What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Kalessin said:

Nice selection!   Be careful with the load capacity of the plastic cover on the Pioneer turntable...replacements can be hard to find! :)

Fair point, though of all the turntables I have had, this one is really a tank especially for a belt drive! Probably the turntable equivalent of some of those Cask Strength bottles in the picture. 

Finishing off a Binny's KCSB #4782.  This one is about 12 1/2 years old if I remember correctly.  Every pour has taken a little work to blend to a preferred flavor profile.  Some nights it is stellar, other nights ok.  I bought another KCSB the same day #4519 that is exactly 10 years old to the day.  I like it better.  I would still buy another bottle of #4782 if they have it next time I am in Chicago.

Finished an OBSF 11yr 5m from Binny's. Quite nice, really velvety mouthfeel.

Up next is some Booker's 2016-1 Bluegrass batch.

Watching the Virginia Tech/West Virginia game. Life is good.

I honestly don't even remember what I poured in this glass, but after a busy weekend manning the smoker (pork butt yesterday and salmon today), i'm relaxing for a few minutes on the patio by the pool and pergula. Very happy to not have to go to work tomorrow!

IMG_20170903_204335.jpg

6 minutes ago, dcbt said:

I honestly don't even remember what I poured in this glass, but after a busy weekend manning the smoker (pork butt yesterday and salmon today), i'm relaxing for a few minutes on the patio by the pool and pergula. Very happy to not have to go to work tomorrow!

IMG_20170903_204335.jpg

Ah, the unintentional blind tasting! Nicely done.... :D

6 hours ago, Insanityabounds said:

Was having a glass of EHTSmB while reading and came across this article. Guess all things EH Taylor could get even harder to find if it starts stacking awards this season.  http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2017/09/colonel-e-h-taylor-jr-single-barrel-named-best-american-whiskey-at-2017-international-spirits-challenge-american-whiskey-news/

I wouldn't worry too much.  Devil's cut also won a "gold medal"

I got talked into buying a bottle of Walthen's Single Barrel by a LS assistant manager a few months ago based on his high regard for the ones he'd been getting from the store. I'm just opening this tonight for the first pour. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this (being a single barrel probably has something to do with those mixed reviews), so I've been putting off opening this bottle. This reminds me of a higher proof EWSB without an age statement, but I'd guess that this is somewhere in the 6-9 year old range. If this continues to be as good as my first pour, I may have to go back and pick up another bottle or two if they still have bottles from the same barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

This reminds me of a higher proof EWSB without an age statement, but I'd guess that this is somewhere in the 6-9 year old range. If this continues to be as good as my first pour, I may have to go back and pick up another bottle or two if they still have bottles from the same barrel.

Reads like you got a good one. Mine was boring, but like you say, every barrel is different.

12 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Reads like you got a good one. Mine was boring, but like you say, every barrel is different.

Mine was all peanuts, can't say I liked it. 

Belle Meade 9 yr. Sherry aged 90 proof.

I think this is my first time with this, having tried the regular Belle Meade before.

The bottle has a sticker saying it won a double gold at the SF World of Spirits 2015, which I've attended in the past. Impressive.

So does it live up to the hype? Well, at $79 plus tax where I live it's not cheap. I don't know if it's worth a double gold, or even the +$80 cost, but it certainly isn't a disappointment like so many other super premium bourbons have been for me in recent years.

It's definitely a very pleasant, enjoyable whisky. Very soft, almost silky on the palate, and the sherry character comes thru very clearly. It definitely goes down easy. It does have good flavor, but (and perhaps this is just a limitation of my palate) the juice is so soft and refined and elegant that on my perhaps aging taste buds I have trouble separating the flavors. The finish comes a little too quick, but that is partly because it's a light to medium spirit in terms of body.

So my main quip is that for this kind of money I prefer a bigger, more intense and flavorful spirit. This one is almost too elegant and refined for my tastes. It's basically the bourbon equivalent of a cognac. In fact it would probably be one of my main choices to give to cognac drinkers who say they don't like bourbon. It could also work for single malt aficianadoes who prefer heavily sherried drams like some versions of Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Longmorn, Glenturret, etc.

