What beer are you drinking? Spring 2017

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks, that's good to know. I always pass up the Lagavulin cask in favor of the calvados, but I'll grab one of each next time

I checked online stock of my local TW they have the Lagsvulin and sherry but no calvados. Of course I'm most interested in the calvados.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, Kpiz said:

Tonight I'm drinking a JW Lees Harvest Ale aged in calvados casks. I don't get much calvados influence specifically but there does seem to be some barrel influence. I love the earthiness in this, which I don't get from any other beer.

I have a bunch of the JW Lees sitting around that are Calvados, Lagavulin, Sherry and Port (I think), some of which are from the mid 2000's I would guess.

At this point it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to drink them... B)

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have a bunch of the JW Lees sitting around that are Calvados, Lagavulin, Sherry and Port (I think), some of which are from the mid 2000's I would guess.

Just prior to reaching that point...you should call me to come over!  :D

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That would be one heck of a tasting. My interest in these started a few years back when I went to a local barrel-aged beer festival/tasting and they had some older JW Lees Calvados cask. I still have the email they sent out and it looks like they had a 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010. They were all excellent and the older ones seemed to have a slightly more pronounced earthiness that I really like in these. Unfortunately I think they only had the 2010 for sale at the time.

I'm also just realizing now that I drank a 2011 and not a 2012. Oops! I should dig through that beer box and see what years I actually have in there.

Sitting at the pool with some small cans of Founders All Day and New Belgium Dayblazer (solid but innocuous ale). What's getting attention from the other beer folks here is the crowler of Narrow Gauge J.U.I.C.E. One of the top double IPA's in St. Louis, just fantastic stuff. Non filtered, excellent balance and great hop flavor throughout.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I picked up one of those Avery Tequilacerbus as well. Haven't popped it but I'm rarely disappointed by Avery.

I grabbed one as well, but unless this blows me away I'm done with their barrel aged sours. $12 for 12oz should be outstanding at worst and several of their past 4-5 sours weren't close. I wince at Side Project at 30-40 for a 750ml but those have been insanely good. Avery just isn't cutting it of late price/value wise.

I grabbed one as well, but unless this blows me away I'm done with their barrel aged sours. $12 for 12oz should be outstanding at worst and several of their past 4-5 sours weren't close. I wince at Side Project at 30-40 for a 750ml but those have been insanely good. Avery just isn't cutting it of late price/value wise.

Just had this I really enjoyed it but didn't notice anything from the tequila barrel aging. That being said can anyone recommend a solid sour ale?

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Just had this I really enjoyed it but didn't notice anything from the tequila barrel aging. That being said can anyone recommend a solid sour ale?

tartastic great summer beer

tartastic great summer beer

Thanks, Great choice but not sure if it's available in my area. Will see if I can find it.

Depends on what type of sour you're looking for, but Rodenbach Grand Cru is pretty widely available, reasonably priced, and delicious.

I'm willing to pay for some of their unusual barrel-aged beers (PumpKYn), but if I start having beers from them that are below excellent, I'll start scaling back my Avery purchases as well. I've only had a couple of their sours so far so I haven't made a full assessment. I guess that's the double edged sword of their high prices...they can potentially make more money but they set the bar pretty high for themselves.

I don't think I've seen Side Project beers around here. I wonder if they distribute this far yet.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, smokinjoe said:

Just prior to reaching that point...you should call me to come over!  :D

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:33 PM, Kpiz said:

That would be one heck of a tasting. My interest in these started a few years back when I went to a local barrel-aged beer festival/tasting and they had some older JW Lees Calvados cask. I still have the email they sent out and it looks like they had a 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010. They were all excellent and the older ones seemed to have a slightly more pronounced earthiness that I really like in these. Unfortunately I think they only had the 2010 for sale at the time.

I'm also just realizing now that I drank a 2011 and not a 2012. Oops! I should dig through that beer box and see what years I actually have in there.

I have returned from my whirlwind tour of London and Paris and checked my "stash" of JW Lees.

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Calvados Cask 2006 x2

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Lagavulin Cask 2006 x2s, 2008 2x

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Port Cask 2005 4x, 2010 x4

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Sherry Cask 2011 x4

So who is ready for a "beer sampler"...

