What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OFBIB while removing a window regulator in the car. New parts ordered so I can put it back together next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last pours from a 1792 FP Batch 1 and a MMCS .375ml Batch 1.   Both yummy, giving way to KCSB single barrel and Stagg Jr.  129.5.

10 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Last pours from a 1792 FP Batch 1 and a MMCS .375ml Batch 1.   Both yummy, giving way to KCSB single barrel and Stagg Jr.  129.5.

Now that right there is one helluva lineup El Vino. ^_^ Enjoy!

Cheers! Joe

38 minutes ago, El Vino said:

What the ?  This might be the lineup of the night!  

I'm on the strong side tonight as well.  Started with Aberlour A'Bunadh(yes I know :lol:), then MMCS PS and now my Stagg Jr/ OC8yr vatting.  Watching game 6 Stanley Cup, pulling for the Preds!

Opened my recently acquired RY 10 year single barrel this weekend.

Spent about a half hour with it this afternoon, trying to figure it out.

Despite wavering opinions (good and bad), I'm happy I picked this up.

The freshly opened bottle has light citrus & honeysuckle? aromas,  ... and makes me think of delicate women's perfume in a way.

I know that sounds stupid, but it reminds me of fragrance that my wife would probably wear.

Anyway, the initial taste is soft in a typical wheated bourbon kind of way.  But there's no youth here.  The age of the juice comes into the middle of the sip with quite a bit of body.

There is some complexity and time in there, along with nice vanilla and caramel wrapping the whole thing up and a medium low burn going down.

While quite easily drinkable neat, I also found that water did really well with this one, cutting the slight bite of the alcohol and allowing the flavors to take their respective places in line.

Like most "wheaters" for me, I think this will only get better with some air in the bottle.

At $45-$50, this is probably priced appropriately in today's market.

IMAG2082_1.jpg

Edited by 0895

If only the RY 10 was priced at $45-$50 in many markets. It's over $75 around here, and according to many sources the suggested retail price for the second batch is $70. I won't buy anymore if the pricing stays at that level. Another SB poster stated that he knew of a store in Chattanooga that had 10 bottles sitting on the shelf at the new price in Tennessee. I was gullible enough to buy a second batch bottle at the new higher pricing because I wanted to compare it to the first batch bottle that I bought at some point, but I won't buy another unless it's as good or better than RVW10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a nice weekend so went top shelf quite a bit tonight: one pour each of EC18, Lot B, OF1920, and now ER17 to close it out.

Last night after watching my U of L Card's qualify for the College World Series I had some SAOS Single Barrel PS followed by MM46 PS.  Tonight started with some Johnny Drum and then followed it with some OF Single Barrel PS and finished up with Pure Kentucky.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

If only the RY 10 was priced at $45-$50 in many markets. It's over $75 around here, and according to many sources the suggested retail price for the second batch is $70. I won't buy anymore if the pricing stays at that level. Another SB poster stated that he knew of a store in Chattanooga that had 10 bottles sitting on the shelf at the new price in Tennessee. I was gullible enough to buy a second batch bottle at the new higher pricing because I wanted to compare it to the first batch bottle that I bought at some point, but I won't buy another unless it's as good or better than RVW10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the RY10 at the price I paid ($45), but can't imagine paying $70+ for it.

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Had a nice weekend so went top shelf quite a bit tonight: one pour each of EC18, Lot B, OF1920, and now ER17 to close it out.

That's a sweet line-up for one night!  I'll bet you sleep tonight with a smile on your face - ha!

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

This guy. Still an outstanding pour.

You said it Jeffrey. Cheers to ya'!  Wish I could join you. I only have a couple of those left. Saving them for down the road.

Instead, after a long, hot but semi-productive day at work, I'm having a couple of pours of ER. Same as it ever was. :P

Cheers! Joe

Set these up for a comparison. Interested how the 12yr compares to the 10yr picks.

437d5fa989677af8767ce1b38293ec5b.jpg

Not a good start for the standard 12 yr.

2124680c6d9ccbfa1db22b7d91d183ba.jpg

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Nice happy bday.

Thanks! JJB is a nice bottle if you haven't tried it. As you likely know, you can find it at the same place you got your EC Select Barrel.

interestingly, Refuge in The Woodlands offers a locker service. You get a "discount" on the bottles you buy and the locker is $500/year. I tried to order a 4 Grain from the bar and they told me that bottle was allocated to those that have the locker service. Clearly they hold the ultra premium stuff for those that buy the locker service.

image.jpeg

Thanks! JJB is a nice bottle if you haven't tried it. As you likely know, you can find it at the same place you got your EC Select Barrel.

interestingly, Refuge in The Woodlands offers a locker service. You get a "discount" on the bottles you buy and the locker is $500/year. I tried to order a 4 Grain from the bar and they told me that bottle was allocated to those that have the locker service. Clearly they hold the ultra premium stuff for those that buy the locker service.

image.thumb.jpeg.3da6bddb8bf482032ba96cb59d2be7f7.jpeg

Interesting wonder if the discount on bottles and pricing/offering for LE stuff make it worthwhile. If I was a private business owner in the area that often needs to entertain guests would definitely consider as a business write off.

Results of my EC 10yr store selects vs. the 12 yr. The poison girl one on the left was my least favorite. It was close on the other two but I think I enjoyed the nose and palate and finish on the middle One Fifth 10yr barrel over the standard 12. If they weren't SBS doubt I wouldn't of noticed much of a difference.

Maybe not surprisingly had a small pour of my recent bottle of HMcK SB and enjoyed much more than the other three.

Conclusion, will try more EC store picks as I see them but won't go out of my way to get them and in no rush to pick up another EC12. Even if the HMcK SB are more of a gamble vs. EC12.

e8b13b8221711559aa66f7388333bee9.jpg

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Interesting wonder if the discount on bottles and pricing/offering for LE stuff make it worthwhile. If I was a private business owner in the area that often needs to entertain guests would definitely consider as a business write off.

Agreed. I'd even consider it if I didn't have kids, especially if I had a friend to split it with. Otherwise, there's no way I can get over there enough to get my money's worth, even if it is practically down the street.

Agreed. I'd even consider it if I didn't have kids, especially if I had a friend to split it with. Otherwise, there's no way I can get over there enough to get my money's worth, even if it is practically down the street.

This as well if I had one or two friends to go in on this and this was a spot we went to once a week or so I'd definitely consider.

The bar liquor locker reminds me of stories from guys who worked in Utah back in the 80s.

Just reading about the lockers. Is that The Woodlands TX? If so I lived there about 20 yrs ago in Panther Creek. Really interesting place and it seems even more so now.

Back on topic I enjoyed the remnants of a bottle of OFBIB this evening

Had a Beam double oak and now a WT101 as the Tribe takes on Kershaw. Good game so far Roll Tribe.

57 minutes ago, Hop said:

Just reading about the lockers. Is that The Woodlands TX? If so I lived there about 20 yrs ago in Panther Creek. Really interesting place and it seems even more so now.

That's the one. They built the new Exxon campus just south of us and the real estate value increased more than 50%. With that came a lot of new restaurants, bars, and shopping areas. It's a great place to raise a family. We're not too far from Panther Creek actually.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.