What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Starting the night off with some Rhetoric 23y. My 1st  thought is, not as good as the 22y, but I have a lot of bottle left. We will see how it progresses. 

But its still good. 

I decided to take a break from hard to find stuff.  I usually stay away from 80 proofers, but the 4R "yellow label" had some positive reviews around here.  I have to say it's quite nice.  

Tonight we kicked off the weekend with some ECBP B517 which I cannot put down! Damn bottle is almost gone and I just opened it last week. After that, I saw about 4 or 5 Wild Turkeys today so I figured someone must be telling me something. So some WTRB was pour next and I plan on going to bed shortly a happy man.

6 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Enjoying WTKS. This is delicious. Glad I have this bottle 

Never seen that bottle here in Texas. Hear it is great!

Edited by NDN98

Wild Turkey night here in St. Charles, MO. WT101 followed by a WTKS - nightcap WT Forgiven. Good times. Have a good weekend all.

Kentucky Spirit is widely distributed. Keep on the lookout. This particular bottle , is a one off for me. A dusty 2002 bottle I found. 

That W12 you have is a super pour   , enjoy. 

Cheers

I enjoyed some Woodford Reserve last night while watching Max Scherzer carve up the Mets.

13 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

It's hard to beat for the money, one of my favorites 

IMG_4317.JPG

It is a good one.

18 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Ironic that I'm posting this after our self proclaimed Weller Whore's post........having the last of a 2010 WLW. Beyond wonderful

You always have been a tease Gary.  -_-

Cheers! Joe

Enjoying the summertime in good company! 

Cheers! 

Will. 

IMG_8446.JPG

It's been a while since I've been on SB, and I've been catching up this afternoon.  Reading about bourbon always leads to drinking bourbon, and I pulled a somewhat random selection of stuff off the shelf, doing a sort-of side-by-side comparison of four bourbons:  Four Roses Small Batch, Forged Oak, 1792 Sweet Wheat, and Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve (an old bottle of 10yo 101 proof).

Going from the FRSmB to the Forged Oak, my observations were that the FO had a really nice nose, but much less impact on the tongue than the FRSmB.  The FRSmB was a pretty powerful whiskey, and coming off of that, the FO seemed pretty light.  I kept looking for flavor components that didn't seem to materialize.  Going from that to the 1792 Sweet Wheat, while it didn't hit me hard with strong character, it sure was a pleasant and easy-drinking bourbon.  It went down really easily (and really fast), and my thought was, "this is nice!"  Going from that to the WTRR 10yo, now we're back to a bourbon with strong character!  The higher proof no doubt contributes, but i suspect that even at a lower proof this would still be a powerful and robust whiskey.

So, the FO and WTRR 10yo are in the "when it's gone, its gone" category.  The FO is not bad, but I'm not distraught about not being able to get more of it---also, for what it cost and for what it is, it was over-priced.  I got my bottle of 1792 Sweet Wheat fairly early on, and I haven't been paying much attention, so I don't know whether it is still available or even if it is going to be a regular part of the Barton product line.  Four Roses, at least, is readily available and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, although I think the Single Barrel, rather than the Small Batch, is going to be one of my long-term go-to bourbons.

Finished the first episode of the Ranch season 2, makes me want to have a drink, Henry McKenna 10 yo in a Jack Daniels tumbler (kind of) is perfect way to finish the night.

Like the tv show Justified, every time I'm watching a episode, I feel the urge to have a drink, hopefully I'm watching one episode at the time, can you imagine if if I'm watching the whole season in one night. 

Cheers! 

Will.

It's hard to beat for the money, one of my favorites 
IMG_4317.thumb.JPG.fdf29abe9ce92fbe8efbcdafd5bc664b.JPG

Spending the weekend at the lake and this was my pour of choice too. Some good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting the evening (after a lazy Saturday--well needed), with Rebel Yell 10 year, almost finished off my first bottle, which was from last years release (bottled 9/2005).  I have enjoyed this bourbon, but perhaps not loved it.  I have found that air time over the year I've had it has helped integrate the flavors.  Cheers!

Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain after driving back and forth to Danbury, CT today for granddaughter #3's first birthday party.  Had a bit too much VCP NV to celebrate daughter #2's birthday and our 40th wedding anniversary tomorrow so I had to take a nap before driving home.  The OGD114/WSR vat is working wonders to my sense of well-being.  Also brought home some brisket and pulled pork sans sauce from Hoodoo Brown BBQ in Ridgefield, CT.  A fitting companion to the Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain, IMHO.   ;) 

Uncle Kevin and granddaughter #1 in the background playing some sort of uber-competitive game - she's only 5 and already a fierce competitor!    :wacko:

Gracie's First Birthday .jpg

Edited by GeeTen
Pic added

Woodford on the plane. 

Final leg about to depart so I'll have another once airborne. 

Thanx for posting that Pic of the family, GeeTen!    Loox like everybody is having a blast!     God for y'all!      I love seeing folx enjoying family time.    That's what life's all about, eh?

1 hour ago, JGriff said:

Russell's Reserve 10.  Such a great pour.  

IMG_2458.JPG

It sure is

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.