What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My best local is Indian owned, and they are absolutely the most friendly and thoughtful folks I deal with...., and I deal with a lot of people. 

But wait, maybe they are Pakistani!  :lol:

5 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Yes, I agree but it wasn't my place to make that point for you. I was pointing out that the wording of the original post was more overtly  inviting a discussion on racism and that the follow up comments were potentially based on that post. 

I made the original post - and edited it.  I didn't have the intention of making it a discussion on racism.  Was just venting about what appears to be price gouging by one particular group. 

Edited by starhopper

11 minutes ago, starhopper said:

I made the original post - and edited it.  I didn't have the intention of making it a discussion on racism.  Was just venting about what appears to be price gouging by one particular group.  If the stores were all owned by "white" people, and I made the same observation, would I be called a racist?  Probably not, because I am assumed to be white by the readers (and my profile photo helps too) lol.

If one went to the trouble to point out that they were being gouged by 'white' owned stores (with no discussion of any of the other stores owned by any other race or creed that are doing the same thing), and then that individual went on to point out that 'they've' (meaning the white store owners) have probably never even tasted bourbon... then yeah, I'd say that the writer may have opened himself up to be called, by some, a racist.

But that's just me...:)

3 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Damn honkies

now I"M offended........

Are you guys trying to stop the inevitable rise of bourbon in the huge untapped India market?

I think the past two pages is a clever scheme by frustrated bourbon nerds to alienate the potential India market. You guys have succeeded.

I passed on some wa107 the other day at 100 dollars when many stores have it for less than 25. Back on track?

I passed on some wa107 the other day at 100 dollars when many stores have it for less than 25. Back on track?

That'll do.

Passed on $300 bottle of Four Roses LE Small Batch from a previous year.

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I didn't see the original post as you describe, as it was apparently edited before I viewed it.  Regardless, my comment of agreement with Spade's comment is based on even the edited version where he specifically is directing his self proclaimed "rant" at Indian-owned stores.  

I didn't see what I guess was a different original post either, and as it was described,  then I can see where the other guys who saw the original post came to their conclusion.  My point was that India is a nation-state, and people that live there or originate from there are not a race.   But some people obviously make that leap.

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Are you guys trying to stop the inevitable rise of bourbon in the huge untapped India market?

I think the past two pages is a clever scheme by frustrated bourbon nerds to alienate the potential India market. You guys have succeeded.

Dang, you're on to us.  Hehe

My first liquor stop in Florida (between Orlando and Tampa) had both Stagg Jr. and Blanton's... for $90. They also had Four Roses Small Batch for $45. I buy that for $21.79 at home.  I wasn't even in a "touristy" area.

Passed on ETL $149.99?????

They have to be out of their freaking mind, no way I would pay that.

Is there another release of Barterhouse and Forged Oak? I'm seeing this pop up again. 

2 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Is there another release of Barterhouse and Forged Oak? I'm seeing this pop up again. 

Yes, TX got flooded with another allotment a couple of weeks ago, along with the Rhetoric 23 release. I jokingly asked the guy that sold me my Rhetoric 23 if that meant another release of Lost Prophet or Old Blowhard would hit the market. He responded with a pretty definitive "No, I don't think so."

I was cruising some rough neighborhood stores today and saw, on the top shelf, ORVW and a Lot B. There was no price on the shelf so my spidey sense was already tingling but part of me just wanted to believe it might be possible for those bottles - anywhere close to retail - were too expensive for that store's customers. So I asked the clerk, and she got the owner, and sure enough - $400 for the ORVW and $650 for the Lot B. I said "little high for me, but thanks anyway" and started to walk. He asked "what do you think it's worth?" so I said the most I would pay for the Lot B would be $250. He scoffed and said that he had paid $300 for it and maybe I should do some research. I told him I could get them on the secondary all day for $350 and $450 each if I wanted but the ones I had at home were $100 each from other local stores. No reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECBP B517 made it to Iowa $60, but passing on it.

I picked two up this weekend for $52 each and have to say - it's damn good stuff.

3 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Yes, TX got flooded with another allotment a couple of weeks ago, along with the Rhetoric 23 release. I jokingly asked the guy that sold me my Rhetoric 23 if that meant another release of Lost Prophet or Old Blowhard would hit the market. He responded with a pretty definitive "No, I don't think so."

I saw about 8 of each Barterhouse and Rhetoric 23 at a Binny's outside of Chicago (Oakbrook) so I would say it's likely that a bunch just went out, I picked up a barterhouse for myself.

46 minutes ago, KrispinD said:

I was cruising some rough neighborhood stores today and saw, on the top shelf, ORVW and a Lot B. There was no price on the shelf so my spidey sense was already tingling but part of me just wanted to believe it might be possible for those bottles - anywhere close to retail - were too expensive for that store's customers. So I asked the clerk, and she got the owner, and sure enough - $400 for the ORVW and $650 for the Lot B. I said "little high for me, but thanks anyway" and started to walk. He asked "what do you think it's worth?" so I said the most I would pay for the Lot B would be $250. He scoffed and said that he had paid $300 for it and maybe I should do some research. I told him I could get them on the secondary all day for $350 and $450 each if I wanted but the ones I had at home were $100 each from other local stores. No reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even $250 is crazy for Lot B, in my opinion. I would take ORVW10 over it, and I wouldn't pay $250 for that either. Or $150. 

20 hours ago, KrispinD said:

I picked two up this weekend for $52 each and have to say - it's damn good stuff.

Just curious,  did you try the A117. If so, how do they compare in your opinion.?

Just curious,  did you try the A117. If so, how do they compare in your opinion.?

I haven't - the only other one I've gotten my hands on was batch 11 (139.4 proof). I haven't don't a side by side, but think I might prefer this new release.

On 6/16/2017 at 7:00 AM, JT3NSB said:

Old Rip 25 at $2500  - not as bad of a gouge as i may have expected...

IMG_8475.JPG

Interesting turn of events here.    I had to think about it for a day or so, but decided I wanted to take a chance at buying this.  Went back in Saturday to talk to the owner.  Now that I am standing in front of him with intent and means to purchase, he says "you misunderstood me, add a zero" wait, what?   25K you are asking?  he says yes.  Was very arrogant about it. I took a few runs at it and he wouldnt budge I told him he was crazy and left.   

I'm pretty sure BT wouldn't be too happy about the antics of this store owner.   Its in Ann Arbor, MI.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.