What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

47 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Kevinbrink was the one that found them online.

Kevin for the initial link. You for referencing it. 

Huzzah.

19 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Kevin for the initial link. You for referencing it. 

Huzzah.

No problem, I feel bad for the locals who don't know they should be buying these before we get to them.

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

No problem, I feel bad for the locals who don't know they should be buying these before we get to them.

I to took some from those locals and it is one of the best packages I've ever received in the mail

Having a good pour of WRDO SP. I'm not to big of a fan of the DO, but this SB is pretty good. Almost a throwback to the sweet taste that made me fall in love with WR when it first came out. 

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.6aaebccb2eadba0c9d158a8537afe49d.JPG

VOB BIB this bottle has been open a little while after only 1 pour and it is either much improved or my palate was off ( most likely that !!). Definitely planning to add more of these next month.

On 3/27/2017 at 7:07 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

Like Joe I'm a bit of a Weller snob but I've got to say that these KC Single Barrels are quickly climbing the list of my favorites. I've got 2 store selections that are outstanding. Awesome amount of flavor and a great smooth warm finish. 12 - 14 years must be the sweet spot for KC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

I found a few store selections locally for around 40 bucks. Planning on buying a few to compare and contrast with the standard. I've had this particular standard open now for close to two months and the air has definitely helped reign it in a bit and take a little zing out of the initial heat.

51 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

I found a few store selections locally for around 40 bucks. Planning on buying a few to compare and contrast with the standard. I've had this particular standard open now for close to two months and the air has definitely helped reign it in a bit and take a little zing out of the initial heat.

I've got a bottle that I bottled during our recent distillery tour.  Haven't opened it yet.  Hoping it is in the same league with the other two.  Yeah a single barrel store selection of KC for $40 is a steal in my book, especially if you can get an older barrel.

It was a beautiful night up in the mountains. So I had a large pour of EC12 as I was grilling dinner for the family. Once that was finished, had a quick night cap with a little HH6yrBIB. Now to bed for an early wake up call.

Having a nice pour of Booker's with a few drops of water. It doesn't taste as sweet as usual tonight, I'm actually getting a good amount of oak

24 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Having a nice pour of Booker's with a few drops of water. It doesn't taste as sweet as usual tonight, I'm actually getting a good amount of oak

That happens to me sometimes - bourbons that never taste oaky suddenly do, sometimes bitterly so. When this happens I give up and turn to OGD, my bad palate night proof bourbon of choice.

Tonight I'm drinking from this CEHT Single Barrel I've been nursing for a year or so. It's one of those exceptional bottles I don't want to end. If barrel info was available on this I'd have stocked up, it's that good. Given the cost, I'm always nervous with these because I've had average ones as well.

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Don't.

We already know... They weren't even putting them online for awhile, but the locals are pretty well stocked now.  Enjoy! :)

IMAG1773_1.jpg

Edited by 0895

^Thats a lot of SAOS, do you have what different ages and strengths there at I'm thinking about getting another one of these.

After the last two days of delivering annual reviews back to back all day I didn't have much time for online activity but I made time for bourbon - finished off a crock of Evan Williams Master Distillers Select and got close on a bottle of EWBIB.  One more review today and then it's back to the paperwork of submitting...

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^Thats a lot of SAOS, do you have what different ages and strengths there at I'm thinking about getting another one of these.

I've been collecting them for the last year.  10 & 11 years.

There's close to 20 different ones now.

I couldn't keep track after awhile, so I started photo-ing the barrel # of every one I bought to avoid duplication.

So to answer your question, no.... And they're burried in storage right now.

I only keep reference by barrel # as to how they taste.

The only recently available one I have tried that really stood heads above the rest is # 3633 (10 year, 60.1%) it's a caramel bomb.   I would order ones you don't have.  I've never really found a bad one, but tend to enjoy the 10 year slightly more than the 11's. :)

IMAG1828.jpg

^Thanks ok I've got a 11 year old will go with a 10 year next time assuming they still have it.

The real issue with ordering online is you never know if you will be getting a Sarah bottle or a James bottle.

The real issue with ordering online is you never know if you will be getting a Sarah bottle or a James bottle.

This particular store only had Sarah bottles in the sb

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Started with my second pour of CEHT Smb and now onto standard BT. Man, I'm really liking the CEHT so far and it's my first bottle. The BT is its reliable self and a nice companion to its higher proof counterpart.

Breaking the weekday wagon with a little Spec's 9 year old OESK 111 proof. Absolutely delicious.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:57 PM, kevinbrink said:

Thank you as well.  I ended up ordering a few bottles from them when I checked out the site.  Those prices were far below what I'm used to seeing.

This warmer weather has pushed me off my go-to OGD BIB and my ryes.  Craving wheateds (or even Bernheim) but am too lazy to walk downstairs and dig in the bunker.  Hence, I am finishing off a JB BIB that I found among my winter ryes behind the dining room door.

18 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

This warmer weather has pushed me off my go-to OGD BIB and my ryes.  Craving wheateds (or even Bernheim) but am too lazy to walk downstairs and dig in the bunker.  Hence, I am finishing off a JB BIB that I found among my winter ryes behind the dining room door.

JB BIB back there , too ?  You got one hell of a big dining room door, Harry.... :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.