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have returned from my whirlwind tour of London and Paris and checked my "stash" of JW Lees.

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Calvados Cask 2006 x2

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Lagavulin Cask 2006 x2s, 2008 2x

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Port Cask 2005 4x, 2010 x4

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Sherry Cask 2011 x4

So who is ready for a "beer sampler"...

I am!! Although in reality I probably won't be able to attend, if you make this happen I hope you'll post notes here so I can at least pretend I was there.

I forgot to check which JW Lees I have but will try to remember to do so tonight. I think the oldest stuff I have is from 2010 or so. I bet those 2006 Calvados Cask bottles are going to be really tasty.

BTW - welcome back! Looking forward to hearing about the interesting bottles you brought back.

9 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I am!! Although in reality I probably won't be able to attend, if you make this happen I hope you'll post notes here so I can at least pretend I was there.

I forgot to check which JW Lees I have but will try to remember to do so tonight. I think the oldest stuff I have is from 2010 or so. I bet those 2006 Calvados Cask bottles are going to be really tasty.

BTW - welcome back! Looking forward to hearing about the interesting bottles you brought back.

Once I figure out what time zone I am in again I will try to get them organized. I was pretty conservative this trip as I only brought back 8 bottles. Of course that is not counting the three 100ml Chartreuse Elixir Vegetal bottles or the personally blended bottle of Compass Box I did with Paul and a couple of others at John Glaser's office that in my case featured a 24ish year old Port Dundas grain whisky as the base. I liked it but it probably needed a touch more oomph to punch it up. Can't remember what Paul whipped up but it was definitely different and probably better! Oh, and the two from duty free but those don't really count, right? :D

One of those JW Lee Calvados bottles could possibly find a way into my luggage this fall. One suitcase is going to be basically empty going that way anyway!

Just got another fresh assortment of VT hops this weekend. Spent the 4th drinking Side project, hill farmstead, and Pipeworks

One of those JW Lee Calvados bottles could possibly find a way into my luggage this fall. One suitcase is going to be basically empty going that way anyway!

That would be great! No pressure of course.

I checked my stash and I have a 2011 Calvados cask, a few 2012 Calvados cask, and then a couple 2002 Harvest Ales that don't appear to have been barrel aged. The non-barrel aged ones could be a good control to compare against the aged ones and see what kind of flavors it added. I also can't remember where I got those and it seems odd that they're so old.

I think I have a Sherry cask one hanging around here somewhere too but my beer stash is a bit out of control at the moment.

You guys please stop posting these great beers I see this stuff and have to try for myself.

I'm enjoying this, maybe a bit too sweet for my taste, wish I picked up the Lagavulin as well.

afac504b6c5147d2b655d9a68334038f.jpg

You guys please stop posting these great beers I see this stuff and have to try for myself.

I'm enjoying this, maybe a bit too sweet for my taste, wish I picked up the Lagavulin as well.

afac504b6c5147d2b655d9a68334038f.jpg

Yum. Yeah they run a little on the sweet side but for some reason it doesn't bother me in this beer. Let it sit for a few more years and the sweetness might dampen a bit!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Lagavulin cask as well

Had this a few days ago while on vacation in Scotland

P1100443.JPG

P1100444.JPG

Just three days of work this week, but got a lot done.  So sittin' back to start the weekend with a Hi-Wire lo-pitch IPA.  

image.jpg

Found this on the clearance shelf...not bad, Id buy it again. 1923c3d3dacf6f5b7e42ff9129c517c6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bought a gift pack from these guys. Decided to start with this one. Very good1499560668829514629690.thumb.jpg.790a4b7995ff338e4f4e36820bc89732.jpg

Well this was terrible. Tasted like stale water , first beer I dumped in a while. First impulse buy in a while. No wonder they where pushing this next to the register. I really like all the Sculpin varieties but now hesitant to pick up any other Ballast point brands.

2f328a0e8bc1491752288b12c4066cb8.jpg

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Well this was terrible. Tasted like stale water , first beer I dumped in a while. First impulse buy in a while. No wonder they where pushing this next to the register. I really like all the Sculpin varieties but now hesitant to pick up any other Ballast point brands.

2f328a0e8bc1491752288b12c4066cb8.jpg

Have not seen that one around. Did you check the date on it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.