What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm a day late on the post, but after dinner with the family I treated myself to a Father's Day pour of W12 with a good friend. Hit the spot. 

IMG_2976.JPG

1 minute ago, Charlutz said:

I'm a day late on the post, but after dinner with the family I treated myself to a Father's Day pour of W12 with a good friend. Hit the spot. 

IMG_2976.JPG

You guys are killing me. STOP NOT FAIR

Having a ER with a Nica Rustica.

May have to break out the W12 to stay with the BIG DOGS!

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

You guys are killing me. STOP NOT FAIR

I know right!!  While I have one open bottle and one in the bunker, it will probably stay there until I can find more. I haven't seen a bottle in over 2 years. I was hoping to find some while in Florrida but the ABC managers say they haven't seen any in even longer. :(

Edited by Clueby

Popped the cork on the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and followed that with some Bulleit Rye.

Enjoying a BT as the wife and I plan are Kentucky vacation. 

Having a short pour of WT Forgiven before checking out for the day. Hope you all have a good one.

A little Booker's Oven Buster Batch - 2015-04 on this relatively cool summer night. Haven't had this one in a while and forgot how good it is.

Pikesville Rye, tastes a lot like Rittenhouse only 'more so.' Buddy is coming over in a moment to share and discuss.

IMG_1995.JPG

Having some Johnny Drum tonight. Its been awhile since I've had this, not bad. 

1792 High Rye while waiting out a rain delay for Braves on the radio.  Barton needs to put this one in the regular rotation. My favorite of their series by a good bit.  One of the great transitions from candy sweet start and middle to a dried flower potpourri finish.  So Four Roses-ish.  9.5 out of10 times I peg this as a great 4RSB.  

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

1792 High Rye while waiting out a rain delay for Braves on the radio.  Barton needs to put this one in the regular rotation. My favorite of their series by a good bit.  One of the great transitions from candy sweet start and middle to a dried flower potpourri finish.  So Four Roses-ish.  9.5 out of10 times I peg this as a great 4RSB.  

I've got one of those that I haven't opened yet. Your post might have convinced me to once I'm home. Still on vaca in FLA right now and having some Stagg Jr. again tonight by the pool. I had bought a WSR for pool sipping but the SJR find will probably mean the WSR will still be here the next time I'm down.

53 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It's my favorite of their expressions as well, and I usually favor the lower rye bourbons.  The others are a bit too sweet on my, say it with me everyone, palate.

Edited by dcbt

SA Contradiction... found it on the shelves this afternoon at state minimum price and tried it tonight. Pretty interesting... I like it. Could definitely make out the MGP Old Scout flavors along with the 2yo SA juice.  I prefer the Old Scout, but will be very interested to see how the SA distillate comes along. The heat of the young stuff is fun, but probably not something I'd want to drink every night... a couple more years in the barrel will do it some good.

Edited by JTaylor

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I could not agree more. Easily my favorite Barton product. It goes down fast when I have one open.

Having my first taste of Old Forester 1920 PS, quite nice, I get some Jack Daniels vibes on the nose, oak and banana, brown sugar. Very thick on the mouthfeel, and you can tell it's 115 proof, not so smooth, a big punch in the mouth. I like this stuff, it's big, bold, the things I like in a bourbon. 

Not a review, just some thoughts, I'm glad I've bought two bottles. 

Cheers! 

WILL.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:12 AM, flahute said:

Where do you live? OK?

This may be true there, but around here and other places I've seen, WTKS is generally in the $45-50 range. I like it, but at that price I'll choose RRSiB and WTRB over it pretty much every time.

Yes, I live in Oklahoma.

Like all goods & services, WTKS price varies from area to area.  However, in my area, WTKS is usually priced between WTRB and RRSiB.

I agree with you, I usually will choose WTRB (pre 112.8 proof) & RRSiB over WTKS given a choice.  But, I wasn't comparing WTKS to WTRB or RRSiB.  I was comparing KS to WT101.  A small but important point.  I don't usually compare barrel proof bourbons to their watered down versions.  I don't think it is a fair fight. 

WTKS is bottled at 101 proof and is a single barrel version of WT101.  As you are aware, single barrel expressions typically give "More" of the characteristics of the batched version.  So, when I want to treat myself to an "amped up" WT101, I splurge with a WTKS.

BTW, sorry it took awhile to respond to your post.  It has been a busy week.

Cheers,

Wedel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.