What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on a Jefferson's Reserve ocean aged today for $83.99. I have never tried it, but am curious. Is it worth the money?

It is not worth the money, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the tastes I've had from friends' bottles. I'd get a bottle for $50 or $60.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kwshannon said:

I've been passing on Basil Hayden bourbon for $30, wondering if this is a great deal since it shows as discounted about $15. 

I think it's a solid bourbon.  I can't really say anything great or bad about it.  It's a nice bourbon but doesn't really stand out in any way (especially given where the price normally sits).

4 hours ago, kwshannon said:

I've been passing on Basil Hayden bourbon for $30, wondering if this is a great deal since it shows as discounted about $15. 

I'd buy it for $30.

It's a good bourbon, just not worth the usual asking price. Though lower proof at 80, it's a bit older than the OGD brands from the same mashbill. 

Two bottles of EC18 at $130 each.    

Edited by theranman

1 hour ago, theranman said:

Because the Va ABC only got 138 bottles of EC18 they put them out for sale by lottery - for $130 (I didn't win). And you saw 2 bottles sitting on the shelf at the msrp price and you passed?

Yep, I guess I'm too cheap; I usually settle into the $20-$50 a bottle range.  I already have two bottles of  ECBP A117  that were about $53 each; is EC18 worth more than 2X the price of ECBP?   Frankly I was a little shocked to find either here in Ohio. 

18 minutes ago, theranman said:

Yep, I guess I'm too cheap; I usually settle into the $20-$50 a bottle range.  I already have two bottles of  ECBP A117  that were about $53 each; is EC18 worth more than 2X the price of ECBP?   Frankly I was a little shocked to find either here in Ohio. 

I've never tried it before and I wasn't going to enter the lottery but another poster suggested some horse trading if I did but alas I didn't win.

17 minutes ago, theranman said:

I kind of have to agree that ECBP is a much better value to me as well.  EC18 is perfectly fine, but dollar for dram, I'm gonna buy the ECBP every time.

13 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I kind of have to agree that ECBP is a much better value to me as well.  EC18 is perfectly fine, but dollar for dram, I'm gonna buy the ECBP every time.

Agree.  Just wish I could find ECBP at $53!

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Yeah, but then you'd have to get a storage locker and that would offset the low price....  :)

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I guess that's the main advantage of living in Ohio; the choice is limited but everything is at MSRP.  

1 hour ago, theranman said:

I guess that's the main advantage of living in Ohio; the choice is limited but everything is at MSRP.  

I can't find these in my area of the state. Would have picked up the ECBP if I had the chance. 

Pricey, but that's much cheaper than the $199 price they sell them for in the Heaven Hill gift shop. I'm not too keen about buying one at $199, but I probably would have bought one of those at $130 just to try it and have it for comparison to other longer aged bourbon. ECBP is a decent value purchase now, but if pricing keeps creeping up, it won't be much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Yeah, but then you'd have to get a storage locker and that would offset the low price....  :)

That's what the cabinet in my office at work is for. Shhhhhh.....

I was bored at lunch so I stopped in one of the local chain stores.  They generally have a good selection but a little high on their prices.  They had WTRB 116 on sale for $29.99.  Their price is normally $44.99.  I didn't find the previous version to be anything special.  I believe I paid $34 for it.  However, a BP bourbon from a major distiller for $29.99 is intriguing. 

It's good to see a plethora of OGD 114 back on the shelves.  I've been in TN the past few days, and every store around seems to have cases upon cases in the mid-20's range.  

First time I'd ever seen these. I know Australia has had them for years, but now they're here? (or am I just out of the loop on this?)

BTW, didn't buy any

Beam and Cola.jpg

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

It's good to see a plethora of OGD 114 back on the shelves.  I've been in TN the past few days, and every store around seems to have cases upon cases in the mid-20's range.  

Even if the price went up slightly, its availability will appeal to the masses!

I went to pick up beer at a local chain.  I got sticker shock seeing WTRB and KC Rye both around $50.  I left with the beer.

I was in Ireland and stopped at the Celtic whiskey store in Dublin (a great store by the way) to see their bourbon/rye collection. They had an okay collection but everything is priced really high there, mostly due to the Irish import & alcohol taxes. Stagg junior @ around 120 euro. Eagle rare around 60 euro. Weller SR @ 90 euro. Elijah Craig 12 year (not the NAS) @ 99. I also saw an OGD 40 % ABV which was in the same shaped bottle as OGD 114 over here, not sure if that is something I have missed previously but I had never seen it before, I think it was around 45 euro. They don't really have anything that you couldn't pick up fairly easily in the U.S. (no SFTB) and all the prices are way high so it's easy to pass. Their Irish whiskey collection is amazing though, probably the best you'll ever see, and prices are mostly comparable, or better than the U.S. Lots of dusty old bottles from decades ago, definitely worth a visit.

I stopped at a few stores while on vacation.  Passed on Knob Creek 25th, Barterhouse, forged oak, Angels Envy, various Whistlepigs, old forester single barrel, probably a few others.  I probably should have stocked up more on 4 Roses barrel strengths at $55.  I've always had good luck with those.

Nasa Liquor store in Webster, TX has at least 10 different SAOS single barrels.  They have a card with the barrel number, age, and proof.  Now if I can only pick 1...

Nasa Liquor store in Webster, TX has at least 10 different SAOS single barrels.  They have a card with the barrel number, age, and proof.  Now if I can only pick 1...

Ha been there I should of took a pic, very tough choice.

11 hours ago, kwshannon said:

ONE????

14 hours ago, kwshannon said:

did they also list who bottled each selection??  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.