What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on these:

W12 - asking $74 for a 750ml    (I've actually got a small surplus of W12 right now) That price isn't bad as secondary but pretty dang high

Four Grain - After trying of few of the EHT special batches.........I'm considering placing all of these into the "fad" category

RY10 - ($78)   I have really been looking for a bottle of this to try.  But that price is ridiculous. 
IMG_1432.JPG.236f6712592f9ce7767c63ebc9952142.JPG
IMG_1431.JPG.dc70bc7fa8662a43475aa34f167a36d7.JPG

This pricing is fascinating. $80 for 4G a hard to find LE, but over $70 for W12 and RY10.

5 hours ago, FredBear said:

Four Grai t - After trying of few of the EHT special batches.........I'm considering placing all of these into the "fad" category

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

Different strokes I guess. I like the Seasoned wood and Four Grain I have tried. I doubt youre referring to the BP but of course It 

Is widely considered excellent

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

This pricing is fascinating. $80 for 4G a hard to find LE, but over $70 for W12 and RY10.

I thought it was odd too.  I looked hard for the 4G with no luck, so I wouldn't have a problem paying $80 for it.  No way in Hades I would pay that price for RY10 though, even if I didn't have a replacement bottle for the one I currently have open.  I paid $45 for the 2 I have and think that was overpriced for the quality.

Not today but yesterday since the stores were closed today... RHF @ $80, ETL @ $100, Whoop & Holler at whatever it was priced as I had no interest, a few 4RPS mainly due to the young age of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know where to put this, so it landed here. I have passed on Hillhaven Lodge a ton of times. Sharp looking bottle, but I have heard the bourbon tastes pedestrian. I was watching a video of Courtney Love's birthday party and saw a nearly emptied bottle on the table. c3a131485170ff08ca8afef23b57c02c.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Come across a store with several nice bottles but they sure were on the high side...

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

9 minutes ago, Stump1998 said:

Come across a store with several nice bottles but they sure were on the high side...

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

Yessir, on the high side( along with those in your post below)...but, not grossly so, considering the nice selection.  This looks to be a retailer with an eye on the "market", but not looking to take significant advantage of it.  IOW, those aren't stupid and insulting prices, but does allow him to make a ( what is in my opinion) reasonable premium on some high demand bourbons.  

36 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yessir, on the high side( along with those in your post below)...but, not grossly so, considering the nice selection.  This looks to be a retailer with an eye on the "market", but not looking to take significant advantage of it.  IOW, those aren't stupid and insulting prices, but does allow him to make a ( what is in my opinion) reasonable premium on some high demand bourbons.  

He had probably the best selection of bottles on the self I have seen in a long time. If I had some extra cash I probably would have picked up a few things.

14 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I didn't know where to put this, so it landed here. I have passed on Hillhaven Lodge a ton of times. Sharp looking bottle, but I have heard the bourbon tastes pedestrian. I was watching a video of Courtney Love's birthday party and saw a nearly emptied bottle on the table. c3a131485170ff08ca8afef23b57c02c.jpg

Perhaps the restaurant/bar/establishment wanted that bottle gone and figured she wouldn't know any better...

;)

Perhaps the restaurant/bar/establishment wanted that bottle gone and figured she wouldn't know any better...
[emoji6]

It seems to be a major shelf turd around here, but I think it may be from California.

15 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

It seems to be a major shelf turd around here, but I think it may be from California.

It was commissioned by an entity in California, but it's from Diageo. You can buy it at the Bulleit gift shop at the old Stitzel Weller distillery.  

W12.  Unfortunately, the call (do you want another 750?) came from one of my main mongers in FL, while I am currently in the motherland.  :wacko:

Oh well, as least my name now goes back on the list! 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

W12.  Unfortunately, the call (do you want another 750?) came from one of my main mongers in FL, while I am currently in the motherland.  :wacko:

Oh well, as least my name now goes back on the list! 

I love that you have a monger in Florida who will call you.

^^^^Sometimes, it pays to get around!  :lol:

Unfortunately, the 48 hour hold rule worked against me (this time:)). 

Picked up Stagg Jr. $50

Passed on 4 Roses 50th $200, Jefferson's Sauternes Cask Finish $137

53 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Picked up Stagg Jr. $50

I still haven't seen any of the 4R 50th here in Texas or know anybody who has seen it.  I would have a hard time passing on that, but the price tag is steep.

Got an email that an online store had some of their store pick Weller Antique 107 left over. I added one to my cart and contemplated checking out but it was $60 for the bottle and $17 for the shipping. I ultimately passed. I love the stuff and store picks of it are usually excellent but that's a bit steep.

Picked up Stagg Jr. $50

I passed on the Stagg Jr (I have quite a few in my storage closet) and the Jefferson's, but I couldn't resist the 4 Roses 50th even though the price was steep. I don't know if I'll get another opportunity at a lower price, but I did hesitate for a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passed on some WT MKD this weekend. $98 not a bad price. 
IMG_1924.thumb.JPG.e856f3fade6719d6e0097a51b302288d.JPG

Wow! I don't think I could have passed on it at that price! I haven't bought any locally yet, but it is readily available at $150 in many stores. I'll probably buy one at some point, but would love to find it for a lower price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still having a hard time believing I went in to two Binny's yesterday with a $10 off coupon and came out empty handed :blink:

My wife and I were shopping in the western Chicago suburbs for furniture and it just so happened that Binny's had sent me an email with the coupon earlier in the week. During our travels to various furniture stores we came across the Binny's stores so I had to stop even though there really wasn't anything I was looking for. Sure, they had plenty of options but none that screamed "buy me" so I walked out with nothing. 

As an aside, that never would have happened if I'd been at their Lincoln Park store and met up with Lost Pollito. If there's no bourbon that hits me, Joe always has me taste some other goodies, mostly from the darkside ("you have to try this!") and I end up buying a few hundred $$ of outstanding private selection or unique whiskies that are ones I never would've have thought about :P. God I love that man! (that's not wrong, is it?)

9 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I'm still having a hard time believing I went in to two Binny's yesterday with a $10 off coupon and came out empty handed :blink:

My wife and I were shopping in the western Chicago suburbs for furniture and it just so happened that Binny's had sent me an email with the coupon earlier in the week. During our travels to various furniture stores we came across the Binny's stores so I had to stop even though there really wasn't anything I was looking for. Sure, they had plenty of options but none that screamed "buy me" so I walked out with nothing. 

As an aside, that never would have happened if I'd been at their Lincoln Park store and met up with Lost Pollito. If there's no bourbon that hits me, Joe always has me taste some other goodies, mostly from the darkside ("you have to try this!") and I end up buying a few hundred $$ of outstanding private selection or unique whiskies that are ones I never would've have thought about :P. God I love that man! (that's not wrong, is it?)

Yep, great guy!  I am going up to North Chicago in a couple of weeks.  I would have loved to have used the coupon on a couple of those KCSB private selections.   I usually hit Highland Park.

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

You and me both. Debated a KCSB pick, despite not being typically in my wheelhouse they were appealing. Then rolled over to check out the calvados, but my restraint got the better of me as I'd like to knock off a few open bottles before adding more to the bunker. Shocking indeed!

Passed on some WT MKD this weekend. $98 not a bad price. 
IMG_1924.thumb.JPG.e856f3fade6719d6e0097a51b302288d.JPG

Didn't even bother to look at Spec's considering it's $120 at TW. For this price I may pull the trigger. Was considering haggling with a small store to see if I could get a WTMK 17 for $100 out the door. However may go for this instead based on recent comments.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.