What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

HM BIB followed by OF 1920.  The minty notes and depth of the 1920 is knocking it out of the park tonight. 

HM BIB followed by OF 1920.  The minty notes and depth of the 1920 is knocking it out of the park tonight. 

OF 1920 for the whole block. UK in 2018!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bad game. peace out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Government Beard said:

Greetings and Salutations 

Just poured a little nip of this old sport right here. I think I prefer Knob Creek Single Barrel to Russell Reserve 10 Years. I love the texture and viscosity of KCSB. Not to say RR10 isn't good. Just that I had both last night and came to the conclusion that I preferred this one.

Cheers.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.ec9f219ef6c73bc954f8827922dc3cfa.jpg

120 proof is going to beat 90 proof in the viscosity department most of the time.

SAOS 11 45.9...

This one is getting better with a little air in the bottle. Tasting great tonight 

45 minutes ago, flahute said:

120 proof is going to beat 90 proof in the viscosity department most of the time.

Absolutely. You bring up an interesting point and entirely different topic of discussion but I think I am past the point in my bourbon/rye/whiskey journey to buy anything lower than 90 proof. I probably won't adhere 100% of the time ehh. Ho ho ho.

Switched it up. Who is ready for peat and a little more peat?

On another note - on the fence if I want to go straight out and pick up a new bottle once this one is done. Big fanboy of High West and I like this one, taste of sweet corn with the smokey finish, just so many other things on the agenda.

Cheers.

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.380076844f8ed85f76d5eef58fcb5b04.jpg

I've been loving the WTMK Decades. It's a favorable blend and the 104 proof shows it quite nicely. 

Tried to follow with ETL but the palate was having none of it. Went with some RRSiB since Turkey seemed to be working tonight and indeed it worked. 

Finishing with the 4RSiB PS 10yr OESV that I participated in picking and am absolutely loving this unique beast of a whiskey. So much barrel influence here that is uncharacteristic of 4R. Just loving this unusual combo.

I'm on vacation in LA and have hit up a few different bars.

Here are some bourbons I've tried:

Stagg Jr, lovely, can't wait for the next batch to come out so I can snag a bottle

Stagg proper, lovely as well and surprisingly drinkable neat at ~150 proof, but not as different as the Jr as I was expecting, really tasting this makes me appreciate Stagg Jr even more. I wouldn't say no to a bottle, but considering how easy it is to find Stagg Jr I won't be going out of my way looking for this.

OF 120, this is a decent pour and if it was $40 I would probably pick up a bottle, at 115 proof this was noticeably hotter and more rough than Stagg Jr at ~130 or even Stagg at ~150. I prefer the flavor profile of the Staggs as well. Hard to think of a reason to pay $60 for this when I can get Stagg Jr for ~$55 or so. Had I not been comparing directly to Stagg Jr I might have a more glowing opinion of this otherwise quite good whiskey.

Bernheim wheat, not a bourbon but the flavor profile isn't far off from wheated bourbons that I've had. This was quite nice, I would probably pick up a bottle if I could find it locally at retail price. Worst thing I can say about it is it's a bit soft a subtle, I think it would do well at a little higher proof.

Greetings and Salutations 

Just poured a little nip of this old sport right here. I think I prefer Knob Creek Single Barrel to Russell Reserve 10 Years. I love the texture and viscosity of KCSB. Not to say RR10 isn't good. Just that I had both last night and came to the conclusion that I preferred this one.

Cheers.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.ec9f219ef6c73bc954f8827922dc3cfa.jpg

Like Joe I'm a bit of a Weller snob but I've got to say that these KC Single Barrels are quickly climbing the list of my favorites. I've got 2 store selections that are outstanding. Awesome amount of flavor and a great smooth warm finish. 12 - 14 years must be the sweet spot for KC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

A little Monday night Bookers.

Noice......

and digging the vinyl collection.

Cheers

Edited by Government Beard

Old Scout 11 year (barrel # 2877 from May of 2016) tonight.

