flavor, great when you can't really taste plain bourbon or scotch correctly.

Last Saturday, at the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the American whiskey selection is still only Bulleit (and Wild Turkey 81).  My favorite bartender is still treating me really well, and I heard Haydn's Symphony #60, which the BSO hadn't performed in 30 years.  Also in that concert, Beethoven's Symphony #7, which is less famous and less heard than most of the others.  

I've been contemplating a new life direction, and contemplation goes well with whiskey and quiet late at night.  Last night, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7, and tonight a large-sized Manhattan made with WTR101, Cocchi Vermouth de Turin, orange bitters, a dash of maple syrup, and some Luxardo cherries.

25 minutes ago, Kalessin said:

Well, hello!  Haven't poked my nose in here in a while.  Life has a habit of getting busy, and it's been far busier than usual as of late.  

This week started off with cold weather and a cold, and I've been supplementing various cough medicines with Hochstater's Rock & Rye.  I've really grown to like the sweet orange-peel flavor, great when you can't really taste plain bourbon or scotch correctly.

Last Saturday, at the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the American whiskey selection is still only Bulleit (and Wild Turkey 81).  My favorite bartender is still treating me really well, and I heard Haydn's Symphony #60, which the BSO hadn't performed in 30 years.  Also in that concert, Beethoven's Symphony #7, which is less famous and less heard than most of the others.  

I've been contemplating a new life direction, and contemplation goes well with whiskey and quiet late at night.  Last night, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7, and tonight a large-sized Manhattan made with WTR101, Cocchi Vermouth de Turin, orange bitters, a dash of maple syrup, and some Luxardo cherries.

Welcome back! Good to see that life is treating you well. Whiskey and the symphony sounds wonderful. Don't be a stranger.

No bourbon last nite - I was ass-deep in 'Laddie! Big flavors, all 100 proof+

20170323_182418.jpg

Since I just picked up several OC8s I decided to start off the afternoon with a healthy pour of it

Makers Mark Private Select with 5 French mocha and 4 French spice.    Liquor Barn Barrel 1 from a couple years ago.  This is really hitting the spot.  

IMG_0161.JPG

c2d8eef584ddd878b9da40a0b371940f.jpg
Last night's victims......with the help of my brother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I went deep into the expensive bourbon cabinet. (The one dad has to ask before he goes in).  Pulled out HHSS batch 2.  27 months in cognac barrel.  Damn I forgot how good this is.  It also reminded me I havent been on SB.com in about 9 months.  Its good to be back, and even better that we all have great whiskey.

2 minutes ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

50/50 SB blend to soothe a soar throat, fantastic.

I had a pour of that the other night.  Has to be at least 2 years old now.  It was spot on.  I dont go to it often since all I can find Weller is SR.  At some point this boom will die down......I hope.

Elmer T. Lee this evening.  I find it aggravating that I live less than 50 miles from the distillery but have to go to Wyoming to find any.  Ah, well.....I am thankful that I found it.  And Wyoming is always worth the trip.

PHC Blend of Masbills tonight.

Haven't touched t in a while. Fine Friday night pour. Touch of water.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makers Mark Private Select with 5 French mocha and 4 French spice.    Liquor Barn Barrel 1 from a couple years ago.  This is really hitting the spot.  
IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.80220fc4005f2d8e5d646c3ac4ba06c5.JPG

I see that they are releasing this year's selection tomorrow morning. Are you going to get a bottle?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

GBS 1792 Full Proof out by the fire on a beautiful evening here, Down South.  Great from nose to finish.  The mouthfeel is particularly good with its heaviness.  

Just had a generous pour of ER10 to finish off a bottle. This stuff needs more love it's awesome.

I was in on a locale store pick today of 1792 FP and didn't pick one that was worthy of a SB pick. They are going to pass this time, now I'm sipping on some SAOS 10y 61.1p very good.

40 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I see that they are releasing this year's selection tomorrow morning. Are you going to get a bottle?

Or three.  

Edited by kyrocklover

Or three.  

Nice. I'd love to get a bottle, but I've spent way too much money on bourbon the past two months.

32 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I was in on a locale store pick today of 1792 FP and didn't pick one that was worthy of a SB pick. 

Good move.  If one doesn't hit your sweet spot, there's no reason to take one.  How many barrels did they roll out for your group?

21 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Good move.  If one doesn't hit your sweet spot, there's no reason to take one.  How many barrels did they roll out for your group?

3, and its the 2nd batch of 3. I'm very disappointed in 1792FP SP they have sent us. I have had better off of the shelf. 

1 minute ago, LCWoody said:

3, and its the 2nd batch of 3. I'm very disappointed in 1792FP SP they have sent us. I have had better off of the shelf. 

Ah.  Samples sent?  Perhaps, samples sent from rejected barrels from previous selections might explain it.   Good on your group to not take something you're not happy with.

I'm having some OWA. First pour from the new style bottle. Seems a bit more on the red hots than it used to but may be my imagination. The only other OWA I have open is a store selected barrel that was superior so I may be biased. I am certainly enjoying the OWA tonight. Maybe just contemplating it a bit much. 

Doing a side by side of PHC 2 to PHC 10 while enjoying some Sweet 16. Must say the 2 blows the 10 out of the water, which is disappointing with the boom inflation. <_<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.