What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

did they also list who bottled each selection??  

Whasamatta Derek? :huh: You have a "thang" for Sarah too? ;)

Cheers! Joe

sa.jpeg

Kinda wish I hadnt passed on this tho it was pricey for KCSB. I was told that the barrel was picked by the man himself, Vlad Putin!

image0000002.jpg

Kinda wish I hadnt passed on this tho it was pricey for KCSB. I was told that the barrel was picked by the man himself, Vlad Putin!
image0000002.thumb.jpg.84b12ffe638a9680142850813e37c189.jpg

^Love it.

2 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

image0000002.jpg

There are so many ways you could go with this.  I will just stick with if it was hand selected by the man, he would have needed help holding it since he has small hands. :lol:

21 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

did they also list who bottled each selection??  

They did not list who bottled, but the bottles and cases were all there sitting to be viewed.  Some were bottled by Sarah.

On 6/13/2017 at 7:53 AM, JTaylor said:

ONE????

Traveling, so have limited suitcase space.

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Whasamatta Derek? :huh: You have a "thang" for Sarah too? ;)

Cheers! Joe

I've always had a thing for girls named Sarah...

Passed on RYSB10 for $129.00 and ECBP Batch 11 for $139.00.  RIDICULOUS prices.  ALL (but one) of the Indian owned shops in Middle Georgia jack up their prices and try to tell you that "it's a good deal, very good bourbon my friend".  Well, they are not MY friends, and these aren't good deals.  I doubt any one of them has even taken a sip of bourbon, so doubt they can actual say it's very good.

The ONLY Indian owned store that doesn't do this is "Top Shelf Liquors" in Warner Robins, GA.  He charges fair prices and doesn't play games.  He also doesn't harass you if you just browse and don't buy.  Every time I go into this one store, "Mission Liquors" in Warner Robins, the wife of the owner ALWAYS reminds me that when she sold me three bottles of RYSB10 for $49 each 6 months ago, she lost money on the deal. Well, lady, then you shouldn't have sold them to me for $49 each!  I didn't put a gun to your head. I walked in there today and they had RYSB10 on the shelf and I asked her how much it was - and she proceeded to tell me it was expensive (never told me the price) and that she lost money on me the last time.  I won't be going back to THAT store, EVER!

OK, I'm, done ranting. :angry:

Edited by starhopper

That sounds like a frustrating experience with the Rebel Yell. But I don't see how the race or nationality of the owner matters.

49 minutes ago, Spade said:

That sounds like a frustrating experience with the Rebel Yell. But I don't see how the race or nationality of the owner matters.

Neither do I...

In order to prevent being harrassed when I go into a store & then walk out empty-handed a couple minutes later, Im always prepared to ask them for something they dont have.

"Can i help you? You didnt find anything you like?"

"Im looking for EHT 4G, do you have it? No? Well thanks anyway"

They usually say nothing more because they know they have a shitty selection & Im not looking for Fireball.

53 minutes ago, mwmac said:

Rhetoric 23.  Went home with Henry McKenna BIB 10 yr.

For the $, that is a tough bottle to beat.

1 minute ago, NDN98 said:

For the $, that is a tough bottle to beat.

$125 for the Rhetoric, $30 for the McKenna, easy choice for me.

1 minute ago, mwmac said:

$125 for the Rhetoric, $30 for the McKenna, easy choice for me.

I just bought my first bottle of the Henry McKenna 10 a couple of weeks ago and have been very impressed with it.  I will certainly be buying a 2nd bottle when this one is gone.

16 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

I just bought my first bottle of the Henry McKenna 10 a couple of weeks ago and have been very impressed with it.  I will certainly be buying a 2nd bottle when this one is gone.

Why Wait!!!!??????

45 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

I picked up my first bottle last week. Looking forward to trying it soon.

@starhopper

i understand your frustration, but this isn't about race. The majority of the independently owned liquor stores that I frequent are Indian owned, and a select few are Asian owned. Three in particular have taken care of me like no one else could. I've got one guy that can absolutely pull a rabbit out of his hat for certain bottles. Another one puts bottles aside for me when I know he probably has more regular customers.

LS owners are a unique bunch. You'll meet assholes of all stripes, and you'll also meet people that value the relationship with their customers. Any race can comprehend this concept.

i wish you better luck going forward.

7 hours ago, Spade said:

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Neither do I...

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

@starhopper

i understand your frustration, but this isn't about race. The majority of the independently owned liquor stores that I frequent are Indian owned, and a select few are Asian owned. Three in particular have taken care of me like no one else could. I've got one guy that can absolutely pull a rabbit out of his hat for certain bottles. Another one puts bottles aside for me when I know he probably has more regular customers.

LS owners are a unique bunch. You'll meet assholes of all stripes, and you'll also meet people that value the relationship with their customers. Any race can comprehend this concept.

i wish you better luck going forward.

Funny, I didn't see anything in starhopper's post that mentioned race.  Interesting how some people read things into what people say or write...

I was picking up take out for my daughter on my way home from work and stopped in a store that never has anything beyond the commons on the shelf. As I was looking over the usuals, I saw a bottle of ECBP behind the counter. As I made my way over I saw a big, bold price tag proudly stating $149.99. I didn't even bother to ask to see the bottle to check if it was A117 or B517. Just asked if that was the correct price, got the affirmative and shook my head as I walked out. 

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Funny, I didn't see anything in starhopper's post that mentioned race.  Interesting how some people read things into what people say or write...

I apologize if my memory is wrong, but I believe his original post began with something along the lines of "I'm not sure if this sounds racist but..." before he described his experiences in Indian owned stores. He directly asked for responses on whether his post had a racist element to it. He later edited the post and I don't see that intro anymore. If I am remembering the original post incorrectly, I'm sorry and I'll delete this post. We don't get into race topics often (really, never) on this board and I realize I am extending the discussion, but your comment makes more sense only if you did not see the original post. 

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I apologize if my memory is wrong, but I believe his original post began with something along the lines of "I'm not sure if this sounds racist but..." before he described his experiences in Indian owned stores. He directly asked for responses on whether his post had a racist element to it. He later edited the post and I don't see that intro anymore. If I am remembering the original post incorrectly, I'm sorry and I'll delete this post. We don't get into race topics often (really, never) on this board and I realize I am extending the discussion, but your comment makes more sense only if you did not see the original post. 

I didn't see the original post as you describe, as it was apparently edited before I viewed it.  Regardless, my comment of agreement with Spade's comment is based on even the edited version where he specifically is directing his self proclaimed "rant" at Indian-owned stores.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I didn't see the original post as you describe, as it was apparently edited before I viewed it.  Regardless, my comment of agreement with Spade's comment is based on even the edited version where he specifically is directing his self proclaimed "rant" at Indian-owned stores.  

Yes, I agree but it wasn't my place to make that point for you. I was pointing out that the wording of the original post was more overtly  inviting a discussion on racism and that the follow up comments were potentially based on that post. 

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Yes, I agree but it wasn't my place to make that point for you. I was pointing out that the wording of the original post was more overtly  inviting a discussion on racism and that the follow up comments were potentially based on that post. 

Hey, "You white guys all look the same to me!" (can I say that????)   :rolleyes:

But I'll share my uber-expensive Unicorn bourbon with all y'all any time, anywhere (except for my 2016 Yamazaki Sherry Cask, maybe).   ;)

Don't pass on much these days, 'cause I can't afford anything anyways (heh, heh).

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling, of course.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.