Ripe red berries wrapped in a blanket of vanilla, caramel, and sometimes a hint of butterscotch.

Also a finish that won't quit.

Thanks Sarah !

:)

IMAG1893.jpg

9 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Old Scout 11 year (barrel # 2877 from May of 2016) tonight.

Ripe red berries wrapped in a blanket of vanilla, caramel, and sometimes a hint of butterscotch.

Also a finish that won't quit.

Thanks Sarah !

:)

Nice. I've been very close to pulling the trigger on one or two of these but its not at retail. I believe its at a local store for 79.99 so IDK.

Nice. I've been very close to pulling the trigger on one or two of these but its not at retail. I believe its at a local store for 79.99 so IDK.

Have no idea where you live but that seems pricey. Kevinbrink posted a link to a store that ships online that has them for $45 in SAOS thread. I'll try to link below, might be worth shipping from them.

I never thought about the Mashbill on the SB but the 10 was lower rye than the 7, though both were MGP IIRC. I have a few bottles of the SB CS one being under 100 proof. I actually bought a few online from a store in St Louis that had great prices. Checked a few and they seem to be the higher 36% rye like the 7 yr.
https://wineandcheeseplace.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=old scout

That is my local store. They have several in stock at 46.99. All were good. The 11 year 45.x% and the 10 year 50.9 and 60.x%were my favorites.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Have no idea where you live but that seems pricey. Kevinbrink posted a link to a store that ships online that has them for $45 in SAOS thread. I'll try to link below, might be worth shipping from them.

Okay, I might be buying two or three tonight. I really appreciate the link and advice. I live in San Diego, California. It really is a weird market in Southern California. The biggest retail distributors we have is Bevmo and they suck. Totally suck and are close to useless. Total Wine is about an hour and a half away (closer to Orange County and LA) and they have a much better variety and if you drop in at the right time you can find some gems.  

Which leads me back to Smooth Ambler. It is only available at liquor stores around here. The 10 year SB is at least 80 bucks if not more.

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

That is my local store. They have several in stock at 46.99. All were good. The 11 year 45.x% and the 10 year 50.9 and 60.x%were my favorites.

Try the 56%? 

Yes. The 56% was decidedly hotter, and was missing the fruit an brown sugar sweetness that I enjoy with the rest.

If you haven't tried them, the SAOS7 are excellent as well.

If you have the scratch the sweet spot for shipping tends to be 3-4 bottles. Lately I have bought a few things from a few online retailers and this seems to generally ring true.  Since prices vary from state to state, sometimes it's cheaper to buy online and pay shipping then locally for me especially when tax is taken into account.

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

If you have the scratch the sweet spot for shipping tends to be 3-4 bottles. Lately I have bought a few things from a few online retailers and this seems to generally ring true.  Since prices vary from state to state, sometimes it's cheaper to buy online and pay shipping then locally for me especially when tax is taken into account.

3-4 bottles is what I've encountered too, in regards to getting the best bang for your buck with shipping. 4 bottle ordered placed today :D

Here is what I was looking at for the 10 Year Single Barrel & Contradiction around locally (they have a storefront and an online shop too). 

If I had bought these 2 locally I would have spent nearly as much as I just did at TWCP and I'm getting two more bottles. Thanks for the link. I am in your debt.

Cheers

58dadcc2343ee_ScreenShot2017-03-28at2_56_05PM.jpg.c903307ba6b300de8f059a88d06eda56.jpg

58dadccb9ef6c_ScreenShot2017-03-28at2_57_36PM.jpg.9eb2a118a78e24dfff804a013f9161b2.jpg:

Very cool, please let us know what you think about these two. Curious about the contradiction and I need to get another bottle of SAOS SB.

13 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Very cool, please let us know what you think about these two. Curious about the contradiction and I need to get another bottle of SAOS SB.

thanks for link good sir. Will do. Cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.