What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Oh.My.God. this stuff is good. Problem is the wife thinks so too. She even let the dog lick a drop off her finger tip and now he won't leave her alone. He likes it too.

I had only tried GTS once before a few years ago (2013 maybe?) and I don't recall it being nearly this good.

20170904_204626-756x1008.jpg

Holy cow.  You finally did it!  Congrats buddy.

Just a suggestion, use your norlan glass for that release.  Cuts the fumes back so you can get more flavors.

Also, save me a sip.  :)

Having a SBS of Parker's Heritage POH, and a recent store selection of Elijah Craig Small Batch, single barrel store selection, that is 10 years old.  Both are tasting good tonight!

13 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Sipping a 4R PS OESK tonight under the Full Moon while listening to the Blues & smoking a stogie. 

The moon is crazy big tonight! Night cap of ER10. Cheers. 

Was nightcapping with a CEHT BP, accidentally took too big of a sip and near-choked on alcohol fumes, and in the ensuing cough attack literally spewed whiskey out of my nose. Now doing this with a glass of soda is annoying, but BP whiskey is something else I found out today. It was (and still is) very, very painful, and my nasal passage is ruined.

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Was nightcapping with a CEHT BP, accidentally took too big of a sip and near-choked on alcohol fumes, and in the ensuing cough attack literally spewed whiskey out of my nose. Now doing this with a glass of soda is annoying, but BP whiskey is something else I found out today. It was (and still is) very, very painful, and my nasal passage is ruined.

Obviously, you won't want to drink that swill ever again - just feel free to give me a call and I'll be over to properly dispose of the toxic materials.  I'm a licensed Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth and can legally handle your problems!   :rolleyes:

Clearly I was having an off palate night last night - I started off with a BT SB @ 8.5 yrs old and it wasn't tasting at all in line with where it had been, moved on to the final pour from a HMK10BIB and had the same issues, finally I went to an old standby HH6BIB and even it wasn't tasting right so that confirmed it was just me not the bourbon.

Only thing I can figure is I traveled quite a bit in the past couple of days, 600 miles on Sunday and then did a 120 mile ride up into the mountains of NC yesterday and that may have my senses messed up...

10 hours ago, Kane said:

I had some 16 GTS last night which at 144.1 is the highest proof bourbon I've ever had. There was some burn on the nose and mouth and gave a big boom warming sensation in the chest but not as much burn as I expected.

However, this morning the roof of my mouth feels like I ate something really hot and burned it. I can't imagine getting this stuff in my sinuses!!

12 hours ago, 0895 said:

Holy cow.  You finally did it!  Congrats buddy.

Just a suggestion, use your norlan glass for that release.  Cuts the fumes back so you can get more flavors.

Also, save me a sip.  :)

Your sip is saved! I was actually inspired by your W12 post to have something good for the holiday. My daughter bought the GTS for me for father's day and I had to wait till she was there to open it. (She said it smelled like death!!)

I took your suggestion and tried the Norlan glass but I actually preferred the concentrated nose in the Glencairn.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Your sip is saved! I was actually inspired by your W12 post to have something good for the holiday. My daughter bought the GTS for me for father's day and I had to wait till she was there to open it. (She said it smelled like death!!)

I took your suggestion and tried the Norlan glass but I actually preferred the concentrated nose in the Glencairn.

Glad you're enjoying it.

GTS is and probably always will be my #1.

:)

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

I had some 16 GTS last night which at 144.1 is the highest proof bourbon I've ever had. There was some burn on the nose and mouth and gave a big boom warming sensation in the chest but not as much burn as I expected.

However, this morning the roof of my mouth feels like I ate something really hot and burned it. I can't imagine getting this stuff in my sinuses!!

No joke. Looks like I caused some serious damage yesterday :) Today I cautiously poured myself a mellow 80 proof Cognac, but couldn't even take a sip, as soon as I get the glass anywhere near my nose it burns the inside of my head. Switched to a beer and forced it down, but even that caused bad nasal irritation. I guess I'll resort to tasting some fine diet coke for a bit. See you next week folks!

A co-worker brought this in to work for a drink. It was pretty impressive. Not nearly as woody as I would've expected.
42872e48a3670021913107306d3c4e92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And speaking of really old hooch, here's what I got into tonight. Larry Kass gave me this bottle at the KYBF in 2002, and I haven't revisited it in at least a decade. Still tastes a bit like ... an extinguished campfire!

EW23.jpg

Plus, taking a cue from "the boss", have another lined up on deck. Thanks to those that made it happen back in the day.

cf85e809cdaeda368fa3eb9714137de5.jpg

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bottle was given to me a little over a month ago. I've not had much craft bourbon. While I don't enjoy this near as much as similar priced bourbons from my favorite distilleries, it's not bad. 

IMG_4084.JPG

I'm enjoying some KCSB.  This came from a grocery store.  I have no additional info on the barrel.  It's at least 9 years old per label.  I do get the single barrel variation with these; but every one has been good.  

On 9/1/2017 at 8:53 PM, Kpiz said:

It hit 99 degrees here in SF today and I was looking forward to some bourbon over ice all day. WT products always seem to do well with some ice and this store selection of RR is no exception. I hope the cult doesn't shun me...
9277a9ca0e0ff284cf8b70797c1decb7.jpg

There is a secret division of the cult that drinks Turkey products in tandem. Both distilleries are located in Lawrenceburg KY and they are pals so this is allowed.

Had some OGD BIB tonight from a recently acquired bottle.  I feel that this bottle is very hot compared to bottles I've had in the past; new label and orange label.  

On 05/09/2017 at 3:56 AM, Clueby said:

Oh.My.God. this stuff is good. Problem is the wife thinks so too. She even let the dog lick a drop off her finger tip and now he won't leave her alone. He likes it too.

I had only tried GTS once before a few years ago (2013 maybe?) and I don't recall it being nearly this good.

20170904_204626-756x1008.jpg

Excellent pour, liked the 2013 better, but I've never a bad Stagg. It's always a real pleasure to experience. One of the best bourbon out there. 

Will. 

IMG_8882.thumb.JPG.f4bfaa1da064a734cb4731d0c836b9b1.JPG

Had that one earlier. Not bad either. 

Cheers!

Can't say enjoy is the right word, but I just bought the Woodford double oak barrel aged. Will post my tasting notes in that thread.

Edited by BourbonDude

For a short week at work, it's sure been a long one so far. :mellow: I'm having a small pour of BT. It's a small one because it's the last pour from the bottle. ^_^ There's a distinct possibility that I might have something else later on. :P

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.