What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, 0895 said:

I can confirm that this years batch(s) are much better.  They cut the vermouth way back.  

Do you know how the vermouth was cut back by so much?  

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Not specifically.  The distillery employees that I spoke with seemed to think less time in the finishing barrels.

They also mentioned with a wink, that information was an "unofficial statement"

They actually emptied the vermouth barrels first this time?

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

Heehee!  I was also wondering if they might elect to refill the earlier batches barrels to get less extraction.  

2 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Lmao!

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:14 AM, 0895 said:

I can confirm that this years batch(s) are much better.  They cut the vermouth way back.  The plan (as far as I've been told) is to make this an ongoing seasonal release each year. 

Midwinter in the fall/winter and Yippie in the spring/summer.

Perhaps they used the same barrels for a second time. Or used a mix of fresh and reused vermouth barrels.

I recently obtained my first bottle of RY Single Barrel, which I am thoroughly enjoying.  Checked a couple of stores this morning and they each had a bottle (behind the counter = above retail).  The first store $129.99, the second store $85.99.  I like it but it wasn't too hard to walk away at those prices.

Hmm......New car or new ORVW?
I'm gonna put the money towards the car......:)
IMAG2039.thumb.jpg.ad0120c290fd010985af16c323f72466.jpg

I like how all of the price tags say "everyday low price"! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I passed on a Bulliet Barrel Strength at $69.99.  Regular Bulliet isn't my thing so I can't justify paying that much for an unknown. 

I am traveling for work and staying in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I usually make it up here a 3 or 4 times a year and visit a couple of different stores.  I usually have luck finding something that I can't find at Indy in these stores.  This time was no different as I saw a single bottle of ECBP A117 on the shelf at one of the stores.  Since it usually doesn't hit the shelves in Indy, I bought it even thought it was $68.99.  I then headed to the opposite side of town to another store in the same chain.  It also had a bottle on the shelf but I passed.  I then visited the second store and they had 3 bottles on the shelf for $61.99.  It curbed my excitement on my initial find a little since I could have bought it cheaper.  However, I didn't know and there is nothing I can do about it now.

I ended up seeing 5 bottles of ECBP A117 on the shelf at three different stores.  I haven't seen ECBP on the shelf ever in Indy.  The lady at the first store was very nice and was surprised when I told her we don't find it often in Indy.  She said she thought we got everything being a bigger market.  I told her that was the problem, more people seeking higher end bottles.

If anyone lives in NE Indiana or will be traveling through Fort Wayne soon and is interested in the location of these bottles, PM me and I can provide information.  Both stores are located close to I-69.  Both store have several store selects and other interesting bottles (e.g., CEHT SB).

12 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I know where I'm getting my next Stagg Jr.

7b7149bbc016312a58934e694fabbdac.jpg

This would have been a pick up for me today if I would have some it at this price.

This would have been a pick up for me today if I would have some it at this price.

I her ya, but I've got a bottle and was in there a few months ago and they had this, so no rush.

Nice score on the ECBP.

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I her ya, but I've got a bottle and was in there a few months ago and they had this, so no rush.

Nice score on the ECBP.

Yep, these seem to be well stocked on the STJR.  It is interesting how distribution works.  We probably have things you would love to see on the shelf and you have things we would love to see on the shelf.  

Did some window-shopping while attending (without spousal supervision) my 50th college reunion.  WSR 750 was 79.99, and the OWA was 99.99.  Other prices in the store were comparably marked up.  On my way out, I got a, "Can I help you with something?"  ANS - "Nope.  At your prices, I can order next-day delivery from Binnie's, get next-day delivery, and still have enough money left over for a good cigar."  Response, "Who is Binnie?"

36 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

FWIW, I don't think I've seen Stagg Jr. for less than $60 in my area although it's NEVER more than $99.99.B)

Yep, these seem to be well stocked on the STJR.  It is interesting how distribution works.  We probably have things you would love to see on the shelf and you have things we would love to see on the shelf.  

Yup would of been super excited about the store selects.

They seem hard to come by in Houston.

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, I don't think I've seen Stagg Jr. for less than $60 in my area although it's NEVER more than $99.99.B)

Harry, StaggJr (130 pf) is still available around here for $38.99 (no tax  :P)!  I'll be heading to Richmond to officiate at a swim meet in August - want I should bring you a bottle (or 2)???    ;)

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Harry, StaggJr (130 pf) is still available around here for $38.99 (no tax  :P)!  I'll be heading to Richmond to officiate at a swim meet in August - want I should bring you a bottle (or 2)???    ;)

That's amazing. It's $52.99 at VA ABC's (plus tax). 

17 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Did some window-shopping while attending (without spousal supervision) my 50th college reunion.  WSR 750 was 79.99, and the OWA was 99.99.  Other prices in the store were comparably marked up.  On my way out, I got a, "Can I help you with something?"  ANS - "Nope.  At your prices, I can order next-day delivery from Binnie's, get next-day delivery, and still have enough money left over for a good cigar."  Response, "Who is Binnie?"

But Binnie's only ships within the state of Illinois?  That's NOT a defense of that store's pricing.  I've had this same conversation with local stores before.  Once when asking about Elmer T. Lee that she had priced at $69.99 she replied that her's was the "lowest price in town".  Sadly, she was right.  I still didn't buy it.

Harry, StaggJr (130 pf) is still available around here for $38.99 (no tax  [emoji14])!  I'll be heading to Richmond to officiate at a swim meet in August - want I should bring you a bottle (or 2)???    [emoji6]

Where do you live, $39 for Stagg Jr, store picks of WA107 on the shelf. I need to move just for the bourbon selection.

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Where do you live, $39 for Stagg Jr, store picks of WA107 on the shelf. I need to move just for the bourbon selection.

Metrowest Boston.  Loch & K(e)y Society picks, no tax whiskey and great prices from stiff competition makes up for a lot of other things around here . . .  :ph34r:

RY 10yr for $150....   I only stop by these Bourbon pimps for a laugh, which I did to their faces.  Was still just polite enough though and put the box back on the shelf with the other 5.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.