So bottom line, I for the most part give it a thumbs up, partly because there aren't many other things out there like it. Would I buy it again? Maybe, but for this price level I'm more likely to go for a Bookers, Stagg, Parkers, etc. For now (and on the last day of this holiday weekend), am I going to have a second pour? You bet!

Edited by BourbonDude

5 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

For now (and on the last day of this holiday weekend), am I going to have a second Pour? You bet!

I see that you are seriously enjoying the holidays & your bourbon if you are having your 2nd pour at this time of the day in Hawaii :)

I also decided to pour a RRSB PS with my lunch. Life is good.

27 minutes ago, Kane said:

I see that you are seriously enjoying the holidays & your bourbon if you are having your 2nd pour at this time of the day in Hawaii :)

I also decided to pour a RRSB PS with my lunch. Life is good.

LOL. I should have mentioned we're in Maryland right now, but if we were in Hawaii that wouldn't have stopped me. :-)

Edited by BourbonDude

Time will tell for sure, but the first couple of pours were definitely a pleasant surprise given such little enthusiasm for this by many other SB members over the years. I do wonder whether they are letting this age a little longer now though. My bottle, which was bottled in October 2016, appears to be a good bit darker in color than many pictures that I've seen in blog reviews, but the lighting in those older pics could be causing that perceived difference in color too I guess.

Enjoying a smoke and some 4R OESQ today, very tasty stuff, I would say better than most things I've opened lately [emoji1303]d80691f5c97ec550b0c336bed4cc0a27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a pour of 1792FP SP, emptied this bottle. Will have to get more. 

Finished the night with a couple pours of EHTSB. Emptied this bottle as well. 

Suffering rather more than a bit from a cold I picked up traveling a few days ago; but wanted to have a little something to ward off further infections.    Entirely for medicinal reasons ya' know.  

Anyway, I decided on a pour of PH Malt Whiskey, since that stuff has such a peculiar flavor, I'd know instantly whether or not I'm tasting properly.     I'm not.     So, I quit at one pour.

Anyway, I decided on a pour of PH Malt Whiskey, since that stuff has such a peculiar flavor, I'd know instantly whether or not I'm tasting properly.     I'm not.     So, I quit at one pour.

I saw a shelf of these at one of my locals, $150 a bottle.

Based on your feedback glad I didn't get one. Supposedly these came accidentally in a case of HMCK10.

Well I started the day with a pour of 4R Yellow Label then moved on to 4R SmB and then some 4R SiB.  After that it was some MM White Dog, followed by MM, followed by MM 46, MM CS and finished with some MM 46 PS.  Yes we (the family and some friends) did a tasting at the Cox's Creek 4R location and then drove on down to MM for a tour and a tasting.  

All this while having two 10 oz. filets and three 12 - 14 oz. NY strips marinating all day.  

Once we got home while I was warming up the grill we sliced up some heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil then drizzled them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Wife did the penne pasta with garlic and broccoli.  That paired well with a Kendall-Jackson reserve Cabernet.  Finished it off with some Graeter's Vanilla Bean ice cream with sea salt caramel chocolate sauce and a dessert wine called Java Vino.

All in all a very enjoyable Labor Day.

Suffering rather more than a bit from a cold I picked up traveling a few days ago; but wanted to have a little something to ward off further infections.    Entirely for medicinal reasons ya' know.  

Rich, that's when I reach for a pour of bitters...in particular Gammel Dansk. I don't remember if you tried it back in April when I brought it to the Sampler or not, but it always seems to make me feel better when I have a cold. Unfortunately, I still don't think it's available in the US, but others bitters might work just as well. It's sort of like drinking a liquid Rikola herbal cough drop with a kick.

Oh.My.God. this stuff is good. Problem is the wife thinks so too. She even let the dog lick a drop off her finger tip and now he won't leave her alone. He likes it too.

I had only tried GTS once before a few years ago (2013 maybe?) and I don't recall it being nearly this good.

20170904_204626-756x1008.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.