What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

JB BIB back there , too ?  You got one hell of a big dining room door, Harry.... :D

I sure hope my wife doesn't notice that I built shelves  IN  the table leafs leaning against the wall back there.  Three levels @ 4+ bottles each times three leafs . . .

This warmer weather has pushed me off my go-to OGD BIB and my ryes.  Craving wheateds (or even Bernheim) but am too lazy to walk downstairs and dig in the bunker.  Hence, I am finishing off a JB BIB that I found among my winter ryes behind the dining room door.

I need stashes like yours, behind the dining room door, garbage can by the lazy boy etc.

You sir are a pro.

Some Rebel Yell 10 Yr Single Barrel and then some 1792 Full Proof single barrel private select while watching Blues hockey. They won but didn't clinch a playoff spot yet because the Kings won as well.

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I sure hope my wife doesn't notice that I built shelves  IN  the table leafs leaning against the wall back there.  Three levels @ 4+ bottles each times three leafs . . .

Now THAT is expert level stashing right there!

Some Rebel Yell 10 Yr Single Barrel and then some 1792 Full Proof single barrel private select while watching Blues hockey. They won but didn't clinch a playoff spot yet because the Kings won as well.

They are in. It's just a matter of 3rd or 4th. LA is not going to win out.

Enjoying some 2013 LE single barrel from 4R. Oh man, i can't enough of that stuff, this is trully a masterpiece. Glad I grabbed two more for the bunker. 

I bought the last one at €149, far from retail but totally worth it. 

Cheers!

Will. 

I'm sitting around the house this afternoon waiting on a chair to be delivered that I found out wasn't even put on the truck today so admittedly I'm a little cranky. Even still, as I sit here sipping a HH6 90 proof (thanks Gary) I'm left thinking that this is my height stick bourbon. Craft producers need to be at least this high to ride my ride. What I mean is that this is a solid serviceable bourbon that I enjoy that is $10 a bottle. Why the hell would I pay $50+ a bottle for "craft" shelf turds that aren't even this good? Crafties, you have been so warned. That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a while since I had WTMK Decades so I'm starting with that one tonight - really loving this one and find it very complex

20 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I'm sitting around the house this afternoon waiting on a chair to be delivered that I found out wasn't even put on the truck today so admittedly I'm a little cranky. Even still, as I sit here sipping a HH6 90 proof (thanks Gary) I'm left thinking that this is my height stick bourbon. Craft producers need to be at least this high to ride my ride. What I mean is that this is a solid serviceable bourbon that I enjoy that is $10 a bottle. Why the hell would I pay $50+ a bottle for "craft" shelf turds that aren't even this good? Crafties, you have been so warned. That is all.

You are quite cranky lately.  I am obviously rubbing off on you.  I suppose your next move will be a 3 month sabbatical...  :D

Opened a bottle of Blanton's SFTB to share with another SBr then decided that would be my second pour tonight

Basically stood in front of the cabinet til something said "Drink Me".  That happened to be some Larceny, since I enjoy my wheat bourbons.  After that I was about ready to head upstairs when I heard a bottle of 4RSB whisper my name.  Not one to disappoint, I had a pour of that too.

8 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Enjoying some 2013 LE single barrel from 4R. Oh man, i can't enough of that stuff, this is trully a masterpiece. Glad I grabbed two more for the bunker. 

I bought the last one at €149, far from retail but totally worth it. 

Cheers!

Will. 

Small price to pay for a bottle that is as good as that one!! That is what got me hooked on bourbon in the first place. Love that stuff and still wish I had grabbed 2 more bottles myself when I had the chance. 

Started off with some SAOS SB tonight. Then went and played my 14y son in basketball and popped something in my foot. so now I'm on crouches and drinking some ECBP 139.4p. A little something to help the Advil.... 

6 hours ago, BigRich said:

I wholeheartedly support this position.

1 pour of OGD bonded emptied the bottle, 2 pours of Evan Williams.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Finally finished my bottle of Corti Bros Exquisite whiskey, a 7yo Kentucky bourbon finished for 8mos in Mission Del Sol wine barrels. It's not bad but I find the finish musky and off putting. It's a little tamer tonight, more like stale coffee than the usual strangeness I get from it.

12 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Finally finished my bottle of Corti Bros Exquisite whiskey, a 7yo Kentucky bourbon finished for 8mos in Mission Del Sol wine barrels. It's not bad but I find the finish musky and off putting. It's a little tamer tonight, more like stale coffee than the usual strangeness I get from it.

I always liked that one, in part because of that rancio character, but haven't tried it in a while. Need to pull it out and dust it off!

49 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I always liked that one, in part because of that rancio character, but haven't tried it in a while. Need to pull it out and dust it off!

Yes, I'd be interested to hear your current thoughts on this bottle. I don't know why I don't like that funkiness on the finish...I love the smell, and the start and middle of the palate are good, it's just the finish that gets me. It's not just this particular bottle, it's many wine-finished whiskeys, some vermouths, etc. Occasionally I get the same peculiar note in sherried whiskeys as well. You mention a rancio character, and I'm wondering if that's what I don't like, but that'd be odd because I enjoy older armagnacs that have what I perceive as rancio qualities.

I suppose I'll just have to do more research.

2 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Yes, I'd be interested to hear your current thoughts on this bottle. I don't know why I don't like that funkiness on the finish...I love the smell, and the start and middle of the palate are good, it's just the finish that gets me. It's not just this particular bottle, it's many wine-finished whiskeys, some vermouths, etc. Occasionally I get the same peculiar note in sherried whiskeys as well. You mention a rancio character, and I'm wondering if that's what I don't like, but that'd be odd because I enjoy older armagnacs that have what I perceive as rancio qualities.

I suppose I'll just have to do more research.

Indeed! Research is never ending.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:27 PM, beasled said:

John J Bowman SiB. The bottle just keeps getting better. 

Me too, tonite.  Wonderful caramel on the nose and palate.  Very easy drinking with a moderate finish.  Purty bottle, too.  Thanks you Virginia ABC stores.   :D

Kicked it off with the final pour from a dusty Kentucky Tavern 4 yr and then went to a store select BT

7 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Gentlemen, start your engines.

unnamed.jpg

That's the best bourbon for the money right now 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.