What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/24/2017 at 8:23 PM, HoustonNit said:

I her ya, but I've got a bottle and was in there a few months ago and they had this, so no rush.

Nice score on the ECBP.

I probably would have bought 3 at $45. We had it at a couple stores here for $53 or so which I think is a good price as well but I passed on it because of some less than good reviews, I've since had it a few times at bars and it's great - only problem I haven't seen a bottle of it here in a couple months now. Should have grabbed it when I had the chance.

Lowest price I can find it online (that ships to my state) is $70 + shipping, so I'm holding out hope that my local store gets some in when the next batch is released. 

On 5/25/2017 at 7:00 PM, PowderKeg said:

RY 10yr for $150....   I only stop by these Bourbon pimps for a laugh, which I did to their faces.  Was still just polite enough though and put the box back on the shelf with the other 5.

That is an insane price.  I like the RY10, but it isn't $150 good

Yesterday saw a bottle of EC BP for $99. I was thinking it was pretty high. They I scanned across a bottle of EC12, which was also $99. I did a double then triple take. The EC NAS was $26 (I believe). I went back home and had a dram of 4RSmB. 

I passed on Blanton's at $57, CEHTSmB at $35, and Old Ripy & B&L for under $50. The first 2 are starting to become pretty regularly available. They also had a bunch of last year's Booker's batches for under $50 but this year's were $60+.

Passed on CEHT BP for $129 and 1792 Sweet Wheat for $55, however ended up finding a CEHT BP for $80 that I didn't pass on and an ETL for $40 that I tried to pass on but ended up grabbing hoping the third time is the charm. The other two bottles I had were nothing special, and one of the two was really kind of bad.

Passed on CEHT BP for $129 and 1792 Sweet Wheat for $55, however ended up finding a CEHT BP for $80 that I didn't pass on and an ETL for $40 that I tried to pass on but ended up grabbing hoping the third time is the charm. The other two bottles I had were nothing special, and one of the two was really kind of bad.

I thought $129 for CEHT BP was high until I saw two on the shelf today for $199.99. Needless to say, I passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not interested even at that price.

fca4e4d7d153397734b9f2a6f02bb535.jpg

Hmmmm....I've passed on it at $99, but I'd probably give it a whirl at that price. I'm actually hoping it sits on the shelf a while at the store that had it so maybe I can pick it up in that price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I passed on Old Ripy for $42.  Cheapest I have seen it, but reviews have not been good.  Plus, it comes in 375 mL bottles, so that is a pretty expensive bourbon considering it is 1/2 the size of a normal bottle.

6 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Hmmmm....I've passed on it at $99, but I'd probably give it a whirl at that price. I'm actually hoping it sits on the shelf a while at the store that had it so maybe I can pick it up in that price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TW prices for National brands are pretty sticky downwards - part of their business model is to sell at close to cost for many spirits (loss leader).  Just make sure you try before you buy any "Spirits Direct" brand liquors . . . . . ;)

TW prices for National brands are pretty sticky downwards - part of their business model is to sell at close to cost for many spirits (loss leader).  Just make sure you try before you buy any "Spirits Direct" brand liquors . . . . . [emoji6]

No such thing as TW in Tennessee and you can't have whiskey shipped into the state, so TW prices are irrelevant. Liquor stores cannot be owned by corporations in TN.

No such thing as TW in Tennessee and you can't have whiskey shipped into the state, so TW prices are irrelevant. Liquor stores cannot be owned by corporations in TN.

Not sure how this works here from what I understand there's similar laws in Texas. You can't own a certain number of stores. From what I recall the other big chain Spec's gets around this by having store names under different family members.

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Not sure how this works here from what I understand there's similar laws in Texas. You can't own a certain number of stores. From what I recall the other big chain Spec's gets around this by having store names under different family members.

I think there's a TX law about being based in Texas to be able to have a store here.  That's why Specs's sued Total Wine.  I lost track of that case, though.

Last week, I saw a bottle of Old Weller Antique 107 sitting on a shelf for 21.99. I had heard it was a wonderful bourbon, but most of the bourbons I have been enjoying have a higher rye mash bill, so I passed on the "wheater". Anyway, I kept reading up on the Old Weller, and everything just kept touting it. I went back to the store, only to find the bottle had been replaced by an out of stock tag.

Such is life.

I left several bottles (6?) of ETL which has been seldom seen in quantities greater than 1 or maybe 2 for over a year in my neck of the woods. 

I have good supply in the bunker, and bought a case of 'other stuff', so I left all the ETL for those others that have been pining for it.

Edited by Richnimrod
Spelling... duh

Passed on a 2017 Booker's at the new improved price point of $85.99. Kind of funny, I can't beg borrow or steal Barrel Proofs from Elijah Craig, CEH Taylor and even Bulliet. They just can't be found in my neck of the woods but ole Booker's languishes on the shelf in every store near me. 

9 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

Last week, I saw a bottle of Old Weller Antique 107 sitting on a shelf for 21.99. I had heard it was a wonderful bourbon, but most of the bourbons I have been enjoying have a higher rye mash bill, so I passed on the "wheater". Anyway, I kept reading up on the Old Weller, and everything just kept touting it. I went back to the store, only to find the bottle had been replaced by an out of stock tag.

Such is life.

OK , that was probably a miss.  ;)

Edited by smokinjoe

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Passed on a 2017 Booker's at the new improved price point of $85.99. Kind of funny, I can't beg borrow or steal Barrel Proofs from Elijah Craig, CEH Taylor and even Bulliet. They just can't be found in my neck of the woods but ole Booker's languishes on the shelf in every store near me. 

Passed on 2017-01 (Tommy's?) for $69.99 this week.  

Edited by mbroo5880i

I saw something new to me - Stone Hammer Distiller's Reserve.  From briefly examining the label I gather: it's bottled in Louisville, probably sourced from one of the big KY distillers.  

On June 2, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Buy Bookers....it's a steal at $50 for an obtainable barrel proofer.

sorry, I should have added that you need to search for a $50 bottle but that is the reality of modern dusty hunting.

Edited by Bbstout

I've been passing on Basil Hayden bourbon for $30, wondering if this is a great deal since it shows as discounted about $15. 

I've been passing on Basil Hayden bourbon for $30, wondering if this is a great deal since it shows as discounted about $15. 

That's probably what BH should sell for. As many will agree, BH needs to be either higher proofed at the price they normally sell it for it or it needs to be lower priced. I like it, but not for the price they usually ask for it. At $45 or so there are many better choices. At $30, I'd probably be a buyer.

At Heaven Hill, I passed on ECBP, EC grenades, William Heavenhill.
475c0957b6ad887efd2b5c5bd5863501.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That's probably what BH should sell for. As many will agree, BH needs to be either higher proofed at the price they normally sell it for it or it needs to be lower priced. I like it, but not for the price they usually ask for it. At $45 or so there are many better choices. At $30, I'd probably be a buyer.

I agree.  I get the pedigree of BH but I will just opt for OGDBIB at a significantly lower cost.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.