What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened a bottle of Hancocks today - been eyeing it on the office shelf for a while and said what the heck.  Past couple of days I've been sampling a store pick ER10 that is delicious.  

Had some FR Al Young tonight, pretty impressive, it packs some favors, but smooth in the same time, you feel it's old, oily but not thick. Finish goes on and on! Some fruitiness long after, truly excellent. 

Now, I need another one. 

1 minute ago, Masset1982 said:

Had some FR Al Young tonight, pretty impressive, it packs some favors, but smooth in the same time, you feel it's old, oily but not thick. Finish goes on and on! Some fruitiness long after, truly excellent. 

Now, I need another one. 

I just tried this yesterday thanks to a friend and SBr locally.  You summed it up nicely, I was surprised I didn't get more bitterness from the age of the blend but the finish and flavor is very good

17 minutes ago, Hop said:

I just tried this yesterday thanks to a friend and SBr locally.  You summed it up nicely, I was surprised I didn't get more bitterness from the age of the blend but the finish and flavor is very good

Didn't find any flaws, a hit for me, really enjoyed it. Finish is pretty long, keeps evolving, I get a fruity bananas flavor at the end, a very special pour. Cheers! 

18 minutes ago, beasled said:

WT13. It's underrated I think. The lower proof gives it a bad name but there's a lot going on besides proof. 

Cheers to that, this means more for us.;-) 

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Talk about timing. I saw this post earlier today and then what did I happen to see at one of my favorite liquor stores? Blaum Bros. Knotter Bourbon 10yr CS. At $78 for a bottle though, I decided to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was $80 at the distillery. But I saw it at a LS not far out of Galena for $70. Considering a Old Scout SB is often $60, if you can even find it, & its the same DNA, I would have paid the extra $10. However, I couldnt afford the $70 at that moment so I passed.

OWA is so so good. And I'm a 4R high rye type. I have half a fifth and one stashed. Gotta ration it. 

A healthy pour of OF 100pf while watching the Cardinals take it to the Reds. Man, I'm really loving this bourbon!

The Woodinville Whiskey private barrel pick I participated in came in yesterday so I dropped by the store to pick up a few. Very happy to confirm that it's a good as I remember it being.

It's a single barrel barrel proof pick that comes in at 120.76 proof (these guys have a low barrel entry proof) that has a full and rich body and flavor. It could be more complex but this is darn good for a 5+ yr old craft bourbon. Cost is $46 which is a refreshing price point for a barrel strength craft bourbon. 

The Woodinville Whiskey private barrel pick I participated in came in yesterday so I dropped by the store to pick up a few. Very happy to confirm that it's a good as I remember it being.
It's a single barrel barrel proof pick that comes in at 120.76 proof (these guys have a low barrel entry proof) that has a full and rich body and flavor. It could be more complex but this is darn good for a 5+ yr old craft bourbon. Cost is $46 which is a refreshing price point for a barrel strength craft bourbon. 

Wow! I'm almost shocked at that price from a craft distiller. That is certainly not representative of most these days. I'm to the point that I think I may just stop buying any more NDP or craft distillery stuff for a while because the prices have gotten to be ridiculous! Many of my local LS have been telling me about all of the PS barrel picks that they have coming in over the next few months, and I know there will be some good bourbon at great prices, so why bother with the ridiculously priced NDP and craft stuff even though some of it is also very good.

Started with Mckenna single BIB, moved on to Pikeville rye and after the family went to bed Im finishing with some Rock Hill Farms.

Playing around with some blends… a 50/50 mix of BH with OGD114 followed by another 50/50 mix of 130 proof Stagg Jr. and a store pick BT.

Both better than expected.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, LCWoody said:

Had some Weller 12y tonight. It had a great chocolate taste tonight that I love. 

Interesting as chocolate was never something I saw mentioned with regard to W12, it never presented in the bottles I had except for the very last one and that was a couple years ago ( I have since given up even thinking about it). That bottle did have a wonderful chocolate note and it was far and away the best W12 I ever had, I miss that bottle.

Had a pour of the Elliot's Select, quIte nice. Now, sipping some HMK 10yo, great sipping whiskey, reminds me to buy a few for the bunker. 

Cheers! 

Will

Thanks to a cold the last few days, been using HH6yrBIB - strictly for medicinal purposes (I find straight out of the fridge, it brings the just boiled garlic tea to just the right temperature). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.